Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What Are You Reading?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I subscribe to a few car mags. Two of them are published by "TENS Publishing" (The Enthusiast Network). They published something like 21 rags. Motor Trend would be the one everyone has heard of. So, 19 are being stopped. First word on the Car forums, were that they would convert to digital. But now, people are getting emails that it is all shut down, and you get all this online "Stuff" ("Jeeps & Mudding!!!","Keeping your Brand New Vette Stock!!!", "Electrical System Upgrades you can do!!!") , which looking over it is "no thanks" for me. Seems there is a number to call to get a refund. Which is "experiencing high call volume".
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork

The post was edited 1 time, last by rhjanes ().

• I noticed we have been receiving a lot of magazines we no longer subscribe to. I am pretty sure it is a marketing scheme to use the CRM data of past customers and try to get you to re-up again. When I get the invoice I just throw them away, and eventually they usually stop.
      But I am sure some people are responding, so it is worth it to them. And of course it helps them keep their circulation numbers up for their advertisers.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Just finished The Phoenix Project. It is a novel about DevOps written for Information Systems to be what The Goal by Eli Goldratt was for manufacturing.

Very interesting "if" you have a business/technical interest in that area. I know a narrow niche, but well done if that fits you.
    • I've been reading some SF, taking a break from the westerns. Currently reading Earthbound by Joe Haldeman. Read Starbound right before it. Also reading the Gabriel DuPre series by Peter Bowen. DuPrey is a Metis living in Montana in current times and helps the FBI solve crimes- so good murder mystery with comedy.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • After being a member for over 40 straight years (I joined when I was about 18) I finally let my membership with the ATC lapse. They just kept creeping the yearly dues up into the stratosphere. Could not afford it anymore. I wrote them a note saying they they would be losing valuable members this way, but I never heard back.

When I started with them many years ago I seem to remember they had a lifetime membership option for about $200? I should have grabbed that while I had the chance, but at the time I was working for the minimum wage which I believe was $2.10 / hour.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

The one car mag I still pick up once in a while is the Hemmings Motor News because I like to look at the pictures of the old 57 Chevy Bel Air's and such and dream.
      I subscribe to that one. The national want-ads fuel it. I enjoy their articles in the front. Lots of different stuff. Two of the editorial people are a hoot. A few articles I could do without (the one they do about every other issue, about dashboard designs or about old car adds).
    • Just finished this stack plus two paperbacks that I gave to my neighbor and an ebook. Our library won't let us return anything. They've worked out a system where you check them out on line, then they call you when the books are ready and you drive up and call them back. They wheel them out on a cart to you, stand back, and you take them off the cart. Not bad but I miss browsing up and down the stacks.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I’ve been checking them out online and downloading them to my kindle. But mainly, I’m listening to audiobooks that I’ve checked out from the library. Listening to them lets me to multitask and enjoy a book at the same time.

Speaking of audiobooks, I got some AirPod pros and they are awesome! Totally amazing! I went from old fashioned headphones with wire to the AirPods and can’t believe the features and the quality. I love them.

I’m mainly reading fiction right now (as usual). Just finished listening to James Patterson’s Texas Ranger which I liked.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

I’ve been checking them out online and downloading them to my kindle. But mainly, I’m listening to audiobooks that I’ve checked out from the library. Listening to them lets me to multitask and enjoy a book at the same time.

Speaking of audiobooks, I got some AirPod pros and they are awesome! Totally amazing! I went from old fashioned headphones with wire to the AirPods and can’t believe the features and the quality. I love them.

I’m mainly reading fiction right now (as usual). Just finished listening to James Patterson’s Texas Ranger which I liked.
      Is that anything like the Chuck Norris show Walker Texas Ranger?
    • Astro wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

I’ve been checking them out online and downloading them to my kindle. But mainly, I’m listening to audiobooks that I’ve checked out from the library. Listening to them lets me to multitask and enjoy a book at the same time.

Is that anything like the Chuck Norris show Walker Texas Ranger?
      It’s about a youngish Ranger who is great at his job but doesn’t always make the best decisions. I hope there will be some sequels.
    • Currently reading “Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself”. I’d like to change some things about myselfand my personal trainer recommended it. The author talks a lot about quantum physics so it’s a little over my head.

One of my favorite passages...

“Hold a clear intention of what you want, but leave the “how” details to the unpredictable quantum field. Let it orchestrate an event in your life in a way that is just right for you. If you’re going to expect anything, expect the unexpected. Surrender, trust, and let go of how a desired event will unfold.”

It reminds me of Hiker boy’s “No plan is the best plan” philosophy.

