Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

hiking videos with not much of the trail ?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• hiking videos with not much of the trail ?

I have been looking on youtube for a couple of weeks for/at various hiking videos.

While I understand some folks like to make videos of themselves walking the trail, evidently to show off their backpack and hat ( or shaved head), they show much less of the trail than of themselves.

Anyone have suggestions on trail videos that show the trails ?

I'm interesting in the AT and Pinhoti trails.

Thanks ! ?(
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

I have been looking on youtube for a couple of weeks for/at various hiking videos.

While I understand some folks like to make videos of themselves walking the trail, evidently to show off their backpack and hat ( or shaved head), they show much less of the trail than of themselves.

Anyone have suggestions on trail videos that show the trails ?

I'm interesting in the AT and Pinhoti trails.

Thanks ! ?(

appalachiantrials.com/best-appalachian-trail-videos/

Dunno about the Pinhoti.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • OzJacko wrote:

In 2012 a guy called Loner hiked the trail and made about 50+ videos all on YouTube.
      Whilst like everyone he has a lot of stuff that is about him I found he was more interesting than most.
      Loner was great! Another guy who hiked that year (and they met at one point, both putting it on video) and made good videos was Fatherman. FM is currently hiking the PCT. After his AT thru he went through and won a fight with cancer.

JimBlue I'm currently following a few thrus from this year. Not sure if any will be what you're looking for, but give me a few minutes to get outside of some coffee and I'll post links to their channels.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • This year's group:

youtube.com/channel/UCu3kJ1g-3BG0Z9Pw_rW1HsQ

youtube.com/channel/UC71OSDy9sXqYbFVvWMVQlcw

youtube.com/channel/UCfUtIK1Wk-iMWoX0YW5eYEg

Fatherman if you want to watch his old stuff and/or follow him on the PCT:

youtube.com/channel/UCmCxxBAsIrxR0ELGWtwZg8w

I don't really pay attention to the self/trail ratio on videos, I just follow the ones who don't make me want to hurl. I generally start out following double the number I stick with and delete most within a couple weeks for various reasons. I've also noticed in following thrus on YouTube for the past few years that the "trail stuff" gets old. "Oh look, he's at Grayson. I wonder how many times he'll talk to the horses as if they're capable of conversation."
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • OzJacko wrote:

In 2012 a guy called Loner hiked the trail and made about 50+ videos all on YouTube.
      Whilst like everyone he has a lot of stuff that is about him I found he was more interesting than most.
      Loner lives near me and his videos were really good. Great guy!

I've also been following Gator Miller's and Crystal Weaver's videos that Grinder linked to above. 3rd shift is rather boring so I watch a lot of trail videos and documentaries at night, lol.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • hikerboy wrote:

riffraff is everything thats wrong with the trail today
      If I ever encounter a group that both you and Warren Doyle like, I'll know they must be awesome. ;)

They seemed high-spirited and a bit iconoclastic, but I didn't see evidence of egregious sins (with the possible exception of hanging out with Doyle...) in that specific video. Perhaps I'm blind to something.
    • hikerboy wrote:

actually sevens documentaries are some of the better ones and give a good idea of the different people who thru hike.
      Riff raff is basically a party support team that travels north with the bubble
      Party support team? Sounds like you saying that is where the drug dealers hang out.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Grinder wrote:

This year's group:

I don't really pay attention to the self/trail ratio on videos, I just follow the ones who don't make me want to hurl. I generally start out following double the number I stick with and delete most within a couple weeks for various reasons. I've also noticed in following thrus on YouTube for the past few years that the "trail stuff" gets old. "Oh look, he's at Grayson. I wonder how many times he'll talk to the horses as if they're capable of conversation."

I haven't counted the ratio, but if I see too much of face and not enough of trail I get bored quickly.

I have read several books and a few sites, I was mostly wanting to see the various parts of the AT and other trails where it said it was difficult. I'm getting old and I don't want to run into something I cannot handle.

From what I have read so far, I can negotiate the majority of the AT. Its some patches I may have to go around, etc.

My relatives are doing their best to talk me out of going... but they should have learned by now that just makes me more wanting to go. I doubt I would be able to thru hike it in one year though. Money would be my biggest concern, so I probably need to start saving up.

Of course, I could always go for the 'retirement income that costs a dollar' thing and try for a lotto win. :)
      --
    • hikerboy wrote:

actually sevens documentaries are some of the better ones and give a good idea of the different people who thru hike.
      Riff raff is basically a party support team that travels north with the bubble
      Yeah. I didn't appreciate some of the other videos in the same series. One of them seemed to be not at all about thru-hikers and all about the narrator's mushroom hangover.

But you seemed to have outside knowledge of Riff Raff that wasn't apparent in the video, except for the cooler of beer. And coolers of beer are often spotted at hiker feeds.

