Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Luci - Review

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Luci - Review

Well its a dome light for the shelter you use, Yes reasonable new gear and catching on Luci is a solar charged backpack light. The idea is golden as it has great quality control and quality parts... The Solar charger is easy to hang on the pack with a piece of string or what ever is handy. It charges by day and has two brightnesses available.. the third is flash... not sure what that could be used for... It can be used as a flash light. UL folk would take a knife and cut off the diffuser... and save an ounce. To be honest I don't like blowing it up and taking the air out... under an Easy-Up a couple of these are awesome in a car camp site. As a back up light for the trail its a well thought piece of kit. Nice Christmas present.. Spoke to the wife and if we don't fire up the generator... we used to use 12v car batteries and 300 watt inverters to power the computer and Torchiere and TV. and now we have a spare bunch of lights. 6-12 hours of light from full charge... plenty!

Mpowered says this....Unlike other solar light products, Luci incorporates the functions of a task light, flash light and diffused lantern. Luci has a rechargeable lithium-ion battery and weighs only 4.5 ounces making it compact, lightweight and collapsible for travel, is durable and reliable in extreme weather conditions and can easily be attached to a wall or ceiling. Luci was designed to be independent of a power grid. Luci is the solution where light is inaccessible or unaffordable. Luci is a clean, low-cost, sustainable energy provider. Luci provides a dependable solution where there are unreliable or absent electrical services. once Luci is acquired, there are no further costs associated with lighting.
      Luci was created to empower the developing world through solar power, providing greater equity to those without access to electricity. The true promise of solar-powered lighting as a solution to energy poverty lies in the opportunities Luci will create for individuals and their communities.
      Luci Improves Quality of Life

[IMG:https://www.mpowerd.com/sites/default/files/img-home1.jpg]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Luci - Review

Yup thought I covered everything and missed the obvious... oh well

http://www.amazon.com/MPOWERD-Original-Luci-Solar-Lantern/dp/B00DQ1RDWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388294987&sr=8-1&keywords=luci+light

$17.50 without shipping... fair for a light Solar lithium and 10 LED.

The bottom diffuser is not a solid mirror more like a car window film - it allows some light straight down, hence ithe light spreads sideways more and down less. A little leaks upwards on the tent ceiling.
    • Luci - Review

BirdBrain wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LChNMScphVQ

I will stick with this. $6 at Reny's.

Yea if this works for you... that's fine - I doubt it would deliver hours without a lot of winding..I only have used dynamo on a bicycle and my father had a squeeze version that was a little more ease of use. So if you turn it off how long does it hold that charge?

I was more focused on "finding better stuff" than Lightcap 300, Black Diamond Voyager and Primus Micron when I am not allowed to use a campfire.
    • Luci - Review

TrainWreck wrote:

15 sf lighting area...that's approximately 4' x 4', you're right, perfect size for a tent. I like the solar power charger feature. This might make a good little valentines' day gift for the hubby :)

To be honest in a 10x12 bedroom on high it was fine. Got to sit close for us older guys to read - but my stuff is on a back light.
    • Luci - Review

WiseOldOwl wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LChNMScphVQ

I will stick with this. $6 at Reny's.

Yea if this works for you... that's fine - I doubt it would deliver hours without a lot of winding..I only have used dynamo on a bicycle and my father had a squeeze version that was a little more ease of use. So if you turn it off how long does it hold that charge?

I was more focused on "finding better stuff" than Lightcap 300, Black Diamond Voyager and Primus Micron when I am not allowed to use a campfire.

I used it across Maine. Wound it about 10 seconds a day. Very bright. At 4 AM or so I would often wake and check the time. It would be fully charged. Not exaggerating. I don't need a light much at night. If I was to night hike, I would get a good headlamp. No way I would take a 4+ oz tent light.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Luci - Review

One more thought on the light: After lugging too much at first, I sought to trim wherever I could. This little dynamo light is what I started with. It was perfect for what I needed. I needed a reliable bright light for a few seconds at a time at the lightest possible weight. This light is perfect. I am not happy about much of my gear. My light is about as perfect as I could ever imagine one could be and it only costs $6 and weighs around an oz.
    • Luci - Review

Great BB... for a guy who hikes alone - I understand... What I have noticed when its bad weather on the trail and early spring late winter - I was looking for something that was light as could be, and better then the above mentioned items.

I think this falls under a group backpack/hike setting, instead of going to bed early.
    • Luci - Review

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Great BB... for a guy who hikes alone - I understand... What I have noticed when its bad weather on the trail and early spring late winter - I was looking for something that was light as could be, and better then the above mentioned items.

I think this falls under a group backpack/hike setting, instead of going to bed early.

Agreed. If you need a light for night activities for multiple people for long durations, mine would not do. I found myself not in need of much light after dark. I was asleep.
    • Luci - Review

I have a difficult test I have a few books I have to cover by Friday then meet with Dept of AG so each night I am out away from the computer and Luci is charging each day and lighting the books each night.. I had an epiphany tonight. Luci is perfect for kayak - backpacking. - yea it floats and is waterproof - stick it on top of the Kayak...wow.