Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

SNP

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• We are looking at doing 25-30 miles in the park at the end of sept or the beginning of oct. We're looking at only doing around 6 miles per day.

What would be the most scenic section we could do?

What would be the easiest section? (This is more of a relaxing hike)

Can you park at the pull offs and park for a few nights or do you have to use a backcountry parking area?

We are planning on paddling the roanoak River by the coast for 4 nights right before or after this hike. So, I got to thinking maybe just paddling the Shenadoah river. .... Aqua questions will be next.
    • Dmax, a lot good info can be found here: nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

Most scenic...hmmm... sobo from Thorton Gap you can take a .2 side trail at the top of the first climb to Mary's Rock ( I am standing on it in my Avatar, it's similar to McAfee or HumpBack Rocks). Some decent views south of Loft Mountain too- Black Rock. Also some views right at Big Measdows and Old Rag is nearby but not on the AT.

The whole park is easy to moderate.

I would not park at the pull=offs. There are plenty of designated parking areas at gaps, where the trail crosses the Skyline Drive and you can park at the Waysides. Be sure and get a Back Country Permit when you enter, they are free.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Dmax wrote:

Is there any waterfalls on this section?
      There are waterfalls located on a blue blaze trail on the east side of the AT about 1 mile south on the AT from Loft Mountain Campground. About a mile down the blue blaze trail- Jones Run Falls, also Doyles Falls see this link for more info: nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/waterfalls.htm
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • TrafficJam wrote:

How is cell service in SNP? I had it when I hiked SOBO from Rockfish Gap this winter but what about NOBO from Rockfish Gap?
      There is little to no cell phone service once you get near Loft Mountain ( and I have Verizon). There is a spot south of Big Meadows, between there and Milam Gap where I have had a bar or two.North of Big Meadows nothing all the way to and including Elk Wallow Wayside. I cannot say what happens north of Elk Wallow as I have not done that section, but I would imagine that you would service as you get closer to Front Royal.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

How is cell service in SNP? I had it when I hiked SOBO from Rockfish Gap this winter but what about NOBO from Rockfish Gap?
      There is little to no cell phone service once you get near Loft Mountain ( and I have Verizon). There is a spot south of Big Meadows, between there and Milam Gap where I have had a bar or two.North of Big Meadows nothing all the way to and including Elk Wallow Wayside. I cannot say what happens north of Elk Wallow as I have not done that section, but I would imagine that you would service as you get closer to Front Royal.
      I was wondering about the area between Rockfish Gap and Hightop Hut.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • If you have Verizon you should have some service between Rockfish Gap and Hightop Hut. You will be more likely to have service when you are on the Waynesboro (west) side of the ridge. Once you get to Loft Mountain you will have no service.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • There are poles at all of the shelters and all of the shelters that I have seen have camp sites- some are very nice level pads with little signs like "Site 1" etc. Bring some line if you think you might stealth. There's a chance I might be up there next weekend with my grandson, when are you thinking about going?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

There are poles at all of the shelters and all of the shelters that I have seen have camp sites- some are very nice level pads with little signs like "Site 1" etc. Bring some line if you think you might stealth. There's a chance I might be up there next weekend with my grandson, when are you thinking about going?
      If I can get my act together, next week. Plans are still evolving.
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Traffic Jam ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

There are poles at all of the shelters and all of the shelters that I have seen have camp sites- some are very nice level pads with little signs like "Site 1" etc. Bring some line if you think you might stealth. There's a chance I might be up there next weekend with my grandson, when are you thinking about going?
      If I can get my act together, next week. Plans are still evolving.
      That's a good time to go, you'll miss the weekenders and most of the day hikers. I'm going to hopefully take him hiking 7/18 or 7/19. My foot is finally 95% :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().