Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

change.org petition against new AMC hut in Crawford Notch

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

i'm all for it. bring it on
      Me too. I think there should be a hut every mile. A resting bench every 1/4 mile and those binoculars on the green stands that take dollars and credit cards instead of quarters. Put them in between the benches. That should rake in some dough.
      credit card powered zip lines
      They definitely need one of those going NOBO down into Port Clinton.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i think i'm gonna die before my element does.
      how many miles?
      only 50k its still a baby. my mechanic has one; 250K and no major problems yet.
      I'm 280000 miles on my 2002 Accord. I'm trying to get to 300000.
      My 2002 Subaru Forester has 337,000+ miles with no unreasonable repairs and is our "new" car that we use when we want to be sure we are going to get to our destination. Our other car is a 1971 VW bus that is more rust than metal and has an unknown amount of miles. But to be fair we did put a good rebuilt engine in it in 2000 and don't go very far in it because it takes too long to get anyplace :P
      215K on the Fish Car
      It was a pleasure to get to ride in the Fish Car.
    • CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i think i'm gonna die before my element does.
      how many miles?
      only 50k its still a baby. my mechanic has one; 250K and no major problems yet.
      I'm 280000 miles on my 2002 Accord. I'm trying to get to 300000.
      My 2002 Subaru Forester has 337,000+ miles with no unreasonable repairs and is our "new" car that we use when we want to be sure we are going to get to our destination. Our other car is a 1971 VW bus that is more rust than metal and has an unknown amount of miles. But to be fair we did put a good rebuilt engine in it in 2000 and don't go very far in it because it takes too long to get anyplace :P
      215K on the Fish Car
      It was a pleasure to get to ride in the Fish Car.
    • OzJacko wrote:

As I am always right, I prefer the description dissertation.
      ;)
      Hey, I wrote one of those to get my PhD. Personally I think the chair and committee made it harder than it needed to be. The research, gathering data, and originally writing it was not so bad. It was all the editing and rewriting to make everyone happy that got old.
    • Astro wrote:

To prepare for me doing the Whites I believe the AMC should take some of that money and put sky lifts on the way up and zip lines down.
      Of course this would only for NoBo. The SoBo's take way too much pride in how everything is tougher for them.
    • Astro wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

;)
      Hey, I wrote one of those to get my PhD. Personally I think the chair and committee made it harder than it needed to be. The research, gathering data, and originally writing it was not so bad. It was all the editing and rewriting to make everyone happy that got old.
      sounds like the right of passage mentality that plages many fields.
    • socks wrote:

Astro wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

;)
      sounds like the right of passage mentality that plages many fields.
      Sorta like staying at the Doyle, but that was one night.
    • In round numbers it's 240,000 miles to the moon.
      Whenever I take my car in for service they tell me it's time to start thinking about a new car.
      I reply that because Subaru makes a good car, and they do such good work that I've got enough miles to have traveled to the moon. Now they've got to help me get home before I can consider a new car. I've got a little more than 140,000 miles to go.
    • HB here it is very bluntly... No regrets. No drama, Much like a debate. The energy level is not there, for both of us... Mags has me on block IDGAD. But here it is - I get it. I dont care who is right. Its about critical thinking. I am not trying to win. But folks that read this will question the issues that matter.

I debate - because that is what I did do in college.

Folks, if you read this far.... There is no way you can raise a building on state land or federal without a study of the property. Period. Years ago they dropped a steel pipe and covered it and paved it. Under the current regulation a state park culvert in PA takes two to three years due to conservation.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• WiseOldOwl wrote:

HB here it is very bluntly... No regrets. No drama, its OK you appear to not be able to handle an argument. Much like a debate. The energy level is not there, for both of us... Mags has me on block IDGAD. But here it is - I get it. I dont care who is right,so long as it's me. Its about critical thinking. I am not trying to win. But folks that read this will question the issues that matter.
      I debate - because that is what I did do in college.

Folks, if you read this far.... There is no way you can raise a building on state land or federal without a study of the property. Period. Years ago they dropped a steel pipe and covered it and paved it. Under the current regulation a state park culvert in PA takes two to three years due to conservation.
      Huh?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

HB here it is very bluntly... No regrets. No drama, its OK you appear to not be able to handle an argument. Much like a debate. The energy level is not there, for both of us... Mags has me on block IDGAD. But here it is - I get it. I dont care who is right. Its about critical thinking. I am not trying to win,so long as it's me. But folks that read this will question the issues that matter.I debate - because that is what I did do in college.

