Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

New Tarp with Poncho Door

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New Tarp with Poncho Door

So I have a new tarp, that I bought, that I am modifying. I really like it because it is 1-1/2 person tarp, so it is a palace for one. I wanted a way to close off the entrance during a blowing a rain. The idea came to me to modify my poncho/pack cover/parka and use it to close off the front. I made a few mods to it so it can be installed in just a few seconds from under the tarp. Now my poncho does triple duty. I think it's pretty darn cool,I may just have to patent this thing.
      Images
      • Tarp Side View.jpg

142.02 kB, 800×480, viewed 564 times
      • Tarp with Poncho Door.jpg

182.58 kB, 800×480, viewed 710 times
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Tonight I finished the net tent- well almost. I still have a couple of net pockets to sew in. Not a perfect pitch, but the skeeters were biting and I wanted to hurry up and get inside.
      Images
      • Tarp and Net.jpg

179.46 kB, 800×480, viewed 437 times
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Jimmyjam, let me ask you a question...

I have a hexamid tarp and have been considering adding perimeter netting.on the sides and back. It would have to be back set a few inches so rain doesn't run straight down the tarp onto it.

What would be the best way to attach it? .... Cuben tape? ..... A couple pieces of soft velcro so it's removable?
    • Dmax wrote:

Jimmyjam, let me ask you a question...

I have a hexamid tarp and have been considering adding perimeter netting.on the sides and back. It would have to be back set a few inches so rain doesn't run straight down the tarp onto it.

What would be the best way to attach it? .... Cuben tape? ..... A couple pieces of soft velcro so it's removable?
      I would mark on the inside of the cuben tarp with a gray marker where you want the netting. Then fold the edge of the netting over 1/2" so you have a hem and stitch this to the cuben with two rows of wide spaced stitches. Rows of stitches should be at least 1/4" apart. Use regular polyester thread- I like gutterman. Then tape over the stitching on the outside of the tarp with the 1" wide cuben tape made by 3m. You can buy the tape from xpacks, bear paw wilderness designs and others.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference