Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Gear choices from those who know

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TrafficJam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I haven't tried this stuff out yet, except for the boots.

Pack: Alps Mountaineering Zion
      Pad: blue, closed cell, very lite. No idea the brand.
      Boots: Wolverine bulldozers
      Bag: Coleman 20F fiberfill
      Stove: msr whisperlite
      it's a good idea to try your gear at home. I've made a lot of cups of coffee practicing with various stoves. Coffee.gif

Ayup. I have been tryng to find time to put together the tent and try out the stove.

Probably confuse some of my nephews and neices. Some of them have been camping, and osme have been... rvcamping.

School starts soon, so I might wait until then.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Am I the only person who steps out of my tent at night to go pee? It just seems like less work than carrying around a piss bottle all day. Before the cold is mentioned by someone, I step out to pee even if it's subzero (f) outside, my record is about -15*f.

I don't pee in my tent... I get up and find the outhouse.

Okay, wait, privy. I've always done both in the privy/outhouse. I have only seen one privy with a pee funnel and a two seater.

Since the pee goes down to were the solids go as well, why do it separately ?
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Am I the only person who steps out of my tent at night to go pee? It just seems like less work than carrying around a piss bottle all day. Before the cold is mentioned by someone, I step out to pee even if it's subzero (f) outside, my record is about -15*f.

Yeah I just do not get that. I would have thought that adults would have stopped pissing in bed by six year old, and you're not going to tell me the aim is impeccable.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • JimBlue wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Okay, wait, privy. I've always done both in the privy/outhouse. I have only seen one privy with a pee funnel and a two seater.

They ask that you do not pee in privys because adds too much ammonia and messes up the decomposition of the waste- especially in composting privys.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

They ask that you do not pee in privys because adds too much ammonia and messes up the decomposition of the waste- especially in composting privys.
      Interestingly the trail clubs don't have a concensus on this, the Connecticut AMc chapter offically encourages people to pee in the privies and even wrote about it in their newsletter some years back. They didn't give a reason, but My assumption is that more people peeing in privies leads to less TP flowers on the side of the trail.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I don't pee in my tent... I get up and find the outhouse.Okay, wait, privy. I've always done both in the privy/outhouse. I have only seen one privy with a pee funnel and a two seater.

Interestingly the trail clubs don't have a concensus on this, the Connecticut AMc chapter offically encourages people to pee in the privies and even wrote about it in their newsletter some years back. They didn't give a reason, but My assumption is that more people peeing in privies leads to less TP flowers on the side of the trail.
      it depends on whether its a composting privy or a mouldering privy.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I don't pee in my tent... I get up and find the outhouse.Okay, wait, privy. I've always done both in the privy/outhouse. I have only seen one privy with a pee funnel and a two seater.
      it depends on whether its a composting privy or a mouldering privy.
      Mouldering privies? I assume they are named after Fox Moulder from the X-Files and the numerous sludge creatures he investigated?
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i am a fat, over the hill, has been hiker becasue (hanging head in shame) last month i took advantage of rei's 25% off sale and bought a pair of cork handled flip-lock lekkis.

but i intend to use only one pole at a time, so i guess i am sipping the kool aid and not drinking it.
      So what gear does a fat, over the hill, has been hiker carry? I want to know!
      A picture is a thousand words,,, add a tarp and Smart water bottle.....

[IMG:http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/20150729_2005051_zpsttpigvsa.jpg]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Have one of those little Leathermans.
      Love it but don't always take it.
      I am away from home at the moment but will post a pic of my lighter later. It is heavier but far superior to the Bic for lighting alcohol stoves.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

How do you find it in those temperatures?

