Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What Are You Reading?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• nope. This show is debunking things taught in high school classes as if they were facts when it is fiction that is being taught.

I have known this for years. My university history classes informed us of myths taught as facts in high school. Like George Washington and the cherry tree being made up by someone in the 18th after Washington's death.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

the Nicaragua problem was caused by a postage stamp. A group against that nation getting the canal sent letters to all members of the US Congress saying what a great idea a Nicaragua canal was... With the volcano stamp on the letters. The politicians fell for it and turned down the idea of a Nicaragua canal.

All this was taught in my public school history classes.
      Once again, I'm gonna call bs. They had concerns for volcanos in Nicaragua, because there had been recent eruptions, not because of a stupid stamp. Maybe you got on the short bus by mistake.
      Chief is correct about the recent valcanoes at that time, and thus the stamp. It was a valid concern, and using the stamps just helped drive the point home.
      But the most important point though is that we built the thing, which was a great accomplishment that benefitted everyone and it was stupid to just give it away.

Read the book if you want to know more. :)
      It is difficult to state the USA isn't an imperialist while seizing territory that isn't our property. Borrowing it for a while gives the illusion of something else. Our history with regard to Central and South America is pretty despicable during the last 120 years.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • I'm reading "Valley of the Gun" by Ralph Cotton. A good shoot 'em western with a deadeye texas ranger. Next up "Your Money or Your Life"- not a western but a book about the trade off between making money and how you spend your time.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Dan76 wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

From Woo... I am not here to take sides. But I had no trouble finding what Jim was referencing, just poorly presented. American History unfortunately when I studied as a young man, found lots of "embarrassing stuff" left out of books back when I was in school.
      Unfortunately with Texas being the 900 lb gorilla regarding textbook sales nationally, most publishers listen intently when the Bubbas of the Texas state school board textbook selection committee object to historical, scientific, literature, and at times math textbook content. I've read US, state, and world history textbooks with woefully inadequate interpretations of primary source material. Furthermore the debate still ranges on how publishers approach climate change. As far as literature goes, several texts do not include the works of Mark Twain, Langston Hughes, or material attributed to Buddha.
      An acquaintance is considering her doctorate dissertation on revisionist history and I'm urging her to go for it.
      Elementary to High School teaches what the American History teachers Identify with today. I have seen some things in my son's American History class & books in fifth grade roughly 1999 as we sat and down together and did homework together. Some of it was clearly made up.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • LIhikers wrote:

I've discovered a new author, James Rollins.
      If you like Clancy, Cussler, or Rosenburg I think you'll like Rollins.
      My library has 2 shelves full of his books so I'll be set for quite a while.
      Just snagged the first two (I always try to give an author two chances) of his Sigma Force books. Thanks for the recommendation!

On another note, when we go to chow here, I take my Kindle and read rather than indulging in conversation with my co-workers. I can only take so much inane drivel about what video game is "fire," what stock I just HAVE TO buy, which female is the hottest/has the biggest tits/is banging which guy (there's something like a 100:1 female:male ratio here), or WORK talk, so I read. One guy invariably asks me what I'm reading. "Uhh, NOTHING at the moment because I'm being rudely interrupted by someone who doesn't even f*cking read." Anyway, I finally figured out how to shut him down. "Garry, what are you reading?" "A biography of one of America's greatest generals, military minds, and cavalry officers." "Oh, who?" "Nathan Bedford Forrest." Dude not only hasn't asked me what I'm reading since, he hasn't said one word to me. I'll take it.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Misogynist that I am, I'm already leaning toward disliking it, but every now and then we have to let the dames think they can play in the big leagues, y'know?

{{Adjusts package}}

{{Belches}}
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Fools Crow. Historical fiction about the Pikuni band of the Blackfoot tribe in the 1870s. When a writer can replicate in English the dialog of the tribe at that time, it puts you right in the middle of that culture in that period. The language slows you down. You notice everything. You see why they loved the mountains so much, like we do. Makes your heart expand.
    • The Only Rule is it Has to Work: Our Wild Experiment Building a New Kind of Baseball Team by Ben Lindbergh and Sam Miller. Two sabermetric baseball writers take over as acting General Managers (baseball operations) for an independent minor-league team, the Sonoma Stompers (in CA) in 2015. Interesting stories, some stuff works, some doesn't. Also being too successful in the low minors can also hurt you since when players are really successful they end up getting promoted (or bought by higher level teams).

