Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

UC hiking/tips&trix?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• UC hiking/tips&trix?

Gotta love the hikers who broadcast their exploits for public consumption on tj, ph and TOS. I'm an entertained consumer who eats it up when they spill their guts, but I'm not a contributor because jeez! the online written word can have unintended consequences. (F'rinstance, clued-in and apparently well-heeled hikers don't publish gear lists.) Even with trail names and other precautions, privacy/anonymity seekers are losing the battle. Two recent examples seriously stick in my craw. But then again, if this topic doesn't generate much interest I'll just keep it to myself, I'm good at that. To wit:

-alternating trail name
      -no journal
      -cash on the barrel head
      -skirting the bubble
      -no aspirations for an official hiking certificate
      P.S. I'm pure as the driven snow, I just don't like responding to Twenty Questions on the trail from someone using a pseudonym himself, who wants to make an extraordinary person such as myself his or her tj tidbit. Just kidding about the last part.
      P.P.S. Guarding privacy doesn't imply membership in The People Haters Club. Just kidding, yes it does. ^^
    • is this a CHALLENGE for us to guess your OTHER online personalities? because if we TRY i know we will SUCCEED. EVERYONE has a certain WRITING style just as they have a certain HIKING style. and YOU do TOO!!! if i wasn't BANNED from whiteblaze for speaking the TRUTH i could figure YOUR other IDENTITY in minutes. but THE MAN has silenced me so it will take a bit longer. but we will SUCCEED!!! you SIR or MS will be OUTTED!!!!! :)
      2,000 miler
    • Creepy hiker thread? Too cruel unless you're talking about Bismarck (unk to me) and Max (unk to me) so I'll take your word on that assessment of them.

The intended topic was in fact about creepy prying hikers, so you got that right. Like the jag off who just outed the high ranking Naval officer who was heretofore safely flying under the radar. And the duo who drops the ATI clones off nobo, then hikes SOBO to make sure they do as told, while gathering intel on every hiker they come across.

So staying on topic, my uninitiated ears want to know more about Bis and Max.
    • as to me, i wrote my post in a way to show that everyone has a certain writing style and you can adopt a new screen name but eventually others will catch on. oz knew exactly what i was doing and who i was imitating.

as to bismarck, he stole $9 million dollars from his company (2010 i think) and then hiked the trail every year since. he did not shy away from being photographed and was mentioned in many trail journals. a tv show was made about his theft. a former thru hiker who had hiked with him a short time recognized him from the tv show and called the fbi. as a result of this tip the fbi arrested him last may during trail days. here is a great article about it:

sbnation.com/longform/2015/7/1…ppalachian-trail-bismarck
      2,000 miler
    • Lone Wolf seems to be the one guy who finds himself right at home at the cafe, TOS, and Sgt Rock's place. Unlike the rest of you. So give him that, the guy's got charm. Or something. Another thing I'll give him is this. Once when a group of us were at base camp (hanging our hineys out while changing and the usual stuff) Lone Wolf and 2 companions passed by. Every single person in our group remarked that he was the only one to stroll by who didn't eyeball our
      camp. No matter how you slice it, that's good manners right there.

To the inquisitors: my trail name is Teardrop. Not even.

And good on Max.Patch for getting banned from TOS. My kinda guy (or girl, I have no clew.)
    • Mastick wrote:

Lone Wolf seems to be the one guy who finds himself right at home at the cafe, TOS, and Sgt Rock's place. Unlike the rest of you. So give him that, the guy's got charm. Or something. Another thing I'll give him is this. Once when a group of us were at base camp (hanging our hineys out while changing and the usual stuff) Lone Wolf and 2 companions passed by. Every single person in our group remarked that he was the only one to stroll by who didn't eyeball our
      camp. No matter how you slice it, that's good manners right there.

To the inquisitors: my trail name is Teardrop. Not even.

And good on Max.Patch for getting banned from TOS. My kinda guy (or girl, I have no clew.)
      For the record I consider Wolf one of the best people I met in the USA and consider him a true and genuine friend. Max and I have had issues but we have so much in common we may get over it. The other person Max was mimicing is someone that I would love to meet one day. I still believe him responsible for a vitriolic and anonymous series of entries in Violet B's trail journal. Despite many thousands of posts on TOS he has never posted anything that identifies him. This incredibly high level of anonymity is also my biggest remaining wariness of Max. I believe the more secretive (beyond reasonable security precautions) you are on the Internet, the more suspicious your posts.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Sentence structure can be used to identify someone, just like walking patterns, and ears.

Ears ? Why yes, the ridges of tissue in your outer ear is rather individualistic. Note that most time characters' ears are identical in a particular anime. Too much trouble to make the ear ridges for each character. Copy and paste.

Walking patterns ? Yes, people walking around a warehouse after the company had closed for the day. Surveillance video was blury, but the microphone picket up the footsteps. The police were able to get a match.

New stuff ? Nope, 1970s. The technology has only improved since then.

I think I watch too much television, otherwise I wouldn't know all that.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Sentence structure can be used to identify someone, just like walking patterns, and ears.

Ears ? Why yes, the ridges of tissue in your outer ear is rather individualistic. Note that most time characters' ears are identical in a particular anime. Too much trouble to make the ear ridges for each character. Copy and paste.

Walking patterns ? Yes, people walking around a warehouse after the company had closed for the day. Surveillance video was blury, but the microphone picket up the footsteps. The police were able to get a match.

New stuff ? Nope, 1970s. The technology has only improved since then.

I think I watch too much television, otherwise I wouldn't know all that.
      Sentence structure in the entries in Violets trail journal was VERY distinctive.
      ;)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

The other person Max was mimicing is someone that I would love to meet one day. I still believe him responsible for a vitriolic and anonymous series of entries in Violet B's trail journal. Despite many thousands of posts on TOS he has never posted anything that identifies him.
      Internet vs real life. Vitriolic online p.o.s.'s are good to avoid, and makes a case for privacy seekers on the trail. But true privacy is an illusion.
      Seek and ye shall find. A US passport (facial recognition technology) and smart phone (gps pings) means Big Brudda is a constant companion. I'm good with that,
      BB doesn't spill it on a chat site/blog. My go-to sources are shuttlers, they know everything about everyone.

...off to find Violet B's journal
    • Mastick wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

The other person Max was mimicing is someone that I would love to meet one day. I still believe him responsible for a vitriolic and anonymous series of entries in Violet B's trail journal. Despite many thousands of posts on TOS he has never posted anything that identifies him.
      Internet vs real life. Vitriolic online p.o.s.'s are good to avoid, and makes a case for privacy seekers on the trail. But true privacy is an illusion.Seek and ye shall find. A US passport (facial recognition technology) and smart phone (gps pings) means Big Brudda is a constant companion. I'm good with that,
      BB doesn't spill it on a chat site/blog. My go-to sources are shuttlers, they know everything about everyone.

...off to find Violet B's journal
      Offending comments deleted. They had a lot of words typed in capitals.