Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What Are You Reading?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

The only problem I have had with the ancestry . com dna test is it doesn't show my Native American ancestry. And yet Native Americans tell me they see such ancestry in my facial features. Oh well.
      You may be related to Elizabeth Warren.
      lol, now thats a good one. if ya don't get it -- ya need to read a newspaper once in a while.
      2,000 miler
    • meat wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

meat wrote:

Madame Currie is on TCM
      Homer Simpson has a job, thanks in part to Madame Curie.Currie Park is a golf course in Milwaukee County.

You must be watching with closed captioning turned on.
      Fun fact # 231After high school actor Bruce Willis was a security guard at Salem nuclear power plant near his home in carney's point NJ.
      Paul Newman was a big proponent of nuclear energy. He was afraid to be too vocal/visible about it due to the impact it might have on his charity work (Newman's Own brand).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

meat wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

meat wrote:

Madame Currie is on TCM
      Homer Simpson has a job, thanks in part to Madame Curie.Currie Park is a golf course in Milwaukee County.
      Fun fact # 231After high school actor Bruce Willis was a security guard at Salem nuclear power plant near his home in carney's point NJ.
      Paul Newman was a big proponent of nuclear energy. He was afraid to be too vocal/visible about it due to the impact it might have on his charity work (Newman's Own brand).
      "Newman's Own Nuclear Facility"

I have a friend who is an engineer that does consulting at nuclear plants around the country. He says that regardless of whether nuclear is the long term answer, if we had half a brain we would immediately build new, safe nuclear plants (modern designs have an exponentially lower risk of meltdown) in order to replace the dilapidated nuclear infrastructure that we currently have. They have not built a large scale nuclear plant in this country in decades and nearly all of the ones that are operating are beyond their intended lifespan.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Astro wrote:

meat wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

meat wrote:

Madame Currie is on TCM
      Homer Simpson has a job, thanks in part to Madame Curie.Currie Park is a golf course in Milwaukee County.You must be watching with closed captioning turned on.
      I have a friend who is an engineer that does consulting at nuclear plants around the country. He says that regardless of whether nuclear is the long term answer, if we had half a brain we would immediately build new, safe nuclear plants (modern designs have an exponentially lower risk of meltdown) in order to replace the dilapidated nuclear infrastructure that we currently have. They have not built a large scale nuclear plant in this country in decades and nearly all of the ones that are operating are beyond their intended lifespan.

WanderingStovie wrote:

I'm watching Freddy vs. beaver on Discovery.
      go for the balls beave, Freddys hung like gumby!
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Astro wrote:

meat wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

meat wrote:

Madame Currie is on TCM
      Homer Simpson has a job, thanks in part to Madame Curie.Currie Park is a golf course in Milwaukee County.You must be watching with closed captioning turned on.
      Yes sir yes sir, all true. The technology has been around for better than 30 years on a system that won't "melt down" and big buesiness (fossil fuel-a-copia) has lobbied it away, I guess, but here nor there...it's gonna happen, trumpty dumpty might even push for this during his reign. Our older one in the state, "Oyster creek" is slated for one more refueling shortly and then it's bye bye, that one has been operating since the 60's
    • Astro wrote:

meat wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

meat wrote:

Madame Currie is on TCM
      Didn't know that.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Newspapers are obsolete.
      i read 2 newspapers everyday.on my computer.
      I still get two of the old fashioned kind. Once my son finishes playing baseball I may quit (unless they do first).
      As former paperboy, I used to relish reading a daily paper. However sampling a variety of papers from across the world has greater appeal.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • meat wrote:

odd man out wrote:

all 32 of my great great great grandparents were born in sweden, but my DNA test came back as only 50 percent Scandinavian. The other half is Finnish and western Europe.
      I'm waitin' for my "24 and me" results to come back.
      Probably waiting because you wanting one more than the normal 23. :D
    • You've discovered the Catskills, I see!

Including the fishing. :D

When Elf and I tried for the Bushwhack Range (made Lone, Rocky, Balsam Cap, bailed on Friday), he said he was glad we didn't have you along, because we'd never have got you away from the river. Lots of skittish little wild brookies.

Easiest way to that spot is to park at the Denning Road trailhead. Take the Finger Lakes Trail (yellow) east to the terminus, and turn right on the Peekamoose-Table Trail (blue). Very quickly you'll come to a bridge over the Neversink. Past the bridge, there's a DEC campsite on your left, and the start of an unblazed fishermen's path that heads upstream, fording the river a few times. (In summer, it can be rock-hopped if your balance is better than mine. Elf managed to keep his feet dry.) Lots of holes to fish in along the way.

FLT/Peekamoose-Table/fishermen's path is an easy hike.

