Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Anish announces FKT attempt

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Anish announces FKT attempt

I formally state my intentions here–as per the protocol established on the main page of this site–that I will be attempting to set a self-supported FKT on the Appalachian Trail beginning in early August.

I have immense respect for the long line of people who have traveled this well-established and historical path in a quest to find their personal limits. In keeping with protocols established by them, and by myself on previous endeavors, I will travel in a self-supported manner.

This means:
      Arranging for no pre-planned outside support at any time, and only accepting truly random acts of kindness (trail magic) that come my way.
      I will carry all of my own gear and supplies at all times (no "slackpacking" or "muling").
      I will walk into and out of resupply locations where I will purchase food and/or collect supply boxes that I have sent to myself.
      I will follow the Appalachian Trail and official relocations only (such as the detour around Falls Village, CT), no blue blaze or alternate routes.
      When I leave the trail for resupply purposes, I will rejoin the trail at the same location I left, leaving a continuous line of footprints the entire distance.
      Never accepting a ride in a vehicle for any reason.
      As always, I will respect the wilderness landscape, the lives that dwell therein, other trail users, and the generations of users that will follow by practicing Leave No Trace Ethics.
      Per the main page suggestions I will provide a way for the public to follow along with my progress at facebook.com/AnishHikes. Please understand that the posts made there are in NO WAY an invitation for anyone to attempt to help me, find me, join me, or otherwise take away from the nature of a thru-hiker's journey. They are intended to document only, as suggested by this site. I will carry a SPOT beacon, although for safety, its logs will not be publicly available in real time.

I hope in my endeavor to not only bring parity to the male and female self-supported records, but if possible lower it overall. These records are currently held by Mr. Kirk and Miss Thomas, both of whom I hold in very high esteem.

This is my second journey through these ancient mountains and I look forward once again to the joy, struggle, challenge, and beauty of a 2,000+ mi hike undertaken in pursuit of finding and expanding my personal limits.

Heather "Anish" Anderson
      2,000 miler
    • I hope that Anish can outrun those who say that all spirit of competition is out of keeping with the character of wilderness. With an advance announcement like this, she will surely be under a microscope for the slightest transgression of LNT practices.

It will be interesting to see whether BSPA lauds this attempt for being done "in the right way," or doubles down and condemns it for its competitive nature (and for the tendency of record-setters to attract well-wishers, media, and so on).
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

I hope that Anish can outrun those who say that all spirit of competition is out of keeping with the character of wilderness. With an advance announcement like this, she will surely be under a microscope for the slightest transgression of LNT practices.

It will be interesting to see whether BSPA lauds this attempt for being done "in the right way," or doubles down and condemns it for its competitive nature (and for the tendency of record-setters to attract well-wishers, media, and so on).

Maybe they just need to get outdoor more often ?
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

I hope that Anish can outrun those who say that all spirit of competition is out of keeping with the character of wilderness. With an advance announcement like this, she will surely be under a microscope for the slightest transgression of LNT practices.

Maybe they just need to get outdoor more often ?
      the majority of the park rangers I've seen have been sitting in a pickup truck.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • the current women's record holder, elizabeth "snorkel" thomas wasn't totally consumed with finishing in the fastest time possible. she took 3 zeros and a bunch of neros. she even took the 1 mile each way blue blaze to the see the walasik popular when she was in nc.

[IMG:http://www.eathomas.com/wp-content/themes/website/data/php/timthumb.php?src=wp-content/uploads/2011/04/IMG_0325.jpg&q=90&w=461]
      2,000 miler
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

She may have more trouble with well wishers trying to meet her on the trail with some trail magic. There's always the claim that trail magic isn't so spontaneous if you post your whereabouts to everyone on-line. Hence her most recent FB post asking fans to give her some distance.

As for BSP, assuming she is going SOBO, my guess is she will have a reservation at a campground, do an early pre-dawn summit of Katahdin, and then be out of the park before BSP knows what is going on.
    • looks like anish got beat up a bit in maine

