Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Scott's somewhat rant on a vegetable diet

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• A non-meat eater is someone who doesn't have meat. Their diet, so long as it is done correctly is unequivocally healthier than the average American diet. Even though I'm a hunter, I respect people who have made this dietary choice.

A vegan is a non-meat eater that is physiciay unable to stop themselves from preaching about their diet in an almost evangical fervor. These people I can't stand. PooFan
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sarcasmtheelf ().

• SarcasmTheElf wrote:

A non-meat eater is someone who doesn't have meat. Their diet, so lkng as it is done correctly is unequivocally healthier than the average American diet. Even though I'm a hunter, I respect people who have made this dietary choice.

A vegan is a non-meat eater that is physiciay unable to stop themselves from preaching about their diet in an almost evangical fervor. These people I can't stand. PooFan
      The vegans you describe are mostly of European decent. The Asians stopped bragging 8000 years ago.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • i just learned about this a couple weeks ago. a really quick and easy way for corn on the cobb. not gonna work for a large family. this makes sense for one or two people.

put corn with husk and silk still on in microwave for 4 minutes. (receipe calls for 4 minutes for each ear so i just do one at a time).

after 4 minutes, using kitchen towels since this is hot, cut off the bottom of the ear one row up. then just pull the husk and silk off.

then salt and pepper and butter it so ya don't have to share with the vegans.
      2,000 miler
    • JimBlue wrote:

Indeed, it takes much more vegetables to get 5000 calories.

I do eat vegetables, they provide nutrition. But so does meat.

Some amino acids a human requires for good health are available from vegetables, but the rest are only found in meat.
      Am I missing something here - he would have to stop and eat 6x a day or "two power bars" 2x while powering on the trail as mid morning snack on the run and one between lunch and dinner. If it was all vegetables, beans and rice that's a large quantity of food.

JimBlue wrote:

I lived on rice and beans for years due to food allergies. I rarely even ate fish.

One of my relatives looked up various documents, and informed me such a diet lacked 3 essential amino acids.

Both my retinas were failing. I have had laser surgery on both to put them back together. I noticed my vision lessening. I had pro=blems seeing at night or dusk. I started eating eggs again, and my eyesight improved.

It did take over 20 years, but my eyes did start failing. From around 5 years of opthamologist's retina exams, my retinas are now fine. I can see at night and at dusk.

The only difference is I gave up a vegetable only diet.

edit:

I'm not trying to dictate to anyone... I am just talking about my personal experience and how I almost went blind due to a vegetable only diet.
      Sorry to read about your allergies, Curious what are they? I recently met (non-hiking) Russian women from Poland who tried a vegan diet and they talked about nails and hair falling out too.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • I'm saying vegetables only isn't going to easily come up with 5000 calories per day. Meat is needed to make up the rest. I suppose cheese would work for part of it. But there is the hiker constipation problem, it doesn't need eating cheese to make it worse.

I used to have food allergies... it was a severe skin problem. Basically the doctor gave me a list of foods to avoid, they would give me... uh, my skin oil glands would tripe their production of skin oil. Untreated, i.e. ignoring the list of foods to avoid, would result in me going to the hospital.

The doctor told me medicine had no idea what caused it and it could go away eventually.

I was to eat, once a year, something on the list. Wait and see if the skin problem showed up or not.

When it stopped happening, and he said there was no way to know when until it did stop, I could eat things on the list again.

The list: no meat, no meat grease, no gravy with meat or meat grease in it, no eggs. I could eat cheese, drink milk, and butter my bread with no ill effects. Shrimp was fine. So for around 10 years I ate shrimp fried rice. Or beans and bread, with brown rice. I even learned how to bake my own bread. Nice at first, but there was a period of time when I couldn't stand looking at shrimp fried rice let alone eating it. I have been eating that for around 5 years now.

I found this out when I had 2 years left in my Navy enlistment. There were no salad bars aboard ship back then... meat and potatoes diet was what they had. Roast beef 4 days a week for supper, fish on Friday, chicken on Saturday, etc. rinse repeat. I hear the food aboard US Navy surface ships is more varied these days.

the odor of my skin was terrible, if I got something to eat on the list. I'll not describe that nor what my skin did. Very unpleasant.

So, I am better these days... I can eat what I want in the way of food. Although I found the Mountain House eggs and bacon meal to be rather awful, I do enjoy scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Rasty wrote:

At least a 9000 year old concept.
      I tried watching that video, but I couldn't get through it, so much of what she says at the beginning is simply factually inaccurate. Questioning whether humans were meant to eat meat in the first place is either disingenuous or willfully ignorant of modern anthropology. The consumption of animal flesh was vital to the development of the larger brains of early humans (or prehumans) and it was an essential part of our evolutionary survival. I was both annoyed and amused that she misused a quote from the Leakey's to suggest that our species was incapable of cutting and chewing through meat while ignoring that it is now accepted that we descended from a line of several species of hominid that used stone cutting tools.

Humans and our hominid ancestors were omnivores plain an simple. Humans have eyes that are placed in the front our our heads looking forward, this is an evolutionary feature that strictly associated with carnivores. We have teeth that are neither specialized for predation nor for the diet of a herbivore. We have a digestive tract that is incredibly simple compared to most herbivores. We have no large claws, no prominent canine teeth, yet we are clearly sight driven pack hunters. We are a species that appears to be built in a way that does not specialize in either predation nor foraging, instead we have a combination of traits that makes us suitable for both roles.

How is it that we got here? We're still trying to figure that out. I personally think there is merit to the Persistance Hunting theory, which states that the evolutionary edge held by humans was the ability to run at a steady pace for a very long time, longer than most prey species, the ability to work in packs to hunt, and the ability to expertly track animals and predict their movements (thanks to our big brains) There is an interesting clip about this subject done by Chris McDougal, author of Born to Run.

