Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Curious

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• While we've heard about violence on the trails, we've never experienced it.
      In fact, just the opposite, we've come across some incredibly nice people while out hiking.
      I think I've read that statistically you're less likely to encounter problems with other people, while on the AT than in an average town in America. I wish I could cite a source for that, but I can't right now.

The post was edited 1 time, last by LIhikers ().

• This sort of question seems to be one that elicits the belief that the AT Iis a den of scum and villiany or nothing but peace and love hippies.

The reality is that within the US violent crime has fallen from its peak in the early 1990s to its lowest rate since the 1940s.

The great majority of victims of violent crime in the US are infact men.

There have been murders and other violent crimes that have happened on the trail, but when one considers the number of people that actually hike and camp along the AT and its side trails, the rate of crime on the trail is pretty minuscule.

Drug/alcohol easily turn hikers into idiots.

My personal belief is that women are more likely to have to deal with certain behaviors that may cause discomfort if not arise to a level of harassment. Usually some guy that thinks because you smiled at him, or were in some way nice to him, that clearly you have an interest in him.

On my last trip a young lady had no issue setting up camp where myself and two companions were already camped, but she had hoofed it out of Damascus to get ahead of some guy that tried to latch onto her.

Regardless, be vigilant and situationally aware.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • I've been on 4 backpacking trips on the AT and also some day hikes and have hiked over 225 miles on the AT. I have not experienced nor witnessed any violence on the AT. Before I went on my longest backpacking trip (110 miles), my husband gave me some kind of spray (bear spray, I think) for protection but never needed to use it on any kind of animal, 2 legged or 4 legged. I feel safe on the AT and met many friendly people. Only met one guy who was off but he seemed to be more of a danger to himself.
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

This sort of question seems to be one that elicits the belief that the AT Iis a den of scum and villiany or nothing but peace and love hippies.

The reality is that within the US violent crime has fallen from its peak in the early 1990s to its lowest rate since the 1940s.

The great majority of victims of violent crime in the US are infact men.

There have been murders and other violent crimes that have happened on the trail, but when one considers the number of people that actually hike and camp along the AT and its side trails, the rate of crime on the trail is pretty minuscule.

Drug/alcohol easily turn hikers into idiots.

My personal belief is that women are more likely to have to deal with certain behaviors that may cause discomfort if not arise to a level of harassment. Usually some guy that thinks because you smiled at him, or were in some way nice to him, that clearly you have an interest in him.

On my last trip a young lady had no issue setting up camp where myself and two companions were already camped, but she had hoofed it out of Damascus to get ahead of some guy that tried to latch onto her.

Regardless, be vigilant and situationally aware.
      1. Thank you for your reply. I wasn't trying to make this post into a full of violence on the trails or peace and love. I come from an area where women usually need to be more vigilant of their surroundings then in the countryside. I am just asking experienced hikers what they've encountered. I know to be safe and cautious but if there Is anything out there that is not known to inexperienced hikers id like to plan for the unknown (to me).
    • I have never encountered violence on the trail but I once stayed at a shelter with two guys who kept arguing and nearly got in a fist fight. That was uncomfortable.

It's rare, but you can encounter a hiker who is homeless (more so than the average thru hiker) and living on the trail. Usually you can tell if they aren't your typical hiker (clothing, speech, gear) and adjust your plans if they make you uncomfortable. I met a hiker once who wasn't thinking logically, kept firing questions at me, yet wouldn't answer any of my questions. He is the only hiker I've met in 5-6 yrs. who made me nervous.

I carry pepper spray, don't hang around road crossings, and don't camp near roads.
      Lost in the right direction.