Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

AMC's New Program Center in Harriman State Park

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• AMC's New Program Center in Harriman State Park

[IMG:http://www.outdoors.org/publications/outdoors/2012/fieldnotes/images/FieldNotes_0715.jpg]

By Rob Burbank

AMC Outdoors, July/August 2015

It's wilderness setting rivals some of the region’s finest backcountry, but AMC’s newest program center, under renovation now and slated to open in summer 2016 in New York’s Harriman State Park, is just 42 miles from midtown Manhattan.

Since early spring, AMC’s Construction Crew has been refurbishing the site, a home to youth camps for decades that overlooks the 64-acre Breakneck Pond. The club is investing more than $1 million to renovate cabins, shelters, and tent platforms and to create new, remote campsites.

AMC is working in conjunction with the Palisades Interstate Park Commission (PIPC) on the improvement project, which is designed to increase AMC’s programmatic offerings in the New York City area, including its Youth Opportunities Program for urban youth, Teen Wilderness Adventures, and Teen Volunteer Trails program.

AMC’s New York–North Jersey Chapter and other chapters are also expected to use the site to offer outdoor programs to members, volunteers, and the public.
      “AMC is excited to enter into a long-term partnership with PIPC and New York State Parks to connect more people to the outdoors by combining the strength of these agencies with AMC’s expertise across outdoor recreation, conservation, youth engagement, and leadership training,” said AMC’s president, John Judge.

“We are looking forward to working with AMC to not only introduce more people to the wonderful public resource at Harriman State Park, but also to
      develop the next generation of conservation stewards,” said Commissioner of New York State Parks Rose Harvey.

The Breakneck Pond site will provide overnight accommodations for as many as 140 people, with ample space for swimming and paddling, among other outdoor programs.
      Some 225 miles of park trails, including portions of the AppalachianTrail, offer plenty of hiking opportunities. The abutting public landsof Bear Mountain State Park and Sterling Forest further enhance the 46,313-acre state park’s natural features and remote feel. To encouragethe use of public transportation, AMC plans to provide shuttle service
      between nearby train stops and the program center.

The project marks AMC’s latest investment in the New York City area, where the organization has been active for more than 100 years. The New York–North
      Jersey Chapter was founded in 1912; today, AMC’s New York City office is located in the West Side YMCA on Central Park.
      its all good
    • This is the area where Camp Winaki used to be, right? The last time I saw that area from the Suffern-Bear Mountain trail, it looked as if most everything in there was falling to ruin. Redeveloping it for group use might well be a good thing for the Trail, since it would both offer opportunities to educate youth in proper wilderness practice, and draw the large youth groups away from the Trail corridor, which cannot really handle them. (The facilities at Tiorati and Lake Welch can, but tend to get overbooked.)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.