Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What Are You Reading?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Pennsylvania Game Commission "study of wildlife pest control." Bat's Beavers, & Skunks Oh My!

EDIT - Damn this is hard....got pics
      So here is a example of one of the things I have to buy. This is a one way door that removes squirrels and prevents more damage, some of them are $120 dollars + and require two or three trips to remove them humanly.

Here is one that got caught, female making her nest in a garage attic and produced over $4000 damages in one week to the roofing material

This is the super hole she made to the roof under a one way door that had humanly removed her as the first hole is under the aluminum to the right, she was pushed out 2x and kept chewing back in.
      Look at the beams that support the roof and the electrical wiring. Squirrels need to gnaw all the time or they die. This is two weeks of damage inside the attic the attempted nest by her is to the left of the support and the light is the hole to the roof.

Please do not feed squirrels.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

The post was edited 2 times, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• As soon as my normally nonmotivated to read buddy turns it loose, I’m reading ‘Shoot like a Girl’ by M. J. Hagar. She served three Afganistan tours as a search and rescue helicopter pilot.

It must be good as he’s still reading the book.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

As soon as my normally nonmotivated to read buddy turns it loose, I’m reading ‘Shoot like a Girl’ by M. J. Hagar. She served three Afganistan tours as a search and rescue helicopter pilot.

It must be good as he’s still reading the book.
      Added to the Kindle queue.

If only I'd read 'em as fast as I add 'em. :P
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Currently in the middle of 11/22/63 by Stephen King and I can't recommend it highly enough. I don't like King but this was so well recommended by a co-worker I had to give it a shot. Glad I did.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Grinder wrote:

Currently in the middle of 11/22/63 by Stephen King and I can't recommend it highly enough. I don't like King but this was so well recommended by a co-worker I had to give it a shot. Glad I did.
      Other than his short story collections, one of his best.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Continuing to read trash but also listening to Kristin Hannah’s The Great Alone.

It’s about a Vietnam vet with PTSD and his family who move to remote Alaska and have to quickly prepare for the long winter, and then survive the vet’s psychological breakdown. It’s good so far but I probably won’t finish it, like I didn’t finish her book, the Nightingale.

I’ve also downloaded the Shape of Water.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I finally finished 11/22/63. An outstanding book even though at times it seems to plod along. It took me longer to read than it should've because as always I'm easily distra--
    • Getting ready to start Children of Nazis: The Sons and Daughters of Himmler, Göring, Höss, Mengele, and Others- Living with a Father's Monstrous Legacy, by Tania Crasnianski and Molly Grogan.
    • Grinder wrote:

I finally finished 11/22/63. An outstanding book even though at times it seems to plod along. It took me longer to read than it should've because as always I'm easily distra--
      When I first glanced at the first sentence my thought was why is he giving us his birthday. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • i read the hunger games trilogy when it came out (required reading for one of my sons in school) and really enjoyed it.

being a movie person i was looking forward to the adaptation to the big screen. they made the 3 books into 4 movies.

i saw the first 2 movies in the theater as soon as they were released.

i saw the 3rd when it hit redbox.

i'm now watching the 4th on cable tv close to 3 years after it was originally released.
      2,000 miler
    • i read red sparrow with the objective of seeing it in the theater after i finished it. spy novels are not a genre i read, so this was something out of my norm.

i thot the book was meh.

i thot the movie was double meh.

both red sparrow and the hunger games starred jennifer lawrence -- being a typical superficial male this may have influenced my decision. :)
      2,000 miler
    • I'm working my way through Bernard Cornwell's, The Saxon Tales series. If you've watched The Last Kingdom series on Netflix or I think the BBC, it's based on Saxon Tales books. So far I'm enjoying the books.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • Awaiting Frankopan’s ‘The Silk Roads, A New History of the World’ on the local library’s reserve list. However while doing so, started L. T. Ryan's Jack Noble series. Very lightweight summer reading. May not continue reading the series.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Off Speed: Baseball, Pitching, and the Art of Deception by Terry McDermott
      The book is based around Felix Hernandez's perfect game again the Tampa Bay Rays. Besides giving lot of information about pitching (types, history, etc..), it also gives interesting reflections back to his growing up in the mid-west.
    • Not Without Peril: 150 Years of Misadventure on the Presidential Range of New Hampshire by Nicolas Howe
      While it can be depressing at times since as described in the title things do not usually end well. But as George Santayana said
      "those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it", and that I believe that is more the value of the book. Showing what not to do and how improvements have been made over time. Also interesting due to the authors familiarity with the subject and association with some of the actual stories. Staying at Joe Dodge Lodge next summer is going to mean a lot since I read in this book his involvement with so many of the stories.
    • Astro wrote:

Not Without Peril: 150 Years of Misadventure on the Presidential Range of New Hampshire by Nicolas Howe
      While it can be depressing at times since as described in the title things do not usually end well. But as George Santayana said
      "those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it", and that I believe that is more the value of the book. Showing what not to do and how improvements have been made over time. Also interesting due to the authors familiarity with the subject and association with some of the actual stories. Staying at Joe Dodge Lodge next summer is going to mean a lot since I read in this book his involvement with so many of the stories.
      Astro, does that book talk about the death of Dereck Tinkham? I thought what his hiking partner did was criminal.

For those who do not know the story, here is a short write up from Yankee Magazine...
      backcountry.net/arch/at/0311/msg00400.html
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

The post was edited 1 time, last by IMScotty ().

• IMScotty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Not Without Peril: 150 Years of Misadventure on the Presidential Range of New Hampshire by Nicolas Howe
      Astro, does that book talk about the death of Dereck Tinkham? I thought what his hiking partner did was criminal.For those who do not know the story, here is a short write up from Yankee Magazine...
      All I can say is WOW
    • IMScotty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Astro, does that book talk about the death of Dereck Tinkham? I thought what his hiking partner did was criminal.
      For those who do not know the story, here is a short write up from Yankee Magazine...
      Yes, he pretty much does, but in way that probably protects him from being sued for libel. But does a good job quoting other people including the Yankee Magazine article. Pretty pathetic example of a "hiking partner". :thumbdown:
    • Don't know if the book mentions this but that guy supposedly 'Haased' another hiking partner on the same route a year or two before the fatality. That partner was said to have lost all his toes. It boggles my mind.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Don't know if the book mentions this but that guy supposedly 'Haased' another hiking partner on the same route a year or two before the fatality. That partner was said to have lost all his toes. It boggles my mind.
      Yes he covered that too. Makes it pretty clear based upon the facts that the guy was a total jerk and terrible hiking partner. Made point that the stronger hiker should always take into consideration the condition of the other hiker(s) first. This guy totally disregarded this key principle. He was all about his own ambition without any concern for his "partner's" situation in multiple situations. One lost his toes and another later his life.
    • i bought a couple books for my upcoming trip.

i'm no lib -- i'm actually slightly to the right of ronald reagan -- but you'd never know by these books.

1. "unhinged" -- an insiders account of the trump white house by omarosa.
      2. "the president is missing" by bill clinton and james patterson.
      i got the "the president is missing" as i've never read any patterson and he is supposedly a popular writer. and i think bill clinton is the perfect choice to talk about a president going missing as i believe he snuck outta the white house on more than one occasion for "meetings" with females and to sneak in a big mac or three.

the last book i read that focused on bill clinton was written by gennifer flowers -- that now was an interesting book. :)
      2,000 miler