Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What Are You Reading?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• odd man out wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Anything by Stephen J. Gould is worth a read. I miss his monthly essays in Natural History Magazine very much.
      I have his published collections of those essays. ever Since Darwin, The Panda's Thumb, and Hens Teeth and Horses Toes.
      Make sure you pick up "The Flamingo's Smile" too.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • For the first time since the pandemic started I went to the library and got a book to read.the title is The Persian Gamble and the author is Joel C. Rosenberg. I read a couple of his books years s few years ago and enjoyed them and this one is not a disappointment. The book is an action and adventure fiction story. A little bit it reminds me of a Tom Clancy story.
    • max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Now I'm reading "Blind Courage" by Bill Irwin. Truly an inspiring story about how he turned his life around and hiked the AT while totally blind.
      Bill Irwin and Orient ATC picture, 1990.
      athikerpictures.org/photos/1004
      I thought I remembered seeing him knee pads in a picture one time. You can see he is a banged up there. I am sure it was rough on him with his limited vision, especially as it got rockier going further north.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Kathy and I used to have that book and the movie too. At the time we were raising puppies for The Guide Dog Foundatio For The Blind and lent them both the book and movie as some of their clients were inspired by the story. Never got either back and figured since we were done with them we'd just let them keep them.
    • Bill Irwin completing that hike as a blind man seems incomprehensible to me.

He came to my school years ago to give a talk to a classroom of students. I am so lucky I heard about it and attended. He was inspirational. He covered not just the Appalachian Trail, but also his battle towards sobriety. He attributed his success at completing both journeys to his faith, and the power of God.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • lol, for some reason Amazon recommended this book to me. "The Hike" $5 digital, $15 dead trees.

Four hikers enter the mountains. Only two return. But is it tragedy? Or treachery?
      When sisters Cat and Ginny travel with their husbands to the idyllic Swiss Alps for a hiking holiday, it’s not just a chance to take in the stunning scenery. It’s an opportunity to reconnect with each other after years of drifting apart—and patch up marriages that are straining at the seams.
      As they head into the mountains, morale is high, but as the terrain turns treacherous, cracks in the relationships start to show. With worrying signs that someone might be following them, the sun begins to set and exhaustion kicks in. Suddenly, lost high on a terrifying ridge, tensions spill over—with disastrous consequences.
      When only two of the four hikers make it down from the mountain, the police press them for their story—but soon become suspicious when their accounts just don’t add up.
      What really happened up on that ridge? Who are the survivors? And what secrets are they trying to hide?
      2,000 miler
    • As long as I'm in this thread, I've been reading my digital books on a 10 year old Kindle Fire version 2 (I think they're up to version 10.) I caught a sale last week and picked up a new Paperwhite. One benefit I'm interested in is that this e-ink reader emits much less blue light which affects our sleeping. If I decide to get another tablet it won't be another Amazon Fire with their crappy Silk browser.
      2,000 miler
    • The Bomber Mafia by Malcolm Gladwell.

Excellent book about Curtis LeMay and Air Force in Word War 2. Actually Army Air Corp at the time, and includes interesting time between WW 1 and 2. I often totally disagree with his conclusions, but Gladwell is a great researcher and an excellent story teller. One of the best keynote speakers I have ever heard at a conference.
    • Just finished a great book by Chris Hillman, Tme Between: My Life as a Byrd, Burrito Brother, and Beyond.

Covers over 60 years of the grear bands he helped create and be a part of. Bandmates include Bernie Leadon multiple times, Vern Gosden, Jim/Roger McGuinn, David Crosby Stephen Stills, Doug Dillard, JD Souther, Herb Pederson.
    • Astro wrote:

Just finished a great book by Chris Hillman, Tme Between: My Life as a Byrd, Burrito Brother, and Beyond.

Covers over 60 years of the grear bands he helped create and be a part of. Bandmates include Bernie Leadon multiple times, Vern Gosden, Jim/Roger McGuinn, David Crosby Stephen Stills, Doug Dillard, JD Souther, Herb Pederson.
      Also provides interesting information about how the music industry works. Also too many stories in the musical industry trend towards tragedy, and nice to read one with a happy ending and somone who really enjoys his family and grandchildren like "us regular folks".
    • Astro wrote:

Just finished a great book by Chris Hillman, Tme Between: My Life as a Byrd, Burrito Brother, and Beyond.

A great talent. He was also in a band in the 1970s called Souther Hillman and Furay, where hopes were that the group would become a so called super group, but the band never gained any traction. In addition to JD Souther, he played with Richie Furay, from Poco/Buffalo Springfield fame. I saw the play a few times before they broke up after releasing their second album.