I carry a pee bottle, but only in deep winter.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Pack - Osprey Exos 58
      Pad - Neo Air Xlite
      Bag - Western Mountaineering Highlite 35
      Shelter - Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2
      Kitchen - MSR Pocket Rocket w/GSI soloist
      Filter- Sawyer Mini
      Shoes - La Sportivas Ultra Raptors
      Rain Jacket- Marmot precip and DriDucks for rain pants
      RIAP
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

How do you find it in those temperatures?
      I carry a pee bottle, but only in deep winter.
      i avoid the situation entirely by not going on trips in subzero weather.down to 10 degrees or so is enough for me, otherwise i just stay home.
      its all good
    • Hammocking:
      Pack - Granite Gear Crown 60
      Shelter - 3 DIY tarps for varying outings
      In

Tuckahoe wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Yeah I just do not get that. I would have thought that adults would have stopped pissing in bed by six year old, and you're not going to tell me the aim is impeccable.
      Not sure why I remember this so well, but, I got up one night with snow falling and went out for a leak, only had boxers on, was invigorating feeling the snow falling on me, went back to the bag and slept like a rock.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

We need a pee thread.

I leave my tent to pee. When it's cold, I'll hold it for hours and be too uncomfortable to sleep because I don't want to go out.
      Be careful not to fall back asleep, I made that mistake once.
      Eek! I've worried about that before, but it hasn't happened to me yet!
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

We need a pee thread.

I leave my tent to pee. When it's cold, I'll hold it for hours and be too uncomfortable to sleep because I don't want to go out.
      Be careful not to fall back asleep, I made that mistake once.
      Eek! I've worried about that before, but it hasn't happened to me yet!
      That runpee app might be useful after all.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • hikerboy wrote:

i just get dressed and get out asap.i figure i gotta bite the bullet anyway, so may as well,i know ill sleep better.once the urge gets your attention, you're no longer sleeping soundly.
      Honestly I often don't get dressed, I just throw on my shoes and run out of my tent, even when it's winter, usually I throw on a jacket, but it's really just that and boxers... I'm grateful that it's dark out and nobody has seen me do it, I'm sure it's comical.

The worst was one January when I was camping in MA and the temps were just under zero (f), I had to pee, so I jumped out of my bag, threw on a fleece (not a real coat) and my untied boots and hiked out to a tree quickly. As I was doing so my buddy's border collie snuck out of the tent and followed me. After I peed and walked back to the tent he decided it was playtime and the son of a bitch proceeded to run around the shelter and campsites for 5 minutes while I tried to grab him and throw him back in the tent. I was not amused...
    • Pack - 3 season: ULA Circut - winter: Gregory baltoro 70
      Pad - z-rest foam pad - Winter: therm-a-rest pro-lite on top of z-rest
      Bag - rei sub kilo "20 degree" bag (the POS is barely a 40 degree bag - EMS Mountain Light zero degree bad (highly recommended) - borrowed -20 degree EMS synthetic bag when needed (price is right)
      Shelter - Tarptent double rainbow - sometimes borrowed North Face Mountain 25 - formerly awesome beat-up Eureka 5lb 2 man tent, still own and love it
      Kitchen - Jetboil
      Shoes - La Sportiva wildcats - Scarpa Kailash GTX - Salewa Pro Gaiter Boots - Sorel Conquests pac boots
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Pack - 3 season: ULA Circut - winter: Gregory baltoro 70
      Pad - z-rest foam pad - Winter: therm-a-rest pro-lite on top of z-rest
      Bag - rei sub kilo "20 degree" bag (the POS is barely a 40 degree bag - EMS Mountain Light zero degree bad (highly recommended) - borrowed -20 degree EMS synthetic bag when needed (price is right)
      Shelter - Tarptent double rainbow - sometimes borrowed North Face Mountain 25 - formerly awesome beat-up Eureka 5lb 2 man tent, still own and love it
      Kitchen - Jetboil
      Shoes - La Sportiva wildcats - Scarpa Kailash GTX - Salewa Pro Gaiter Boots - Sorel Conquests pac boots
      I have an old 5lb Eureka tent that I love as well...Its bomb proof
      RIAP
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

did someone say eureka tent?
      Eureka Pinnacle pass ! That's the exact model I have!
      I had the Timberline from when I was about 11 years old until around the time my daughter was born...I have an Apex2 which looks very similar to that tent here..
      We had one of those Timberline tents too. But had to ditch it when the waterproof coating deteriorated. The smell was something awful. Couldn't stomach to sleep in it.