Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What Are You Reading?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Waiting on Harold McGee's book
      "On food and cooking" to arrive in the mail. After looking it up on the net (it's available in a PDF form) as per "Odd Man Out"...its a fantastic book and resorse for anyone interested in the why for's and how come's on food science in the kitchen.
    • mental note wrote:

Waiting on Harold McGee's book
      "On food and cooking" to arrive in the mail. After looking it up on the net (it's available in a PDF form) as per "Odd Man Out"...its a fantastic book and resorse for anyone interested in the why for's and how come's on food science in the kitchen.
      Hmmmm....I want this book but it's $20 for Kindle. Is it worth it?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

Only if you are a real food science geek
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

Thanks, that helps. I'll hold off on purchasing this.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

I've got a copy and haven't looked at it in years
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

I've got a copy and haven't looked at it in years
      definitely geeky stuff...I love geeky!
    • Just finished Alone Together. She could have cut some of it out and still made her point. Focused too much on her past research with robots, while the most interesting and relevant part was how the internet, texting, and other technology has taken over how we actually communicate and interact with others.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Drybones wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Acts, Proverbs
      I like Proverbs...the original self-help book, not a "religious" book but rather a book to teach how to be successful in everyday life.
      The first (1:7) and last (31:30-31) proverbs are about the fear of the Lord. Some are about prayer and sacrifice.

15:8 The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD, But the prayer of the upright is His delight.
      21:27 The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination, How much more when he brings it with evil intent!
      28:9 He who turns away his ear from listening to the law, Even his prayer is an abomination.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

check your local library for a copy. If not available, they can get it via inter-library loan.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

check your local library for a copy. If not available, they can get it via inter-library loan.
      I love the interlibrary loan system, smartest thing they ever did.
    • mental note wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

At least for customer. But hey I guess that is why libraries exist.

Better utilization of resources for the customer's good, but it has to be a net loss for their income (even if they are nonprofit and just trying to break even).
    • Couple times a month I might visit the libraries round town and find a book to buy for a couple bucks. I'm always on the hunt for past areas of interest...always learnin'! The "friends of the library" is another great club/program/hobby...way of life, and I'm glad they exist!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Socks ().

• mental note wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

Do you know who invented the library system? Benjamin Franklin! That man was a genius...a wacky genius.

His biography is great...except I can't remember which one I read, it was 25 years ago.
    • mental note wrote:

Couple times a month I might visit the libraries round town and find a book to buy for a couple bucks. I'm always on the hunt for past areas of interest...always learnin'! The "friends of the library" is another great club/program/hobby...way of life, and I'm glad they exist!
      I have a lot of books and need to start downsizing. I like real, bound books, but it's so much easier to have them all on a Kindle. It's a dilemma, that's for sure.

My library has ebooks available for check-out that download to Kindle, it's very cool but there's nothing like visiting a real library and cruising the stacks.
    • mental note wrote:

Couple times a month I might visit the libraries round town and find a book to buy for a couple bucks. I'm always on the hunt for past areas of interest...always learnin'! The "friends of the library" is another great club/program/hobby...way of life, and I'm glad they exist!
      now that I'm studying herbs I check out lots of books on the topic and buy the keepers.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

Do you know who invented the library system? Benjamin Franklin! That man was a genius...a wacky genius.
      His biography is great...except I can't remember which one I read, it was 25 years ago.
      Suggest it's a good time to read another of the many available good bios of Ben. His writings are also worthy of a read. Might I suggest this one?

amazon.com/Fart-Proudly-Writin…in-Franklin/dp/1583940790

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

I have a lot of books and need to start downsizing. I like real, bound books, but it's so much easier to have them all on a Kindle. It's a dilemma, that's for sure.
      My library has ebooks available for check-out that download to Kindle, it's very cool but there's nothing like visiting a real library and cruising the stacks.
      the kindle thing would be great for a book like "on food and cooking" it comes in at 600 plus pages and weighs about 4lbs for a 1st addition and since much of it is a reference (at least for me) it would be a perfect canadate for the electronic library. The more recent addition is about 900 plus pages, Its shear size (and again the weight)...who wants to lay in a sleeping bag wrestling a huge book before bedtime, bag that.
    • Reading A Woman of No Importance, a play by Oscar Wilde.

The scene where the women talk about The Ideal Man is hilarious.

I keep rereading it and it cracks me up.

A few excerpts...

The Ideal Man should talk to us as if we were goddesses, and treat us as if we were children. He should refuse all our serious requests, and gratify every one of our whims.

He should always say much more than he means, and always mean much more than he says

If we ask him a question about anything, he should give us an answer all about ourselves. He should invariably praise us for whatever qualities we haven't got...he should shower on us everything we don't want.

...if his conduct has been quite irreproachable, and one has behaved really badly to him, he should be allowed to admit that he has been entirely in the wrong, and when he has admitted that, it becomes a woman's duty to forgive, and one can do it all over again from the beginning, with variations.

:D
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Reading A Woman of No Importance, a play by Oscar Wilde.