This is one of Hillman's offerings from the first album.

its all good
    • I'm reading a really interesting book titled Packing For Mars, by Mary Rosch. It's about the concessions that have to be made when a space flight is going to include people. There's a chapter all about hygiene and body odor that pretty well explains hiker funk. It's well written and very interesting. It brings up things that I never would have thought of.
    • LIhikers wrote:

I'm reading a really interesting book titled Packing For Mars, by Mary Rosch. It's about the concessions that have to be made when a space flight is going to include people. There's a chapter all about hygiene and body odor that pretty well explains hiker funk. It's well written and very interesting. It brings up things that I never would have thought of.
      That looks like an interesting book. Amazon has the first 2 chapters available to read for free. Getting the flag to the moon was a lot more difficult than you'd imagine.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I'm reading a really interesting book titled Packing For Mars, by Mary Rosch. It's about the concessions that have to be made when a space flight is going to include people. There's a chapter all about hygiene and body odor that pretty well explains hiker funk. It's well written and very interesting. It brings up things that I never would have thought of.
      That looks like an interesting book. Amazon has the first 2 chapters available to read for free. Getting the flag to the moon was a lot more difficult than you'd imagine.
      But with lots of side benefits in technology advances such as freeze dried foods, cordless tools, memory foam, nerf, tang, etc.. :)
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

But with lots of side benefits in technology advances such as freeze dried foods, cordless tools, memory foam, nerf, tang, etc.. :)
      Tang made with hot water and just a pinch of cinnamon makes a tasty winter drink.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Tang made with hot water and just a pinch of cinnamon makes a tasty winter drink.
      I used to drink orange juice every morning, so on my thru I made Tang every morning and -- as you said -- hot occasionally at night mixed with tea. Haven't had it in years.
      2,000 miler
    • LIhikers wrote:

I stopped reading the newspaper years ago because I didn't have the time. Now that I'm retired maybe I should reconsider.
      I stopped reading the paper when I lived in Harrisburg PA because the editor had an unapologetic lean in one direction. A friend was interviewed for a story and his words were twisted so much that he swore they were quoting someone else.

My SW Ohio newspaper is much more balanced. With the Sunday paper delivery, I get access to the daily digital editions and make time to read every day.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • The most important thing we can all do is to support our small town papers. They are on hard times.

At the local level the ugliness of national politics usually fades away to the important stuff, recording the heartbreaks and achievements of our friends and neighbors.

My suburban town paper is just a shell of its former self. A single
      woman acts as writer, photographer, and editor to put it out every week. Yet it still publishes the vital news I can get no where else.

I also subscribe to the Coos County Democrat so I can keep up with the news of my beloved North Country (NH).

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • While the internet overall has hurt major newspapers, Facebook and other social media have hurt the locals more.

I used to read a major city/state paper (Dallas, Houston, and eventually Little Rock), local paper, and the Wall Street Journal everyday. Now with so much available online I sometimes struggle to just read the weekly WSJ print version and cut back on how many of their online articles I read during the week. Plus I have bought hundreds of books I still have not finished. I know I could live into my 90s and have plenty of time, but on the other hand I might not. :rolleyes:
    • Currently reading Sir Fob W. Pot's Journey to Katahdin, Volume 1 by Steve Johnson. Good sense of humor by a retired Air Force Colonel who thru hiked the AT in 2016. Already ordered Volume 2 for the second half of the journey.
    • Astro wrote:

Currently reading Sir Fob W. Pot's Journey to Katahdin, Volume 1 by Steve Johnson. Good sense of humor by a retired Air Force Colonel who thru hiked the AT in 2016. Already ordered Volume 2 for the second half of the journey.
      Good books. He is on Facebook also. I don't see many posts but he is often doing speaking engagements at churches.

I still read the Dallas Morning News.

I'm re-reading Andrew McCarthy's "Walking With Sam" about being on the Camino. He still acts but directs more. And writes for National Geographic. It's a decent book. There are places where he could have linked the fellow peregrino's together for me. He also walked the Camino some 25 years ago.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • rhjanes wrote:

Astro wrote:

Currently reading Sir Fob W. Pot's Journey to Katahdin, Volume 1 by Steve Johnson. Good sense of humor by a retired Air Force Colonel who thru hiked the AT in 2016. Already ordered Volume 2 for the second half of the journey.
      Good books. He is on Facebook also. I don't see many posts but he is often doing speaking engagements at churches.
      I still read the Dallas Morning News.

I'm re-reading Andrew McCarthy's "Walking With Sam" about being on the Camino. He still acts but directs more. And writes for National Geographic. It's a decent book. There are places where he could have linked the fellow peregrino's together for me. He also walked the Camino some 25 years ago.
      When watching Royal Pains with my sons a few years back, I said hey that guy was one of the brat pack.
    • Astro wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Astro wrote:

Good books. He is on Facebook also. I don't see many posts but he is often doing speaking engagements at churches.I still read the Dallas Morning News.

When watching Royal Pains with my sons a few years back, I said hey that guy was one of the brat pack.
      One of his books is called "Brat". In WWS, he has some notes along the lines of "I was listed in the B-Pack, because I made some movies with some of them". And "I've not been in contact with some in years".
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

I just finished The Violin Conspiracy by Brendan Slocumb and loved it. It’s fiction but highlights the racism and lack of diversity in classical music. Can’t wait to read his next book.
      My wife read that book and also liked it. I have a close friend (1st violinist in my High School String Quartet) who is a professional violinist and music educator in the DC area where Slocumb is from and knows about his story (DC area violin educators is a small community). While the book is fictional it is inspired by his own life experiences.