Huh?
      You cannot build or replace a small insignificant bridge in the USA without a huge study from several sconces
    • I know all about working with government agencies- DEQ, VMC, DOT, Corps of Engineers, not to mention local Planning, Zoning, Public Works, Utilities, and Building Inspection. I sometimes work on land development projects.The paperwork and hoops you must jump thru are unreal but there is good reason behind all of it.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

HB here it is very bluntly... No regrets. No drama, its OK you appear to not be able to handle an argument. Much like a debate. The energy level is not there, for both of us... Mags has me on block IDGAD. But here it is - I get it. I dont care who is right. Its about critical thinking. I am not trying to win,so long as it's me. But folks that read this will question the issues that matter.I debate - because that is what I did do in college.
      Huh?
      You cannot build or replace a small insignificant bridge in the USA without a huge study from several sconces

??
      dictionary.reference.com/browse/sconce
      its all good
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

I meant sources - EPA & various Dept of regulatory agencies at the federal, state, and local level to ensure projects comply with all environmental regulations. You cannot put a building up on federal or state land without a lot of paperwork and compliance.

Hense the petition is a lie.
      I'm sure that is true. But you have to admit, it is probably much easier for a business that has built in the area before and got approved for similar buildings than it would be for an unknown entity.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Did I miss something in the articles?
      Did it say somewhere that there were no studies and no approvals?
      I don't remember seeing that.
      change.org/p/forest-users-who-…ition&utm_medium=copylink

This goes back to the first post.... its in the petition. Chris started the petition

Ben Rattray The 32-year-old law school dropout runs one of the biggest sites on the Web for anyone seeking to pressure politicians, corporations or others with a public shame campaign. Change.org is best known for helping Trayvon Martin’s parents get the man who shot him arrested, ending Bank of America‘s $5 monthly checking account fees and helping Bettina Siegel get the U.S. Department of Agriculture to ban “pink slime” from school lunches. But the site’s greater impact may be the thousands of lesser-known petitions–15,000 are created monthly–started by everyday Joes who blast their call for signatures through their e-mail directories and social networks. Responding to one of these petitions is the ultimate in armchair slacktivism. Check a box because a friend of a friend tells you to, and you have done something good for the day. Change.org now has 20 million members and is adding 2 million a month.
      The service is free, and with a name like Change.org the company even sounds like a not-for-profit. But it’s not. It was founded in 2007 and spent the better part of two years flailing around for a profitable business model until Rattray hit upon a clever approach. Change.org charges groups for the privilege of sponsoring petitions that are matched to users who have similar interests. For example, when a person signs a petition about education and clicks “submit,” a box pops up and shows five sponsored petitions on education to also sign. If a user leaves a box checked that says “Keep me updated on this campaign and others,” the sponsor can then send e-mails directly to that person. It’s not clear from the check box that your e-mail address is being sold to a not-for-profit. Rattray says an imminent site redesign will make the company’s business model more transparent. Change.org has 300 paying clients, including Sierra Club, Credo Wireless and Amnesty International, and its revenue so far this year is $15 million.
      Some of the petitioners FORBES spoke with didn’t know Change was a for-profit. Rattray says the .org connotes the company’s social mission, and it is a certified B Corporation, which means a social mission is written into its bylaws. But he acknowledges the messaging could be better and plans to improve it: “We need to be better about telling about that combination.”
    • I did start the change.org petition, seems like a good tool to me. I don't have facebook; it's spread because of a group effort.

10 or 12 people were present at the Wiley house informational as it was announced a week before hand, and was held at 4:00 on a Thursday during the height of summer. Before the petition, the state had only received 62 comments. Regardless of position, I felt that was a week turnout for something I consider to be significant. Now, NPR will be doing a story with representatives from the AMC and folks who would like to see the Notch preserved.

And yes, there has been no research completed, including impact and environmental surveys which are required by the state before entering a lease agreement. A lease value has not been determined. These all should have been available during the open comment period which has now ended: how is it feasible to assess this without the right information?

Furthermore, this new hut will be built within the confines of Hart's Location, which has no commercial zoning and is unlikely to grant a variance. There are some legal hurdles here that make this whole thing fishy at best.
    • Chris Magness wrote:

I did start the change.org petition, seems like a good tool to me. I don't have facebook; it's spread because of a group effort.

10 or 12 people were present at the Wiley house informational as it was announced a week before hand, and was held at 4:00 on a Thursday during the height of summer. Before the petition, the state had only received 62 comments. Regardless of position, I felt that was a week turnout for something I consider to be significant. Now, NPR will be doing a story with representatives from the AMC and folks who would like to see the Notch preserved.

And yes, there has been no research completed, including impact and environmental surveys which are required by the state before entering a lease agreement. A lease value has not been determined. These all should have been available during the open comment period which has now ended: how is it feasible to assess this without the right information?

Furthermore, this new hut will be built within the confines of Hart's Location, which has no commercial zoning and is unlikely to grant a variance. There are some legal hurdles here that make this whole thing fishy at best.
      how is it feasible to assess this without the right information?

I believe that's called pullin' a "Pulosi"