Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What Are You Reading?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Unfortunately, depression did run in the Lewis family. I've read the evidence, about he murder, too. Fascinating.
      (Good summary as any: smithsonianmag.com/history/mer…s-death-144006713/?no-ist)

I, frankly, don't know enough to say one way or another. But deep depression for a person who was ON only when there was adventure going is a sad tale that is common. Shackleton also suffered from depression and aimlessness when on not a journey for example.

On a side note, the HBO series is a little closer to being aired. The powers that be hired a new writer, but it is still happening.
      imdb.com/title/tt0485843/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv
    • JimBlue wrote:

Foresight wrote:

Foresight wrote:

Well I finally finished Undaunted Courage. Should've stopped shortly after they left the Nez Perce. It seemed as if the writer, Mr. Ambrose, was merely looking for things to write so he could finish the book after they reached St. Louis. Pretty boring and lacking depth and desire there at the end.
      The more I think about it the more I believe the author was influenced by his own subject. The writing mirrors the story of Lewis. Gung ho and full of fervor until the end of the expedition was upon him and then he never really even got started on the conclusion which was his journals. Lewis pretty much just went through the motions of life until he finally ended his own.
      There is some evidence that Lewis was murdered.
      @JimBlue
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Just started Jack Kerouac, On the Road.

Read a little bit of The Bluffer's Guide to Hiking this week.
      On the Road has to be one of my favorites. I just finished reading it again for maybe the 4th time back in November. Another favorite is The Dharma Bums, another Kerouac book which is another great one.Right now Im reading In the Wilderness by Charles Dudley Warner
      This is the first novel I've read by Kerouac. I like it!
      I like Jack..he can be a bit self indulgent, but I like his "spontaneous prose" writing style
      I'm not sure what to think about this book. I knew nothing about Jack Kerouac before reading it and had no idea that it is considered a work of great literary value.It was an interesting read and seems to be one of those books that would be a different experience each time you read it.My impression is that it's a story about a couple of guys traveling the US who are only interested in sex, drugs, booze, and music who left girls pregnant in every place they visited. Sort of depressing.
      seems like a waste of time reading a book about selfish assholes.
      with all the interesting books out there to read -- more than i'll get to in my lifetime -- why would i want to spend any time reading about the adventures of some loser who drank himself to death before the age of 50?
      I'm definitely not a fem nazi but was dismayed at the portrayal of women in this book.
      To cite a few examples, he describes the bruises on one girl (Camille?) from domestic violence as cavalier as describing the green grass. In one scene, he goes home with a man and says something like, 'his wife just smiled and never said a word, like all good wives should do.'

Every woman was used for sex, money, or food. Granted, it was the 50's...wasn't that the "Saran wrap" era?

Wondering if I was being overly sensitive, I googled "how women are portrayed in On the Road"... I'm not the only one. ^^

There was some good prose describing the landscape and I enjoyed the times when he was penniless and hitchhiking.
      Sounds like crap to me! Don't know why anyone would read such.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Just finished. "Thriving In Babylon" by Larry Osborne. If you are a Christian and are concerned with the way the country is going this is a great book. It talks about how Daniel coped and even thrived being a captive when the Babylonians captured Israel. Some great insight.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • Rasty wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Foresight wrote:

Foresight wrote:

Well I finally finished Undaunted Courage. Should've stopped shortly after they left the Nez Perce. It seemed as if the writer, Mr. Ambrose, was merely looking for things to write so he could finish the book after they reached St. Louis. Pretty boring and lacking depth and desire there at the end.
      The more I think about it the more I believe the author was influenced by his own subject. The writing mirrors the story of Lewis. Gung ho and full of fervor until the end of the expedition was upon him and then he never really even got started on the conclusion which was his journals. Lewis pretty much just went through the motions of life until he finally ended his own.
      @JimBlue

Who is Lewis ? I didn't post that.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • "Pick where to put your feet in order to make your steps comparatively level. Don't step down to a lower spot if you don't need to, only to have to step up again as you continue your climb up the trail. Don't step up needlessly, only to have to step down again. If you must step up on something, you don't always need to lift your whole body---just flex your legs."

Chapter 18, Faith of the Fallen, Terry Goodkind
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • JimBlue wrote:

Rasty wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Foresight wrote:

Foresight wrote:

@JimBlue
      Who is Lewis ? I didn't post that.

Weird. I do know who Lewis and Clark are. It was thought that Lewis killed himself; however, recent evidence shows he was more likely murdered. The letter sent to President Madison was probably a fake as the person who allegedly signed was 2 days ride away from where the letter writer was actually located.
      --
    • I'm in the middle of reading and re-reading everything I can get my hands on about Gettysburg. I'm going to play amateur tour guide in August for my cousin and her family, and in November or December for my lady friend. I'm semi-comfortable with my knowledge of the battle, but my memory is crap and I want to be able to do more than say, "This is the Wheatfield. People died here. Read that sign." Sure, we could pay a LBG, but however it evolved to me being the guide, it has, and I want to do it halfway decently. So my reading between now and August will be mostly Gettysburg.

