Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

bought a camera

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• bought a camera

I just bought a camera and it came with a handlebar mount. Ion S3000, red. I would rather it had more of a 55mm lens instead of the 120mm that came with it. I prefer PNG over jpg, but most cameras I looked at save in jpg now.

I do have a rectangular digital camera that saves in png or jpg.

I can recharge the AAs in the rectangular camera, but I don't see how I can recharge the Ion while on the trail.

The Ion camera claims 3 hours of battery life, 45 minutes if taking video.

I haven't used the rectangular for video, so I have no idea how long it would last battery wise. it uses 2 AAs.

Do many locations on the AT, and other trails, have wall sockets I could plug the USB charger into ?

Both can take a 32 gig microSD card. Which do you think would be better to take on a hike ? The Ion is much lighter.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • I carry a backup battery (mine came from Home Depot but there are lots out there). I can charge my phone about twice from about 20% back to 100% with it. I can also use it to put some charge in my camera if needed. Most hostels and all hotels along the way give you power outlets so it's a matter of how often you stay off trail, about 4 day maximum for me. Get a wall plug that can take at least 2, preferably 4 usb cables as everyone else will want to charge their stuff too and wall sockets are at a premium in hostels. All the people with solar chargers will be trying to get access to the wall sockets. ;)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • I think only you can really make that choice. I carry my phone and use it for video and panorama shots and an occasional photo for Facebook. I carry an Olympus Tough TG1 for the bulk of my memories. Remember the camera in your pack will never get that bear pic. Take a camera readily accessible even in bad weather.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • i'm the last person on this site qualified to give camera advice, however, i'm no ounce weenie but even i would never consider carrying 2 cameras. one is plenty. and there are plenty of people who will tell you that even one is too many -- and to just use your phone.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i'm the last person on this site qualified to give camera advice, however, i'm no ounce weenie but even i would never consider carrying 2 cameras. one is plenty. and there are plenty of people who will tell you that even one is too many -- and to just use your phone.

The only phone I have is in the kitchen, and even though it's cordless it doesn't have enough range to hike with. Oh, and there's no camera either :D