Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

NewApril

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Self discovery. I have been on a journey to discover who I am and what I am. Over the past year I have realized that I have a passion for discovering nature. It has always been inside of me however I allowed the opinions of others about who I was and what I was to overpower my own passions. Now, I am ready for my own journey. I have decided that I will experience the AT. I am going to begin this journey on Saturday July 24,2015 by hiking from Stecoah to Yellow Creek Gap in WNC. I am excited but apprehensive. Any thoughts?
    • NewApril wrote:

Self discovery. I have been on a journey to discover who I am and what I am. Over the past year I have realized that I have a passion for discovering nature. It has always been inside of me however I allowed the opinions of others about who I was and what I was to overpower my own passions. Now, I am ready for my own journey. I have decided that I will experience the AT. I am going to begin this journey on Saturday July 24,2015 by hiking from Stecoah to Yellow Creek Gap in WNC. I am excited but apprehensive. Any thoughts?
      If anyone tries telling you that you can't do it or won't make it or it's not safe tell 'em to go piss up a rope.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Welcome.
      The first hike is discovery.
      Usually the first thing you discover is the limits of your body. Nature you become more aware of after you reach the point your body is no longer screaming at you.
      Stecoah area is very nice. The section of the AT from there to Damascus I found very pleasant but I am not knowledgeable of that area at that time of year.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • welcome to the cafe.
      keep in mind, for the most part its just walking in the woods.the appalachian trail has a diverse(mostly white apparently) community that is consistently supportive. although during the day, you may not see anyone on the trail, at night you will generally find a group of like minded people to socialize with near the shleters and campsites.
      finding gear that is right for you is usually an evolution of trail and error, but we've got a number of self-proclaimed experts in opposing opinions to help guide you in gear selection and trip planning.
      if you need help in a specific area, just ask us.
      its all good
    • Welcome to the Cafe!

Take notes (mental, or otherwise) about what works and what doesn't work for you... Makes it easier to remember for the next trip. :)

What works for someone else, might not work for you. It's okay to do things your way! You are the one who has to carry the pack (and everything in it), so your decision of what you want to bring will always be the most important.

Take your time and enjoy the hike!

Take pictures if that is how you like to remember things.

Meet new people - there are lots of fascinating stories out there

Don't forget to hydrate!
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
    • Welcome to the funny farm. Much as we like to run off at da mouth, we also share a common thread of a love for the out of doors. Finding your own way of doing things comes in time, I'm em sous of your freshness and zeal, brings back fond memories of sucking up info like a sponge...a long long time ago, have fun onyour journey