And you know I'm ambivalent about those. I'm not a 'thru hiker' and seldom actually on the A-T, so I'm not ordinarily invited, but I think that in my situation, if I were, I'd say, 'no thank you, I have other plans' and hike on. I'm the very opposite of a party animal.
    • JimBlue wrote:

From what I have read so far, I can negotiate the majority of the AT. Its some patches I may have to go around, etc.

My relatives are doing their best to talk me out of going... but they should have learned by now that just makes me more wanting to go. I doubt I would be able to thru hike it in one year though. Money would be my biggest concern, so I probably need to start saving up.

Of course, I could always go for the 'retirement income that costs a dollar' thing and try for a lotto win. :)
      Unless you're really facing a disability, you most likely can do it. The entire trail is walkable, with the exception of a handful of 'hands to the rock' scrambles. It is strenuous - you have to be in fair cardio shape for the spots that have 3000-foot elevation gains, but it's nowhere all that technical. Even the scrambles - if you can manage, say, to climb a couple of storeys up an extension ladder, you can manage the scrambles. They're no harder than that.

What's hard about it is doing it day after day, not the technical difficulty of the trail itself.

(Says someone who will never thru-hike, so take this with a grain of salt. But I have section hiked a lot of the places that people say are tough.)
    • I can live with that. Heights bother me, but I've climbed ladders.

The heights thing is one reason why I'm going to be hiking in 'lower' elevations this year and next, to get me used to being high up. I grew up in Texas, and I am rather much of a flat lander for now. Seeing the horizon a long way off is what I'm used to. Seeing a drop off a few feet away is not.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

Watched about 10-12 of Loner's and FM's videos. Flat, and some drop offs. I think I can handle that.

Certainly have to plan for the areas with no cooking. I presume those are mostly out west, unless its been dry on the AT.
      maybe 300 miles of the at is flat.maine has a few scrambles that are kinda rock climbs,and the flat sections have roots rocks and bogs. the southern half winds up and around the mountains mostly using switchbacks. the northern half is all up and over, with much fewer switchbacks.
      take a stove, you can cook anywhere.
      its all good
    • Doing it wrong seems to be my lot in life.
      I could never bring myself to smoke a cigarette so never have enjoyed the softer (than nicotine) drug, pot. I like a beer but not wine and spirits only in sips so enjoying a drink on the trail requires the carrying of significant weight (you can't drink just ONE beer).
      Besides which I don't like multiple exits from the tent for nature breaks during the night.
      So I am forced to hike clear headed and sober.
      It's a wonder I hike at all.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Grinder wrote:

This year's group:

I haven't counted the ratio, but if I see too much of face and not enough of trail I get bored quickly.

I have read several books and a few sites, I was mostly wanting to see the various parts of the AT and other trails where it said it was difficult. I'm getting old and I don't want to run into something I cannot handle.

If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • hikerboy wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Watched about 10-12 of Loner's and FM's videos. Flat, and some drop offs. I think I can handle that.

Certainly have to plan for the areas with no cooking. I presume those are mostly out west, unless its been dry on the AT.
      maybe 300 miles of the at is flat.maine has a few scrambles that are kinda rock climbs,and the flat sections have roots rocks and bogs. the southern half winds up and around the mountains mostly using switchbacks. the northern half is all up and over, with much fewer switchbacks.take a stove, you can cook anywhere.

I haver a msr whisperlite. New. I have an old stove I bought back around 1975. It is missing part of the pot holder stand. My relatives told me they can make me one. It is much heavier than the MSR stove. But has a fuel reservoir so overall weighs a bit less.

I used the older stove several times years ago. Very loud. I used a Coleman stove, large group, a few times as well.

One of my high school buddies used a Sterno stove with a small windscreen... we waited, and waited, and waited. It never did boil the water.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

maybe 300 miles of the at is flat.maine has a few scrambles that are kinda rock climbs,and the flat sections have roots rocks and bogs. the southern half winds up and around the mountains mostly using switchbacks. the northern half is all up and over, with much fewer switchbacks.take a stove, you can cook anywhere.
      I haver a msr whisperlite. New. I have an old stove I bought back around 1975. It is missing part of the pot holder stand. My relatives told me they can make me one. It is much heavier than the MSR stove. But has a fuel reservoir so overall weighs a bit less.

I used the older stove several times years ago. Very loud. I used a Coleman stove, large group, a few times as well.

One of my high school buddies used a Sterno stove with a small windscreen... we waited, and waited, and waited. It never did boil the water.
      rei.com/product/660163/msr-poc…M29y-Gd9MYCFZWRHwodDLYLQw
      its all good
    • JimBlue wrote:

Whisperlite is a great winter stove, because fuel weight becomes the issue when you have to melt your drinking water. It's heavy and cranky in the summer. I use a soda can stove in all but the coldest weather.