Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Niki Rellon ~ Facing Life’s Mountains & Valleys on the Appalachian Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Niki Rellon ~ Facing Life’s Mountains & Valleys on the Appalachian Trail

appalachiantrail.com/20150730/…on-the-appalachian-trail/

Niki Rellon ~ Facing Life’s Mountains & Valleys on the Appalachian Trail

Let’s pretend for a moment that this is your story:
      Now what?
      So. What will the next chapter of your life look like? Which exit or on-ramp do you take on the Road of Life:
      1. The Rocky Road of I Cannot
      2. The Dead End of I Will Not
      3. The Long Road to Recovery
      [IMG:http://2c8fiw35v08l9u6zrvsra81d84.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/niki-rellon-on-the-AT-168x300.jpg]Niki Rellon cannot be properly defined by the single word “amputee.” Victor, perhaps, but not amputee. ~~ Photo from Nike Rellon’s Facebook page
      Most of us cannot imagine the kinds of struggles that are Niki’s.
      We freak out when the refrigerator conks out, overflowing tubs leak into rooms on lower floors and when we can’t find our car keys.
      A few among us must cope with words like “lump,” “overdue,” “accident,” “met someone else” or “cutbacks.”
      Hearing a doctor say you must have an amputation? That’s got to be big-time difficult.
      Niki Rellon — against considerable advice — decided to face her suddenly new life on the Appalachian Trail. With determination, hiking poles and one new leg.

Bionic Woman
      Taking “Bionic Woman” as her Trail name, she headed north from Georgia’s Springer Mountain and set her sights on Maine’s Katahdin mountains, home of Baxter Peak, the end of the Trail.
      Bionic Woman “only” hiked seven miles her first day on the Trail. As if that’s something to be ashamed of because she “should have” done more while carrying a pack on her back with all her gear. Can you imagine?
      Years ago I tried to talk my older brother, Jim, into hiking the AT. That’s been a dream of his for most of his life. I think his reference to the Trail was my initiation into its existence. Jim is pushing 70, in great shape and really could make the trek.
      Jim (I call him “Jimmy” of course) said he has bad knees and a pain here and/or there.
      I smugly replied with advice that I would never accept for myself:
      Laugh, but that’s true.

Great pain and great tragedies can birth great triumphs.
      I marvel at the life and achievements of Niki Rellon — when she had two good legs and now that she is the Bionic Woman.
      If I understand correctly, as of the end of July, 2015, Niki has hiked more than 1,000 miles. She made it to Harpers Ferry, WV, then flip-flopped to Maine.
      That’s where hikers climb an almost-mile-high-mountain in order to begin to hike the Appalachian Trail southward to Georgia.
      Here’s the story of her descent from Katahdin posted at clickmedical.co/news/niki-rellon/
      In my estimation, Niki doesn’t need to walk another foot to be my hero. She’s done plenty.

Suzannah the Muse
      When I told Suzannah (my muse) about Niki, she replied “Now, that’s a story! Wow!”
      And all Appalachian Trail hikers said, “Amen!”

Niki and You
      What are you sure that cannot do in life? What uniquely insurmountable troubles and woes whup your butt? What is too hard for you?
      Does the fact that Niki is hiking the AT on one leg mean that your problems are insignificant? No.
      Does it mean all your issues are easily overcome? No.
      Niki Rellon hiking the Appalachian Trail after having one leg amputated does mean that we do not have to give up on life, crawl into a hole and have a lifelong pity party.
      Cheer up! Life could be worse … and if you life long enough it will get worse! It’s all a matter of how you will deal with your life, wherever it leads.
      I admire the way Niki Rellon tackles the mountains and valleys in her life. May God bless her.
      You go, girl! Everything’s going to be all right.
      its all good
    • I admire her for her spirit & gumption. I question why she had to be rescued? Just my personal belief to know your limits, watch weather & turn back when it's getting bad. I've pushed my limits a few times, but turned back many more times. Just because I have a cell phone doesn't allow me to push myself to the point I have to call for people to rescue me & endanger their lives. Never happened to me but I have an aquaintence who lost two members of a SAR crew in the Whites. I may be preaching to the choir here but think before you take risks.
    • If I keep at it long enough, I'll no doubt need rescue from an accident sooner or later. I came close about six weeks ago when I sprained a knee 15 miles from a road. I thought about lighting my PLB, but I asked myself what the SAR people would do if they came for me. They'd put an Ace bandage on it and walk me out. I can put on an Ace bandage and walk out. The best rescue is self rescue.

In fact, I think that most of the incidents when I would light the beacon will be recoveries, not rescues. But I can at least help them find me, since I know that they will come for me, whether I want it or not.

I will confess that I commit a horrible sin according to the experts - I hike solo. If I do buy the farm, I'm sure the local paper will make a big deal of that. But at least they shouldn't make a big deal about inappropriate equipment or lack of planning. I always leave a very detailed written plan.

I don't know where that puts me on the scale of recklessness, but I'm really slow to condemn others.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.