A few excerpts...

The Ideal Man should talk to us as if we were goddesses, and treat us as if we were children. He should refuse all our serious requests, and gratify every one of our whims.

He should always say much more than he means, and always mean much more than he says

If we ask him a question about anything, he should give us an answer all about ourselves. He should invariably praise us for whatever qualities we haven't got...he should shower on us everything we don't want.

...if his conduct has been quite irreproachable, and one has behaved really badly to him, he should be allowed to admit that he has been entirely in the wrong, and when he has admitted that, it becomes a woman's duty to forgive, and one can do it all over again from the beginning, with variations.

given mr. wilde's sexual orientation i don't think i'd pay much attention to his thots on male-female relationships.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Reading A Woman of No Importance, a play by Oscar Wilde.

A few excerpts...

given mr. wilde's sexual orientation i don't think i'd pay much attention to his thots on male-female relationships.
      I don't see the relevance of his sexual orientation. For me, the whole scene is a humorous commentary on how unreasonable women can be rather than a serious debate on the qualities that make an ideal man. I think it's rather insightful.
    • Just finished Super Crunchers: Why Thinking-by-Numbers Is the New Way to Be Smart by Ian Ayres. Interesting book about understanding big data and statistics, along with practical advice about using standard deviations. Ayres is a Yale Law professor, but spends most of his time crunching numbers like an economist. Planning to read a few more recent books on the subject area in the coming weeks.

One big takeaway is that people place too much emphasis on literacy, while ignoring the power of numeracy (and folly of innumeracy).
    • Also just before that finished The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn by Nathaniel Philbrink. I found it interesting and I give him credit for trying to cover it from multiple perspectives. Please note that 1/3 of the book is notes/bibliography/index (I just read the first 2/3 of the actual book, but nice to know the other stuff is there in case you disagree or want to learn more about it). Sometimes I believe he was a little more graphic than he needed to be (TMI).
    • The Silent War by John Craven. Great book by a great man. I can't vouch for how much someone else might enjoy, but having lived the subject matter and having the intimate knowledge that comes with such makes a great read for me. IMHO, he's the most important American that no one knows.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Foresight wrote:

The Silent War by John Craven. Great book by a great man. I can't vouch for how much someone else might enjoy, but having lived the subject matter and having the intimate knowledge that comes with such makes a great read for me. IMHO, he's the most important American that no one knows.
      Best to include his middle initial "P" so you don't mix him up with the British journalist. Tie in to the Super Crunchers book which discussed Bayesian statistics, which John P. Craven used to search for lost objects at sea. I have added this to my list since it might be a good one for my project management students to present on. We already briefly mention the Polaris and its contributions to project management.
    • Mississippi , Indianapolis, hallelujah, too
      I can read them with my eyes shut,
      That's very hard to do.
      But it's bad for my hat
      And my eyebrows get red hot,
      So reading with my eyes shut,
      I don't do an awful lot.
      Dr Suess, "I can read with my eyes shut"
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • has anyone heard of the "little free library" these are small mailboxed size independent libraries placed by homeowners in there yards out by the road or walkways for people to borrow from. I saw the first one a year or so ago about a mile from my home, and recently found one in my nieghborhood, picked up a "New York walk book" from the 70's the other day. I really like this idea and may put one out as well. The website has plans if you want to build one, or o'coarse you can make your own design.
      littlefreelibrary.org/

The post was edited 1 time, last by Socks ().

• mental note wrote:

has anyone heard of the "little free library" these are small mailboxed size independent libraries placed by homeowners in there yards out by the road or walkways for people to borrow from. I saw the first one a year or so ago about a mile from my home, and recently found one in my nieghborhood, picked up a "New York walk book" from the 70's the other day. I really like this idea and may put one out as well. The website has plans if you want to build one, or o'coarse you can make your own design.
      littlefreelibrary.org/
      Never until I hiked the AT in New England this summer. Saw them when in towns in CT and VT.
    • mental note wrote:

has anyone heard of the "little free library" these are small mailboxed size independent libraries placed by homeowners in there yards out by the road or walkways for people to borrow from. I saw the first one a year or so ago about a mile from my home, and recently found one in my nieghborhood, picked up a "New York walk book" from the 70's the other day. I really like this idea and may put one out as well. The website has plans if you want to build one, or o'coarse you can make your own design.
      littlefreelibrary.org/
      There are a ton of them in Chicago and at least one suburb, Oak Park. I don't like to walk Dakota (daughter's beagle) the same way on our walks so I end up going past about a half dozen of them when I visit. Borrowed a book for the first time on my last visit. I'm going to take some books from home and drop them off the next time.
    • mental note wrote:

littlefreelibrary.org/
      One of my teacher friends placed such a book collection point on her lawn. However she didn't register her location on the site due to security concerns. She does a brisk turnover. Couple of months ago she found a stack of older Playboy issues and was appalled. I took them off her hands. The last book I 'borrowed' was 'Code Talker' by Joseph Bruchac

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC