Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Gear choices from those who know

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Pack - REI Flash 65
      Pad - Neo Air Trekker
      Bag - Marmot Cloudbreak 30, TNF Cats Meow 20, REI Travel Sack
      Shelter - Hennesey Hammock Deluxe Explorer, Six Moon Design Lunar Duo
      Kitchen - MSR Pocket Rocket, Toaks 750ml Ti pot
      Shoes - Keen Targhee
      RIAP

The post was edited 1 time, last by Trebor ().

• i am a fat, over the hill, has been hiker becasue (hanging head in shame) last month i took advantage of rei's 25% off sale and bought a pair of cork handled flip-lock lekkis.

but i intend to use only one pole at a time, so i guess i am sipping the kool aid and not drinking it.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i am a fat, over the hill, has been hiker becasue (hanging head in shame) last month i took advantage of rei's 25% off sale and bought a pair of cork handled flip-lock lekkis.

but i intend to use only one pole at a time, so i guess i am sipping the kool aid and not drinking it.
      So what gear does a fat, over the hill, has been hiker carry? I want to know!
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Pack- Six Moon Designs Starlite
      Pad- Neoair Xlite regular
      Bag- Enlightened Equipment Rev X Quilt or MYOG Synthetic Quilt
      Shelter- Bear Paw Wilderness Designs 1.5 Canopy Tarp with MYOG inner net
      Kit- Cat can stove
      Shoes- Keens, Oboz, or Salewa
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Lots of gear but my favorites...
      Tent BA Copper Spur 2. (Would go the Fly Creek 2 as a solo tent but the CS fits Annie and me).
      Pack ULA Circuit or Catalyst have both. I usually use Catalyst as IM uses Circuit. If getting a new pack would get another Circuit.
      Annie has more issues with sweaty back and has Osprey Aura. Osprey recommended for those with sweat issues.
      Bag WM Mitylite 40 degree or BA Lost Ranger 15 degree. Long.
      Pad 1st choice BA Insulated QCore. Backup Neoair Trekker (more robust slightly less comfortable). Long.
      Stove - Solo BirdBrains beautiful creation with half the windbreak/stand of my Evernew stove set. Hiking as a couple I take MSR Pocket Rocket or a similar Primus stove.
      Poles I use Black Diamond but consider most important feature to be fliplock not brand name.
      I have a silnylon poncho, a Packa and an Altus rain coat. Take poncho if little rain expected and prefer Altus in heavy rain. If weather warm may take none of the above just a jacket (pack always lined with garbage bag if any chance of damp).
      Use a bucket hat not a baseball cap unless wearing rain gear.
      Always take a Buff for bandanna type function.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • pack: ula catalyst (ounce weenies have ruined packs; i'd love to buy a new camptrails mckinley external frame pack made with todays materials. 2x the weight, but carries the load 10x better)

pad: thermarest prolite.

bag: western mountaineering something or other. also have one of the campmor 20 degree down bags that for some reason they stopped making. not the best bag but may have been the best value.

tent: big agnes seedhouse 2. considering adding a one man with a side entry. how much is a 6 oz weight reduction more or less really worth?

stove: jet boil sol becasue i'm lazy. my svea for when i'm not. and sometimes my zip stove.

shoes: nike pegasus trail shoes with superfeet green. worn em for probably 10 years because i can buy em online and know they will fit.

entertainment: kindle! no need to carry mutiple paperbacks any more.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

pack: ula catalyst (ounce weenies have ruined packs; i'd love to buy a new camptrails mckinley external frame pack made with todays materials. 2x the weight, but carries the load 10x better)

pad: thermarest prolite.

bag: western mountaineering something or other. also have one of the campmor 20 degree down bags that for some reason they stopped making. not the best bag but may have been the best value.

tent: big agnes seedhouse 2. considering adding a one man with a side entry. how much is a 6 oz weight reduction more or less really worth?

stove: jet boil sol becasue i'm lazy. my svea for when i'm not. and sometimes my zip stove.

shoes: nike pegasus trail shoes with superfeet green. worn em for probably 10 years because i can buy em online and know they will fit.

entertainment: kindle! no need to carry mutiple paperbacks any more.
      Omg, I forgot one very important piece of gear, my knitting! I never leave home without it.
    • I think it is relevant to consider something about the person when looking at the gear.
      e.g. I am 6ft (well verrrry close) so need a genuine 78 plus inches of inside length of tent.
      I like to sleep with my pack so want room in tent. I am happy with a pack under 35lbs and don't fret about getting under 28.
      In Australia it is very important to have full enclosure in a tent due to bugs and snakes etc. Having a free standing inner is desirable on the Bib as you often set it up inside the shelter. I am a side sleeper and carry extra weight happily if it means my hips don't hurt.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • My gear list from a hike last fall. Since then I've worn out another pair of trail runners, and at BirdBrain's suggestion, I switched to New Balance MT610's. They're great - lightweight and dry fast. I also upgraded my pack. I now carry a Granite Gear Crown VC60. All the rest of the stuff is pretty much the same.