Maybe I should take some notes. Hmmmm...
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Bought it (the book referenced, not the article) for myself on Kindle (haven't read it yet) and sent a hard copy to m'lady, a month or so ago. Thanks for the recommendation though! ;)
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee

The post was edited 1 time, last by Grinder ().

• I lHow to Stay Alive in the Woods, by Bradford Angier. I found it for 25 cents at a friends of the library sale.
      I Love "friends of library" sales, recently picked up "Chinese cooking for dummies" authored by Martin Yan of "Yan can cook" he's from San Fransisco area and has/had a restaurant walkin' distance from my Dads old house. Yan is a funny man!
    • TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I haven't read anything in months.
      Work is taking up all my time lately.
      I can commiserate. Between working extra, being in charge, and trying to train someone new, it's been rough. I'm getting burned out and questioning if it's worth it.
      nice avatar TJ. :thumbsup:
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Grinder wrote:

I'm in the middle of reading and re-reading everything I can get my hands on about Gettysburg. I'm going to play amateur tour guide in August for my cousin and her family, and in November or December for my lady friend. I'm semi-comfortable with my knowledge of the battle, but my memory is crap and I want to be able to do more than say, "This is the Wheatfield. People died here. Read that sign." Sure, we could pay a LBG, but however it evolved to me being the guide, it has, and I want to do it halfway decently. So my reading between now and August will be mostly Gettysburg.

Everytime I take a trip I read all I can about our destination so I can be my own amature guide. I have even considered making this a second profession except that there isn't much money in it. Maybe for retirement. A couple of years ago my wife and I were on a cruise. By the end of the trip, people I met on the ship would stop by my table in the dining room to get advice on the next days port. The scary thing I almost knew the answers. For me it just seems natural to read up on these places I visit. I sometimes start a year in advance. Next year's big trip will probably be Sweden.
    • Dan76 wrote:

"History Decoded" by Brad Metzler

Interesting and a fast read.
      Have you seen his 'Decoded' show on History channel ? He found info that Lewis of Lewis and Clark didn't commit suicide. The Army officer who wrote a letter to President Madison couldn't have investigated when the letter said he did. He was 2 days horse ride away from the Inn where Lewis was killed on the date the letter was allegedy written. The Inn keeper and his family suddenly moved after Lewis was killed, and they had come into a large mount of money. Well, large for the time.
      --
    • odd man out wrote:

Grinder wrote:

I'm in the middle of reading and re-reading everything I can get my hands on about Gettysburg. I'm going to play amateur tour guide in August for my cousin and her family, and in November or December for my lady friend. I'm semi-comfortable with my knowledge of the battle, but my memory is crap and I want to be able to do more than say, "This is the Wheatfield. People died here. Read that sign." Sure, we could pay a LBG, but however it evolved to me being the guide, it has, and I want to do it halfway decently. So my reading between now and August will be mostly Gettysburg.

Everytime I take a trip I read all I can about our destination so I can be my own amature guide. I have even considered making this a second profession except that there isn't much money in it. Maybe for retirement. A couple of years ago my wife and I were on a cruise. By the end of the trip, people I met on the ship would stop by my table in the dining room to get advice on the next days port. The scary thing I almost knew the answers. For me it just seems natural to read up on these places I visit. I sometimes start a year in advance. Next year's big trip will probably be Sweden.
      I wish is was that way, but I rarely read directions and I hate planning, I'm usually seat of the pants, and it has gotten me into trouble...but I'm still around.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Grinder wrote:

I wish is was that way, but I rarely read directions and I hate planning, I'm usually seat of the pants, and it has gotten me into trouble...but I'm still around.
      My job involves me doing detail planning for things for up to a year or longer. I guess that's one of the things I really like about hiking- I do almost no detail planning and just wing it walking along with my mind in neutral.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Grinder wrote:

My job involves me doing detail planning for things for up to a year or longer. I guess that's one of the things I really like about hiking- I do almost no detail planning and just wing it walking along with my mind in neutral.
      It sort of takes a leap of faith...and confidence that you can handle whatever happens. I think this comes with experience.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Drybones wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Grinder wrote:

Mike Tyson said, "a plan is good until you get hit the first time."
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • sheepdog wrote:

Drybones wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Grinder wrote:

Mike Tyson said, "a plan is good until you get hit the first time."
      "No plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force."

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder, Chief of Staff, Prussian Army
      Basically agree. That's why I try to have a plan B,C, and D.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Before my hike I finished a few good ones. The Innovators: How a group of hackers, genisuses, and geeks created the digital revolution by Walter Isaacson. Found it to be better than his one on Steve Jobs.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon. Really interesting background on Bezos. He is the Sam Walton of the 21st century. Wonderful for customers, brutal to his competition, and drives employees hard for success.
    • Big Data Baseball by Travis Sawchik. While I realize there is probably a more limited audience for this one. It is a fascinating story about how the Pirates turned around after 20 year of losing. Makes Moneyball look like elementary school.