Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

ADVICE: Hybrid NOBO in the N.E.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• ADVICE: Hybrid NOBO in the N.E.

I feel like TrafficJam in the "Where Should I Hike" thread.

After 15 years contentedly backpacking in the south, 2016 begins my foray into the north. The AT is the basic spine of my route but I'm cherry picking sections, generally heading northward
      via the AT and other trails. If I can endure 4 - 5 months, it's the Tuscalachian Trail starting early April and ending somewhere in Maine, aided by an OVERWHELMING assortment of Delmorme Gazetteers and trail guides. At the moment, it's patchwork but here's what I've got so far (interspersed with AT sections.)
      -Tuscarora Trail
      -Catoctin Trail (also holing up there to walk Gettysburg, Antietam)
      -Long Path NY-NJ
      -White Mountains Natl Forest, somewhere
      -Bigelow Preserve Trail
      Then detouring to Acadia or Boundary Waters.

Any high fives for less crowded non-AT backpacking trails (long or short) in CT, MA, VT, not too far from the AT?
      Anything else? Dang, I like old worn slippers...maybe I should just comfortably stay in the south? Nah.
    • If you're doing the NY Long Path, the really nice section is the Catskills (the roughtly hundred miles from Riggsville to Conesville). The Shawangunk Ridge is also awesome through Minnewaska and on some of the state forest lands, but the southern section of the Shawangunk Ridge is mostly stuff like rail trail. North of Ellenville, before you hit the Catskills, there's also a roadwalk section, although it's possible to bushwhack the intended future route of the trail through the Vernooy Kill State Forest. There's a fair amount of roadwalk connecting the isolated sections of trail through the Schoharie Valley, but MIne Kill Falls and Vrooman's Nose are nice, and Thacher Park has great views and geology.

In the Catskill section, definitely take the unmarked trail over Kaaterskill High Peak to catch the view from Hurricane Ledges. There's also a herd path leading east from the summit to another viewpoint and to a plane crash site. Please leave the wreckage as you find it. You can rejoin the NY LP from the snowmobile trail on the north side.

The Northern Excursion is mostly roadwalk, but at least it's mostly pleasant rural roadwalk. If you arrange in advance, I might be able to help with a shuttle out of Altamont up to Northville or something.

The Northern Excursion connects with the Northville-Placid Trail, which is great, and remote. There are two 40-mile sections with no road crossings, not even logging roads, and no way out shorter than the trail. NY's answer to the Hundred Mile Wilderness.

A really intrepid hiker and bushwhacker could conceivably make a connection on the somewhat hallucinatory North Country Trail across to the LT near Rutland. It's not really a trail yet, more of a route, but Andrew Skurka has thru-hiked it.

But it might be more fun to head up to Lake Placid, which is the hiking capital of New York. It's right in the middle of the HIgh Peaks region. The Great Range is there, and Lake Colden, and Avalanche Pass, and really astonishing scenery. The only thing is that it's kind of a dead end for a hiker, there's no really great connection to anywhere without simply getting on a bus in Lake Placid.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.