This is "shoulder season" kit, when I might get a little snow but don't expect much worse. Adjust clothing accordingly for hot weather. In deep winter, there's a whole other list, but I won't get into that right now.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Shelters: zpacks hexamid solo tarp, borahgear borahgami tarp, or LHG duo
      Pack: zpacks arc blast 52L
      Bag: marmot arroyo 30*
      Pad: klymit static v
      Stove: n/a
      Shoes: new balance 810v3
      Poles: leki makalu super
      Flask: lawson equipment ul flask
      Umbrella: euroschirm trekker

I would like to upgrade my sleep system to a 20* and a 40* quilt.
      I'd like some lighter poles too.
    • Pack -- Kelty PK50

Shelter -- Warbonnet Ridge Runner hammock & Wilderness Logics tarp

Bedding -- Arrowhead Eq/Kickass Quilts top and bottom quilts. Exped XL air pillow

Kitchen -- DIY alcohol stove and windscreen, pint bottle for fuel, DIY cozy, spoon, lighter and cup

Toiletries -- travel toothbrush and paste, travel floss, soap, pack towel and 2oz first aid kit.

Sawyer mini, Sawyer bags and soda bottles for water.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Osprey Kestrel...................for now
      Poncho liner/ summer.........WM Puma/ winter
      Campmor 8x10 Sil nylon tarp (4 seasons) w/ surplus bug net (2seasons)
      Neoair long for backpacking........original Thermorest for car camping
      700 & 900 nesting Snowpeak pots w/litemax stove.....FBC kit..............Sawyer mini
      14 miles of assorted para cord, and screens, foot powder
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Mastick wrote:

LED lights sewn into the tent body so I can find my pee jug at night.
      I would definitely not want that.
      I don't like many hybrid devices.
      Things that do multiple functions yes, but two separate things joined together I shy away from.
      It strikes me as gimmicky.
      If you just want a light to find something near your head does the whole tent light up?
      I carry a headlamp and a torch (flashlight for you guys). And then the phone has light emission sufficient for most night use too.
    • Mastick wrote:

Oz, the other half wants it. Happiness formula.
      Max, the flashlight occupies the hand that guides the stream.
      I direct the stream in the dark.I know what I am doing well enough. I find the spot to stand with a light. Do you turn on the tent light, desensitize your night vision and then stumble off in the dark?
      Let your other half read my comments. It's a gimmick for car campers. Pack a headlamp each (with red light option) and a small but powerful flashlight. The CS 2 is a fantastic tent for a couple. Buy one of those Luci lights. The only solar power device I recommend.
    • JimBlue wrote:

I haven't tried this stuff out yet, except for the boots.

Pack: Alps Mountaineering Zion
      Pad: blue, closed cell, very lite. No idea the brand.
      Boots: Wolverine bulldozers
      Bag: Coleman 20F fiberfill
      Stove: msr whisperlite
      it's a good idea to try your gear at home. I've made a lot of cups of coffee practicing with various stoves. Coffee.gif
    • OzJacko wrote:

Mastick wrote:

Oz, the other half wants it. Happiness formula.
      Max, the flashlight occupies the hand that guides the stream.
      I direct the stream in the dark.I know what I am doing well enough. I find the spot to stand with a light. Do you turn on the tent light, desensitize your night vision and then stumble off in the dark?Let your other half read my comments. It's a gimmick for car campers. Pack a headlamp each (with red light option) and a small but powerful flashlight. The CS 2 is a fantastic tent for a couple. Buy one of those Luci lights. The only solar power device I recommend.
      I love the luci light, mine is the disco version (changes colors). But I don't carry it because I already have 3 lights, my phone, battery charger, and head lamp.
    • CoachLou wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i know several people previously have said how much they like this idea, but i agree with oz. gimmick. i know where my flashlight is; i don't want or need lights sewn in my tent.
      I hang my headlamp from the ridgeline of my tarp.....reach up to turn it on or take it down to use.
      It's so obvious I'm smacking myself in the head...why didn't I think of that? Thanks Coach!
    • Oz, it's the same tent you use with your other half, only 1 oz. heavier. Hardly a gimmick for car campers at that price/weight. Headlamp, flashlight = blinding lasers that bleach the rods & cones of the eyes. The mtnGLO is muted diffuse light. Far superior for our purposes. Don't let your other half read this, she may want one.
    • Am I the only person who steps out of my tent at night to go pee? It just seems like less work than carrying around a piss bottle all day. Before the cold is mentioned by someone, I step out to pee even if it's subzero (f) outside, my record is about -15*f.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.