Being a baseball fan who has those thoughts of if I was running a team I would do this or that, it was fun to see what happens when two guys actually get that opportunity. Probably just for baseball fans, but sort of neat to see what happens when fantasy meets reality.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

[IMG:https://i.ytimg.com/vi/stMRLU_YSgg/maxresdefault.jpg]

just got this email from amazon:

You now have a credit of $0.38 in your Amazon account. Apple Inc. (Apple) funded this credit to settle antitrust lawsuits brought by State Attorneys General and Class Plaintiffs about the price of electronic books (eBooks).

i wonder how much the attorneys got... :(
      Ha, don't spend it all in one place. I closed an account at a bank once and a month later they sent me a check for a penny because they had made a miscalculation. I didn't like the bank anymore, so I never cashed it in hopes of driving some accountant crazy.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • max.patch wrote:

[IMG:https://i.ytimg.com/vi/stMRLU_YSgg/maxresdefault.jpg]

just got this email from amazon:

You now have a credit of $0.38 in your Amazon account. Apple Inc. (Apple) funded this credit to settle antitrust lawsuits brought by State Attorneys General and Class Plaintiffs about the price of electronic books (eBooks).

i wonder how much the attorneys got... :(
      Probably a safe bet more than 38 cents.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • LIhikers wrote:

I've discovered a new author, James Rollins.
      Action, adventure and intrigue all rolled into well written fiction.
      My local library has a good number of his books so I'll be busy for a while.
      I just finished a trilogy by him and Rebecca Cantrell, the Order of the Sanguines. Not my usual fiction read, but fun for something different. Well written. Mixing mythology with intrigue. Interesting stuff.
    • Currently nearing the end of Meade and Lee After Gettysburg: The Forgotten Final State of the Gettysburg Campaign, from Falling Waters to Culpeper Court House. It's book one of a planned three parter. Generally the Gettysburg campaign is considered closed once Lee and the ANV got across the Potomac. The author's (Jeffery Hunt) intent is to take it all the way to (and I believe through) the armies arriving back at their lines facing each other across the Rappahannock.
    • Grinder wrote:

Currently nearing the end of Meade and Lee After Gettysburg: The Forgotten Final State of the Gettysburg Campaign, from Falling Waters to Culpeper Court House. It's book one of a planned three parter. Generally the Gettysburg campaign is considered closed once Lee and the ANV got across the Potomac. The author's (Jeffery Hunt) intent is to take it all the way to (and I believe through) the armies arriving back at their lines facing each other across the Rappahannock.
      a friend who was at this event sent me this...crazy people out there!

winchesterstar.com/new-cedar-c…e7-acd2-c78a6e0b18d3.html
    • uncle meat wrote:

Grinder wrote:

Currently nearing the end of Meade and Lee After Gettysburg: The Forgotten Final State of the Gettysburg Campaign, from Falling Waters to Culpeper Court House. It's book one of a planned three parter. Generally the Gettysburg campaign is considered closed once Lee and the ANV got across the Potomac. The author's (Jeffery Hunt) intent is to take it all the way to (and I believe through) the armies arriving back at their lines facing each other across the Rappahannock.
      a friend who was at this event sent me this...crazy people out there!
      winchesterstar.com/new-cedar-c…e7-acd2-c78a6e0b18d3.html
      a fake bomb for a fake battle. crazy on both sides.
    • Currently reading Dan Brown's latest in the Robert Langdon books, Origin. Snagged a book mentioned in there, What Darwin Got Wrong by Jerry Fodor, which I'll start immediately after re-reading (as it's been FOREVER) On the Origin of Species, because why read a book busting Darwin's tits without his own work being fresh in mind?