Hiker boy knows what he’s talking about!
    • Just reread the The Goal by Eli Goldratt, since my youngest son was reading it for his Operation Management class. First read it 30 years ago when I had the chance to actually meet him at one of his workshops. He was amazing in person. He would ask questions (or give you problems) and everyone would try to answer with convential wisdom, and like a magician he would reveal the real answers. Truly amazing man. Since then I have always tried to apply the Theory of Constraints, but it was good to go back to the the source. I need to find some time to read more his books.
    • I've been reading some books that my sister had. We used to vacation on the Outer Banks of North Carolina (early to mid 1970's). She had "Graveyard of the Atlantic", about all the ship wrecks along the banks. "Ocacroke" about the island of.... It was interesting to read as it was describing the island in the mid 1950's. Visions of the 1950's running thru my head reading it. No one locked their doors, etc. Now moved on to the book of the history of the Outer Banks.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Currently reading “Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself”. I’d like to change some things about myselfand my personal trainer recommended it. The author talks a lot about quantum physics so it’s a little over my head.
      Somewhere in the Multiverse there is a version of myself who is smart, handsome and successful. At least that is what I like to believe :)

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Currently reading “Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself”. I’d like to change some things about myselfand my personal trainer recommended it. The author talks a lot about quantum physics so it’s a little over my head.
      Somewhere in the Multiverse there is a version of myself who is smart, handsome and successful. At least that is what I like to believe :)
      IMScotty, based upon meeting you in person and our conversation on the trip from Boston to Hanover I would say you got at least 2 out of 3. As for the middle one, I will leave that up to your wife. :)
    • Astro wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

IMScotty, based upon meeting you in person and our conversation on the trip from Boston to Hanover I would say you got at least 2 out of 3. As for the middle one, I will leave that up to your wife. :)
      I think Meatloaf summed it up the best for me on this one... "Cause two out of three ain't bad" :)

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Just finished "Becoming Odessa" by Jennifer Pharr Davis. A good read. I noticed one little descrepency- she says the huts in The Whites had showers- I might be wrong, but I don't think they ever had showers.
      Great book, I was even able to get my wife to read it and enjoy it. :thumbup:

I stayed in nearly all of the huts, and the only shower I got was the pouring rain on the way to Zealand. :)
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Just finished "Becoming Odessa" by Jennifer Pharr Davis. A good read. I noticed one little descrepency- she says the huts in The Whites had showers- I might be wrong, but I don't think they ever had showers.
      I read that a few years ago. These days I am into science and technology non fiction. Just finished a Wright Brothers biography and my next book, Longitude, should be arriving by inter library loan today. Both are books I read before, but they are favorites I want to look at again. The next will brobably be The Mismeasure of Man by Steven Kay Gould. He was one of the best popular science writers from the last part of the 20th century. His other books, starting with Ever Since Darwin, are collections of essays about evolution, natural history, and general science. Very accessible to the non scientist, if you are interested.
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Great book, I was even able to get my wife to read it and enjoy it. :thumbup:
      I stayed in nearly all of the huts, and the only shower I got was the pouring rain on the way to Zealand. :)
      Yep. The only non rain shower I got was the shower in the basement of the Joe Dodge Lodge.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I guess she assumed that for $80 a night a shower would be a basic amenity.
      yep or maybe they had showers in 2005???
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • odd man out wrote:

I read that a few years ago. These days I am into science and technology non fiction. Just finished a Wright Brothers biography and my next book, Longitude, should be arriving by inter library loan today. Both are books I read before, but they are favorites I want to look at again. The next will brobably be The Mismeasure of Man by Steven Kay Gould. He was one of the best popular science writers from the last part of the 20th century. His other books, starting with Ever Since Darwin, are collections of essays about evolution, natural history, and general science. Very accessible to the non scientist, if you are interested.
      Love Stephen J. Gould's essays. I subscribed to Natural History Magazine for decades just to get his monthly essays delivered to my door. I disagree about them being 'very' accessible. I use to keep a dictionary at my side when reading his essays so I could look up all the words I had never heard before. That man had a vocabulary!

Two essays that stand out in my memory are one on why no MLB player will ever bat 0.400 again after Ted Williams and one on the evolution of the appearance of Disney's Mickey Mouse. Like all Gould's essays both subjects tied back to Natural Selection.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Love Stephen J. Gould's essays. I subscribed to Natural History Magazine for decades just to get his monthly essays delivered to my door. I disagree about them being 'very' accessible. I use to keep a dictionary at my side when reading his essays so I could look up all the words I had never heard before. That man had a vocabulary!

Two essays that stand out in my memory are one on why no MLB player will ever bat 0.400 again after Ted Williams and one on the evolution of the appearance of Disney's Mickey Mouse. Like all Gould's essays both subjects tied back to Natural Selection.
      Ahhh...but did he factor in the possiblity of a 60 game (or less!) season? Right now there are 4 players over .400 -- including the leader at .457 -- and this season could be over any day now. :)

espn.com/mlb/stats/player/_/view/batting
      2,000 miler
    • IMScotty wrote:

odd man out wrote:

yes I recall those essays too. I think he also used statistics to show that DiMaggio's hitting streak is the biggest outlier in baseball records.

As for being accessible, I guess it's an occupational hazzard. I willing to admit there are two types of people. Normal people and scientists.
    • Just finished "Strong Light of Day" by Jon Land. It's a series about a modern day Texas Ranger Caitlin Strong, she's a kick-ass take no prisoners kinda ranger. Lot's of good plot and action.
      Now I'm reading "Blind Courage" by Bill Irwin. Truly an inspiring story about how he turned his life around and hiked the AT while totally blind.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • odd man out wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Love Stephen J. Gould's essays. I subscribed to Natural History Magazine for decades just to get his monthly essays delivered to my door. I disagree about them being 'very' accessible. I use to keep a dictionary at my side when reading his essays so I could look up all the words I had never heard before. That man had a vocabulary!Two essays that stand out in my memory are one on why no MLB player will ever bat 0.400 again after Ted Williams and one on the evolution of the appearance of Disney's Mickey Mouse. Like all Gould's essays both subjects tied back to Natural Selection.
      yes I recall those essays too. I think he also used statistics to show that DiMaggio's hitting streak is the biggest outlier in baseball records.
      As for being accessible, I guess it's an occupational hazzard. I willing to admit there are two types of people. Normal people and scientists.
      I think Cy Young's 511 wins would be a bigger outlier. :)
      We may never see another 300 game winner. Much more likely to see more 30+ game hitting streaks.
    • I recently finished "Where the Crawdads Sing". Interesting novel. Murder mystery, coming of age, hardship. Do NOT read the ending first. I finished the book, then reread the last chapter because I was going "WHOA! Wait, What!".

I've always been "into" cars, old machinery. I have two old Mustangs and a newer one. I just finished "Go Like Hell". It's the story that the movie Ford V Ferrari was sort of based on. The book is more about Ford V Ferrari, all the drivers and such. Very interesting read and sheds more light on all the events. Also, Leo Beebe was NOT the bad guy the movie made him out to be. There are two Netfliks documentaries with the actually still living people that also is good stuff.

I've always enjoyed JPD's books. I should also reread Bill Irwins book. His was also excellent. Model-T's books are also good.
    • rhjanes wrote:

I recently finished "Where the Crawdads Sing". Interesting novel. Murder mystery, coming of age, hardship. Do NOT read the ending first. I finished the book, then reread the last chapter because I was going "WHOA! Wait, What!".

I've always been "into" cars, old machinery. I have two old Mustangs and a newer one. I just finished "Go Like Hell". It's the story that the movie Ford V Ferrari was sort of based on. The book is more about Ford V Ferrari, all the drivers and such. Very interesting read and sheds more light on all the events. Also, Leo Beebe was NOT the bad guy the movie made him out to be. There are two Netfliks documentaries with the actually still living people that also is good stuff.

I've always enjoyed JPD's books. I should also reread Bill Irwins book. His was also excellent. Model-T's books are also good.
      Just watched the movie about the Shelby mustang.
      By the way, look for a new commercial Monday afternoon from RAM. They are releasing the 2021 RAM TRX 4x4 with the Dodge Hellcat motor. 707 HP in a pickup. That's nuts.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • rhjanes wrote:

Hollywood is terrible about stuff like that. Art Howe is the nicest guy in the world and was a computer programmer before becoming a professional baseball player. The stupid character in Moneyball was 100% opposite of him. :thumbdown:
    • Astro wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Hollywood is terrible about stuff like that. Art Howe is the nicest guy in the world and was a computer programmer before becoming a professional baseball player. The stupid character in Moneyball was 100% opposite of him. :thumbdown:
      Yep. Over on the Shelby forum, someone VERY close to the movie said the script writers and artistic directors struggled with just HOW to have 100+ stories about the Shelby and Lemans victories. They chose to focus on the Ken Miles angle. Bruce Mclaren was also very instrumental in the development, from the very beginning. Even before Shelby and Miles were onboard. So him "winning" was also appropriate.
      Shelby struggled with the decision and the controversy the rest of his life.
      A month after Lemans, Miles gave an interview on Southern California radio. He said he felt bad about how it did all turn out. But then said something profound. I'll paraphrase. "Look, we ALL worked for Ford. I worked for Shelby, who worked for Ford. If Mr Ford had said we three were to turn onto the pit straightaway, park the cars and WALK back to the finish line, that's what we'd do. They paid us". He died a month later.
    • Re: Bill Irwin

I had the privilege to hear him give a talk at my small community college. Bill Irwin's hike really was amazing. Even after his talk I struggle to comprehend how he and Orient were able to complete their hike. His faith was inspirational.

John Greenleaf Whittier