Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

maine sobo

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Katahdin also doesn't close for the winter. It closes for the ice season, when it's both unsafe and damaging to climb it. Once there's a stable snowpack, it's open for winter climbing. It used to be that the rangers wanted a climbing résumé before they'd let you start. They wanted to see that you had solid experience above treeline in winter. I don't know what the current policy is. But it's surely not a good place to begin getting winter mountaineering experience!
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • hikerboy wrote:

finally home after 9 hours of driving yesterday.we had great weather the entire week except for friday, cold and wet. we camped alone the first 3 nights, ran into around 30 nobos in the course of the week, hurrying to hit katahdin before the park closes.the foliage was just starting to turn when we started and was at full peak by the end of the trip. we stayed in monson at lakeshore house saturday night, and drove home yesterday.great trip, great weather, great company.
      i'll post a complete trip report as i get the chance.

Beautiful pic! Glad you had such awesome weather up there!

hikerboy wrote:

part of the joy of being a blue blazer is i keep my goals fluid, so that i never have to worry about miles.
      in maine i planned lo mileage days from the outset, with an alternative plan to hike to monson if we were speeding along.one car at monson, one at gulf hagas/

it blew violet away the second day out when we got to a pretty site around 8 miles for the day; violet was inclined to keep going as it was 3:30 with plenty of daylight left. i asked why leave such a beautiful site, and her eyes were opened by the non-necessity of making miles, to the freedom of blue blazing.
      no kidding. It's one thing thru hiking kind of forces out of you, especially when you get late into the season like this. Gotta make the miles. Never say never, but that's one reason I'll never (lol) thru hike an entire trail again. Will be a lifelong LASHER after this (long ass section hiker).
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.