Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

specs on packs ?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• specs on packs ?

I gave away my 5000 cubic inch pack some years ago. Well, my dad decided to cut a hole in the house wall, and sliced into one side pocket of my pack. Kinda airy in that pocket.

So recently I got bit by some bug, and decided to hike again. I had read both books 'Through Hikers' Eyes' about thru hiking up the AT.

One thing I have noticed is most sites don't have torso lengths and cubic inches/liters the packs can contain.

Some sites have it on the page for some packs, but their searches don't have torso length and volume filters. Sigh.

I did get an Alps Mountaineering pack, 3900 cu. in. external. Adjustable out to 27" torso length, which is what I was looking for. There are some side pockets I have no clue what they are for, so I'll just use them for something. Space below the pack, on the frame, for a sleeping bag or tent, but no straps to hold them on.

What experiences, good or bad, you have had looking for a backpack that fits you ?
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • To be honest, I don't really look at pack volume. I know how much my gear weighs so I look at the recommended total pack weight. I carry a ULA Circuit and the recommended weight is 30lbs or less.

I want my pack to weigh as little as possible. That usually means the suspension has been minimized so I've had to buy several packs before finding one that has enough support. Otherwise, I really don't have a problem with fit.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

To be honest, I don't really look at pack volume. I know how much my gear weighs so I look at the recommended total pack weight. I carry a ULA Circuit and the recommended weight is 30lbs or less.

I want my pack to weigh as little as possible. That usually means the suspension has been minimized so I've had to buy several packs before finding one that has enough support. Otherwise, I really don't have a problem with fit.
      Me too. A problem with volume specs is they are all measured differently. A lot of companies that do list volumes will give numerous for the main compartmrnt, the side pouches, the Bach pouch, etc. But it seems toe if I fill the main compartment to capacity then it expands and limits the capacity if the back pouch. If I fill the back pouch, it takes space away from the main compartment, tec... I have an elemental horizons Kalais, which seems to be very comparable to the ULA circuit.
    • A ballpark figure I can live with... its having to estimate from a photo that bothers me. Most photos I have seen recently rarely show the shoulder straps side of the pack. Makes me wonder if the straps lack padding or something else is wrong with them.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.