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I tried watching that video, but I couldn't get through it, so much of what she says at the beginning is simply factually inaccurate. Questioning whether humans were meant to eat meat in the first place is either disingenuous or willfully ignorant of modern anthropology. The consumption of animal flesh was vital to the development of the larger brains of early humans (or prehumans) and it was an essential part of our evolutionary survival. I was both annoyed and amused that she misused a quote from the Leakey's to suggest that our species was incapable of cutting and chewing through meat while ignoring that it is now accepted that we descended from a line of several species of hominid that used stone cutting tools.
      Humans and our hominid ancestors were omnivores plain an simple. Humans have eyes that are placed in the front our our heads looking forward, this is an evolutionary feature that strictly associated with carnivores. We have teeth that are neither specialized for predation nor for the diet of a herbivore. We have a digestive tract that is incredibly simple compared to most herbivores. We have no large claws, no prominent canine teeth, yet we are clearly sight driven pack hunters. We are a species that appears to be built in a way that does not specialize in either predation nor foraging, instead we have a combination of traits that makes us suitable for both roles.

How is it that we got here? We're still trying to figure that out. I personally think there is merit to the Persistance Hunting theory, which states that the evolutionary edge held by humans was the ability to run at a steady pace for a very long time, longer than most prey species, the ability to work in packs to hunt, and the ability to expertly track animals and predict their movements (thanks to our big brains) There is an interesting clip about this subject done by Chris McDougal, author of Born to Run.

early humans were opportunists. We took any opportunity to eat anything.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I tried watching that video, but I couldn't get through it, so much of what she says at the beginning is simply factually inaccurate. Questioning whether humans were meant to eat meat in the first place is either disingenuous or willfully ignorant of modern anthropology. The consumption of animal flesh was vital to the development of the larger brains of early humans (or prehumans) and it was an essential part of our evolutionary survival. I was both annoyed and amused that she misused a quote from the Leakey's to suggest that our species was incapable of cutting and chewing through meat while ignoring that it is now accepted that we descended from a line of several species of hominid that used stone cutting tools.Humans and our hominid ancestors were omnivores plain an simple. Humans have eyes that are placed in the front our our heads looking forward, this is an evolutionary feature that strictly associated with carnivores. We have teeth that are neither specialized for predation nor for the diet of a herbivore. We have a digestive tract that is incredibly simple compared to most herbivores. We have no large claws, no prominent canine teeth, yet we are clearly sight driven pack hunters. We are a species that appears to be built in a way that does not specialize in either predation nor foraging, instead we have a combination of traits that makes us suitable for both roles.

Pregzactly!
    • Rasty wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Some amino acids a human requires for good health are available from vegetables, but the rest are only found in meat.
      The combination of beans and rice provide all the essential amino acids.
      And gas.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • odd man out wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Sounds like the definition of a thru hiker.
      thus proving thru hikers are Neanderthals.
      Neanderthals were likely both stronger and more intelligent than homo sapiens, calling someone a neanderthal doesn't sound like much of a insult.
      Early modern humans are believed to have been just slightly more adapatable and there is new evidence that we were the first to domesticate wolf-dogs which may have given us a huge competitive advantage.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

odd man out wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Sounds like the definition of a thru hiker.
      thus proving thru hikers are Neanderthals.
      Neanderthals were likely both stronger and more intelligent than homo sapiens, calling someone a neanderthal doesn't sound like much of a insult.Early modern humans are believed to have been just slightly more adapatable and there is new evidence that we were the first to domesticate wolf-dogs which may have given us a huge competitive advantage.
      it does make a good car insurance commercial though
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Drybones wrote:

Rasty wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

The combination of beans and rice provide all the essential amino acids.
      And gas.
      My dad used that as a propellent for useless points of uphills.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • TrafficJam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I lived on rice and beans for years due to food allergies. I rarely even ate fish.

One of my relatives looked up various documents, and informed me such a diet lacked 3 essential amino acids.

Both my retinas were failing. I have had laser surgery on both to put them back together. I noticed my vision lessening. I had pro=blems seeing at night or dusk. I started eating eggs again, and my eyesight improved.

It did take over 20 years, but my eyes did start failing. From around 5 years of opthamologist's retina exams, my retinas are now fine. I can see at night and at dusk.

edit:

I'm not trying to dictate to anyone... I am just talking about my personal experience and how I almost went blind due to a vegetable only diet.
      Lutein. Eggs are a good source and the body absorbs it best through the egg yolk.
      "Both lutein and zeaxanthin are carotenoids called xanthophylls, yellow-orange plant pigments. These carotenoids have been shown to reduce the risks of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration, the leading cause of blindness in those 65 and older. Lutein and zeaxanthin accumulate in the eye’s lens and in the macular region of the retina. Scientists believe high levels of lutein and zeaxanthin in these areas may protect the eye from damage due to oxidation. "
      any difference nutrition wise if eggs are hard boiled, fried, poached, or scrambled?

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

edit:

Lutein. Eggs are a good source and the body absorbs it best through the egg yolk."Both lutein and zeaxanthin are carotenoids called xanthophylls, yellow-orange plant pigments. These carotenoids have been shown to reduce the risks of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration, the leading cause of blindness in those 65 and older. Lutein and zeaxanthin accumulate in the eye’s lens and in the macular region of the retina. Scientists believe high levels of lutein and zeaxanthin in these areas may protect the eye from damage due to oxidation. "
      any difference nutrition wise if eggs are hard boiled, fried, poached, or scrambled?
      not really. Theoretically the poached egg losses some protein to the poaching liquid. After poaching a 100 or so eggs the poaching water has a albumin shine to the water.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123