this update from her fb page,posted yesterday

"The hardest terrain is behind me and with it the roller coaster of
      emotions that accompanied being pushed so hard. Nearly two weeks of
      relentless 18 hour or more days of bashing my feet and body against
      seemingly endless rocks,mud and roots have taken their toll.
      I've lost a lot of weight already. My feet are held together with leuko tape.
      I crossed exposed mountain tops in lightning and hail with rain falling
      so thick I could only see a few feet. I pissed blood for 24 hours.
      I missed the Kennebeck ferry. Yet another river, swollen from an all
      day rain, denied me passage until the next morning. I fell down at slabs
      and lost the trail in the rock jumbled mahoosucs.
      I've cried thinking this is over to many times to count but always comes the magic
      of life of here to reassure me that all is not lost. I repeat the wise
      words of Jennifer Pharr Davis to myself everyday, "Just do your best
      every day. You can't do anything more."
      Today I finally broke through the walls of rocks into the verdant green forest and followed a
      ribbon of soft dirt trail. I hammered out 33 miles in 12 hours instead
      of 16. I am eating tons of food. And for the first time in this journey I
      feel a true glimmer of hope that I may be able to complete the task
      before me."
      its all good
    • rafe wrote:

Something on fb right now... ME to NY in 3 weeks. Makes me tired just thinking about it.
      Wow if I was as fast as her I could finish the AT in 3 weeks. :rolleyes:

Actually I will be happy to take my time and finish it in about 3 times that long over the next 2 summers. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • OK, I know I'm a sad old phart and was probably born that way, but... why? We do subject ourselves to crazy sh*t like this? Why the racing, the insane drive. It's often irrational. I get that. Pissing blood not my idea of fun.

Maine's beautiful. I was blessed with great weather for almost all of it -- or managed to forget the bad stuff. I got nailed with hail on top of Baldpate but I got one of my best photographs ever. Did Baldpate again with Slo last fall under clear blue skies... not quite as magical as the first time.

Maine is easily done as a series of three or four day sections. Tough as nails but the views are worth it.

I have so many photos and vivid memories of hiking in Maine. Looking forward to going back there soon.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

no one - not you, not me, not a speedhiker - should have their location publicized on the internet without permission.
      Agree! I was referring to her asking people not to talk to her. First, I wouldn't recognize her. Second, I acknowledge everyone with a hi or a hello.
      wow...she really asked people not to talk to her?

i'd like to ask her about that. :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

no one - not you, not me, not a speedhiker - should have their location publicized on the internet without permission.
      Agree! I was referring to her asking people not to talk to her. First, I wouldn't recognize her. Second, I acknowledge everyone with a hi or a hello.
      wow...she really asked people not to talk to her?
      i'd like to ask her about that. :)
      I can't find the reference now so I'm probably wrong.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Rasty wrote:

I'm a supporter of speed hiking, but would view a hike with such a tight timeline that it doesn't allow spending a couple of minutes talking with other people as pointless.
      One of my favorite parts of my hike this summer was all of the people I met.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Me...I could care less, do what ever you want. Post about your hike, don't post about your hike (FKT), talk to her, don't talk to her, plot her here and there, and there and here, bring goodies or not...do you really gives a crap, again, me, not really.

now, where is she so I can bring her a coke and a smile with a few stories and my autograph book.
    • Personally, I find FKT attempts boring.

The athleticism is impressive. And it is cool a person found something THEY like.

But..well..I have as much interest in an FKT as any athletic endeavor: Which is to say not much.

Something like a Brooks Range Traverse? Make up your own route, plot it out on maps..no trail angels or guidebooks? Now THAT'S impressive...
    • rafe wrote:

OK, I know I'm a sad old phart and was probably born that way, but... why? We do subject ourselves to crazy sh*t like this? Why the racing, the insane drive. It's often irrational. I get that. Pissing blood not my idea of fun.

Maine's beautiful. I was blessed with great weather for almost all of it -- or managed to forget the bad stuff. I got nailed with hail on top of Baldpate but I got one of my best photographs ever. Did Baldpate again with Slo last fall under clear blue skies... not quite as magical as the first time.

Maine is easily done as a series of three or four day sections. Tough as nails but the views are worth it.

I have so many photos and vivid memories of hiking in Maine. Looking forward to going back there soon.
      It's the old HYOH thing, we're all different, not all boats float the same, being different from other folks has led to all the great discoveries in history....WEFYB.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

rafe wrote:

OK, I know I'm a sad old phart and was probably born that way, but... why? We do subject ourselves to crazy sh*t like this? Why the racing, the insane drive. It's often irrational. I get that. Pissing blood not my idea of fun.

It's the old HYOH thing, we're all different, not all boats float the same, being different from other folks has led to all the great discoveries in history....WEFYB.
      that's goddamn deep
    • Da Wolf wrote:

Drybones wrote:

rafe wrote:

that's goddamn deep
      As in, deep thought...er deep doo doo? :D