Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Windows 10

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I downloaded & upgraded to Windows 10. Only played with it for a few hours, but I like it! My initial feeling is that if you prefered windows 7 you will like it because it brings back that feel. You open to desktop. Yo have the start key again that brings up both windows 8 page & recently used programs like Windows 8. Briefly played with new microsoft browser & it's a big improvement fom IE. It's fast & intuitve, Just typing in news it brout up local links for my local service providers area along with national & other top hits I would exspect. Still to early to say if I will give up Chrome. Overall I like it.
    • milkman wrote:

Is anybody selling laptops with Windows10 already in them?
      dell does; but i've had one dell and won't get a second. costco has an hp one that you can order and it will ship in a couple weeks. nothing in brick and mortar sams or costco yet but won't be long. one of my sons computer died a week ago; i told him to make do with his phone for a couple weeks and then get one with W10 already installed.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

milkman wrote:

Is anybody selling laptops with Windows10 already in them?
      dell does; but i've had one dell and won't get a second. costco has an hp one that you can order and it will ship in a couple weeks. nothing in brick and mortar sams or costco yet but won't be long. one of my sons computer died a week ago; i told him to make do with his phone for a couple weeks and then get one with W10 already installed.
      My plan too.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I'm still waiting for Windows to send me my update, is there a place where I can just go and download it or do I have to wait for them to send it to me?
      they are releasing the update in waves so that the whole country doesn't hit their server at the same time. :)

if you click on the app they placed on your toolbar you are supposed to get the status of your upgrade. i haven't ordered mine yet so i can't verify this.

you can go get it directly but they recommend that you pretty much know what you're doing. that leaves me out.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I'm still waiting for Windows to send me my update, is there a place where I can just go and download it or do I have to wait for them to send it to me?
      they are releasing the update in waves so that the whole country doesn't hit their server at the same time. :)
      if you click on the app they placed on your toolbar you are supposed to get the status of your upgrade. i haven't ordered mine yet so i can't verify this.

you can go get it directly but they recommend that you pretty much know what you're doing. that leaves me out.
      I get nothing when I click on that app. I hate Windows 8.1. I wish I was back in the woods.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • chief wrote:

I like Windows 10 so far, but after trying Microsoft Edge for several days, it's back to Chrome for me. Edge sucks in a big way, maybe they'll fix it, but I don't care I'll still use Chrome until it too pisses me off.
      I'm sticking with Chrome too. The 8.1 version of that disapperared too thankfully.

One thing I'm not liking in 10 is going to file explorer. Before it was simple choicees. Now they kinda ignore C drive & bring up recent ones. To get to basic C drive ones you have to click on this computor. I think they all envision us on the cloud all the time. Not or me, both in mindset & practicality!
    • My wife has had windows 10 for a year now on her work computer (school teacher). Her school skipped over windows 8 and went from 7 to 10.

I bought her a new laptop last fall and when she got it she asked me if I could install windows 10 on it, I told her no because it doesn't exist. I didn't believe her when she told me that's what they used, but it was true.

Then I bought her an iPad for Christmas.....now she wants a macbook something or other......I'm gonna stop buying her stuff.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

chief wrote:

I like Windows 10 so far, but after trying Microsoft Edge for several days, it's back to Chrome for me. Edge sucks in a big way, maybe they'll fix it, but I don't care I'll still use Chrome until it too pisses me off.
      I'm sticking with Chrome too. The 8.1 version of that disapperared too thankfully.
      One thing I'm not liking in 10 is going to file explorer. Before it was simple choicees. Now they kinda ignore C drive & bring up recent ones. To get to basic C drive ones you have to click on this computor. I think they all envision us on the cloud all the time. Not or me, both in mindset & practicality!
      On File Explorer menu select: view/options/Change folder and search options
      In the dialog box you can change the top most setting Open File Explorer to: This PC

It won't get you directly to the C drive, but you'll be in the neighborhood.
    • chief wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

chief wrote:

I'm sticking with Chrome too. The 8.1 version of that disapperared too thankfully.One thing I'm not liking in 10 is going to file explorer. Before it was simple choicees. Now they kinda ignore C drive & bring up recent ones. To get to basic C drive ones you have to click on this computor. I think they all envision us on the cloud all the time. Not or me, both in mindset & practicality!
      On File Explorer menu select: view/options/Change folder and search optionsIn the dialog box you can change the top most setting Open File Explorer to: This PC

They keep improving things into unusability.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • chief wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

chief wrote:

I'm sticking with Chrome too. The 8.1 version of that disapperared too thankfully.One thing I'm not liking in 10 is going to file explorer. Before it was simple choicees. Now they kinda ignore C drive & bring up recent ones. To get to basic C drive ones you have to click on this computor. I think they all envision us on the cloud all the time. Not or me, both in mindset & practicality!
      On File Explorer menu select: view/options/Change folder and search optionsIn the dialog box you can change the top most setting Open File Explorer to: This PC

Thanks Chief!
    • Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I got Windows 10 set up and even got the personal assistant thingy working and I can talk to it like on a smartazz phone. So now I got a smartazz computer.
      I glanced at the personal assistant and then I didn't look at it again.
      It's just a talking google thing.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I got Windows 10 set up and even got the personal assistant thingy working and I can talk to it like on a smartazz phone. So now I got a smartazz computer.
      I glanced at the personal assistant and then I didn't look at it again.
      It's just a talking google thing.
      yep except more annoying
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • I had it for a couple of weeks. Didn't care for it overall. Some things I liked a lot better, some I didn't. Switched back to 7. I kinda miss those features I did like. Got used to them real quick. I'm in the market for a new comp real soon so I'll get used to 10 then. For now I like 7 just fine.
    • LIhikers wrote:

My computer seems to have up-dated itself to windows 10. I'm not sure how or why, but it did.
      Now I've got to learn where everything is :?:
      ya got a month to learn it; decide ya don't like it and you can back to what ya had within 30 days.

my laptop is almost 5 years old; i'm just gonna buy one with 10 already installed and not have to worry about the upgrade.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

milkman wrote:

I saw where the Geek Squad at Best Buy will professionally upgrade you comp to 10 fro $29.99 or you can get it for free for buying some damn office program. What a deal!
      one of the local colleges did free upgrades last saturday.
      I don't think there's any difference from what we did for free and what they can do, other that get 30 bucks outta somebody.
    • milkman wrote:

max.patch wrote:

milkman wrote:

I saw where the Geek Squad at Best Buy will professionally upgrade you comp to 10 fro $29.99 or you can get it for free for buying some damn office program. What a deal!
      one of the local colleges did free upgrades last saturday.
      I don't think there's any difference from what we did for free and what they can do, other that get 30 bucks outta somebody.
      i wonder if anyone lugged their desktops to one of these things.
      2,000 miler
    • socks wrote:

I've decided not to install, my lap top is about five years old and I think I'd be inheriting a whole bunch of compatibility notifications...fug all that noise.
      I think its geared more for touch screens too. So since mine wasn't I switched back. I'll get a new touch screen comp and go from there. Not much else I can do. You're pretty much stuck with going with the flow.