Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Cheaha State Park, CCC camp commeration special event

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Cheaha State Park, CCC camp commeration special event

This year I was able to go with the local ham radio club over to Cheaha State Park. We got on the air about 9:30 AM CDT. I was the ham radio operator form 9:30 to about 10:20 AM CDT. I made around 20-30 contacts during that time. My first time at being on the receving end of a pileup.

What does that mean ? When a ham radio operator is through with a contact, they ask 'is someone out there calling me ?' and since the club sends out a QSL card confirming the contact, with the stone tower pictured on it, a large number of people all transmitt at the same time call us.

Some times I heard their call signs, some tmes all I heard was mumblemumblemumble!mumble as 20 people told/yelled/said their call signs at the same time.

I did find out one of the other club members goes hiking, and suggested I get hiking poles for the trails around Cheaha. He hiked in northern Greenland last year. All I have to say to that is brrrrrrr ! He and I were the only ones wearing hiking boots today. Everyone else wore sneakers.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • socks wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

some photos. The old guy wearing boots is me. The other picture is of the tower. I saw two people bicycle by when I got off shift. I talked to about 20-30 people around the US.
      Jim, you ever read this book, it's pretty good.
      amazon.com/Three-Hundred-Zeroe…Appalachian/dp/1450557465
      I agree it was pretty good. If you do not want to buy it, see if your local library can get it for you through inter-library loan.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General