Burroughs Range Trail over Slide, Cornell, Wittenberg is not an easy hike. The west side of Slide is pretty moderate - it's an old jeep road for the most part. From Slide to Woodland Valley is terrain that's roughly comparable to Moosilauke or the Wildcats. Peekamoose and Table are about the same level of difficulty. The 2700-foot elevation gain from the Rondout (good fishing on some of the tributaries there, too!) to the summit of Peekamoose is surely enough to get the blood pumping.

As far as those four peaks to the south go, I'll ask Elf to tell the story. He tells it better than I do. Of the Catskill high peaks that I've done so far (33 out of 39 climbs), I'd say that Rocky was the toughest, simply because of the length of the whack needed to get there.

And - with the hiking in the Catskills, I strongly recommend the NY Long Path for LASHing. The hundred miles from Riggsville to Conesville is a jewel! hikerboy tells me that Wurtsboro to Wawarsing is also splendid. Some of the rest of the LP is pretty sucky. Getting a good trail through suburbia or farm country can just be too much of a challenge. The area near Middleburgh makes for cool day trips, though, with great views from both Vrooman's Nose and The Cliff, and a stand of 600+-year-old cedars.

And, of course, the Devil's Path may just be the toughest trail in the East.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Astro wrote:

meat wrote:

odd man out wrote:

all 32 of my great great great grandparents were born in sweden, but my DNA test came back as only 50 percent Scandinavian. The other half is Finnish and western Europe.
      Beat me to it. Maybe he's got that syndrome where the extra chromosome makes you a psychopathic killer.

blogs.unimelb.edu.au/scienceco…have-an-extra-chromosome/
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

meat wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Beat me to it. Maybe he's got that syndrome where the extra chromosome makes you a psychopathic killer.
      blogs.unimelb.edu.au/scienceco…have-an-extra-chromosome/
      Worse, I turned into a frog whenever I swallow a bug.
    • JimBlue wrote:

I bought and reading today. The Ardennes 1944 by Anthony Beevor.
      I know this area quite well having hiked and camped throughout the Ardennes. A few of my Belgian neighbors were children at the time of the campaign and recalled their experiences, including receiving chocolate bars from US soldiers once hostilities ended.

Beevor has written accounts of D-Day and the Stalingrad siege. The latter is particularly interesting as logistics problems encountered by the Germans are addressed.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • The best book on Russia vs Germany I ever read was The Tigers are Burning by Martin Caidin. That is where I learned about the Stavka. Reserve. Millions of troops and thousands of tanks Stalin pretended he didn't have. They were all just east of Stalingrad. The military commander in Stalingrad supposedly didn't know of them just a day away.

He also wrote a number of well researched books on ww2. Aircraft.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • sheepdog wrote:

The Blade Itself...Joe Abercrombie. If you like swords , intrigue, a little magic and a lot of fighting this is the book for you. Lots of adventure and great character development.
      Finally finished the series. I was forced to as my book renewal was maxed out. Overall, I liked the story but it was hard to read because of the torture and killing, especially the third book. The first book is my favorite.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Grinder wrote:

Bust Hell Wide Open: The Life of Nathan Bedford Forrest, by Samuel W. Mitcham Jr
      Great General who is often misunderstood and misrepresented today. :thumbup:

Love his approach, get there first with the most. If a fight is necessary, that has always appeared to be the best method to me.
    • Astro wrote:

Grinder wrote:

Bust Hell Wide Open: The Life of Nathan Bedford Forrest, by Samuel W. Mitcham Jr
      Love his approach, get there first with the most. If a fight is necessary, that has always appeared to be the best method to me.
      Once on a University Civil War Trip we got off the bus in Memphis to walk to the park with his statue. Policeman came up to see if we were there to protest. I believe he was relieved when we told him we were just there as admirers.
    • Astro wrote:

Grinder wrote:

I usually read at meals rather than engage in the same old conversations with co-workers. Yesterday one of the guys asked what I was reading. You could've heard a pin drop after I answered. People are idiots and believe all the pablum fed to them early in life. Funny thing is, I COULD be reading it to justify hating on him like the rest of the herd. Folks don't seem to get the idea of reading both sides of a story, or about people who were evil folks, etc. Not that I think such about Bedford Forrest for a second. One of the greatest military minds ever to put on a uniform, and with no formal training. Can you imagine what he could've done if he'd had training? Of course, outside-the-box thinker that he was, he might not have been successful in the rote recitation hivemind world of West Point in his day.

I'd love to see some alternative history writer (COME ON, Harry Turtledove!) run with the story if Bragg hadn't been such an obstruction and Forrest had been turned loose on Sherman's supply lines sooner, or if someone had seen fit to install him at a much higher level of command. Or send him east and turn him loose on the likes of that candyass martinet McClellan. Not to disparage J.E.B. Stuart in any way, because he was brilliant (if a little too glory-conscious) in his own right, but he wasn't a patch on the Wizard of the Saddle.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee