Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

4th of July

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 4th of July

Is anyone hitting the trail for the weekend? I've gone out a few times during the forth. Been a few times to the roan and last year we car camped at beauty spot. They say on these blogs not to camp up there because of locals. ... Good thing I'm a local,, and loco,, lol. Last year there was 5 groups of campers up there for the night. No problems except seeing the fireworks. I never have found a good mountain for that. You can see them from up there, but your too high. They look like little bottle rockets from up there. Even though we can't see them, the wife and I are planning on camping up there again this year.
      We camped last weekend at little Stoney on Watauga lake last weekend. My wife loves camping there. If we can get a spot by the water we can have our kayaks in the water right by us and not have to take them out each night. The down side is I have to carry more guns than I have to carry for beauty spot. But alls good in the end.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

My daughter, her boyfriend, and his parents are coming for the weekend. We're cycling 33 miles. I'm expecting an announcement. He's a good guy but I'm not ready for this.
      Yeah, it can be a scary sign when they travel as a pack! Practice your "happy for you" face between now and then... ;) Good luck!

I will be staying home and making sure idiots don't burn down the woods/my house with their fireworks.
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
    • Trebor wrote:

No hiking or camping for me, way too crowded on holiday weekends for my preference. Instead I'll be smoking a pork butt and drinking a few beers. Maybe take the boat to the lake for a while.
      Aren't they hard to light? How does one hold a lit pork butt to smoke it? I am guessing the few beers must be occurring BEFORE one goes to smoke the the pork butt... =O
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
    • WaterRat wrote:

Trebor wrote:

No hiking or camping for me, way too crowded on holiday weekends for my preference. Instead I'll be smoking a pork butt and drinking a few beers. Maybe take the boat to the lake for a while.
      Aren't they hard to light? How does one hold a lit pork butt to smoke it? I am guessing the few beers must be occurring BEFORE one goes to smoke the the pork butt... =O
      It's 5,215 times safer than marijuana.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

Trebor wrote:

And just where did you come up with these numbers. We gotta have proof.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

Drybones wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

Trebor wrote:

actually , no its not:nutritiondata.self.com/facts/pork-products/2171/2
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

Drybones wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

Trebor wrote:

But it satisfies the munchies when you smoke it.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

Drybones wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

Trebor wrote:

But it satisfies the munchies when you smoke it.
      I didn't inhale.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

Drybones wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Same people that said eggs are bad for you?
      Same people that said eggs are good for you?

Bad for you?
      Good for you?

I can't remember which way it is this week.

Fatty meat is not bad for you. Overeating is bad for you. A human body was designed to consume fatty tissue. It just wasn't designed to eat 2 times your caloric needs every day.

They also did the nutritional analysis on raw pork shoulder which is 25% fat. Cooked pork shoulder has around 10% fat. I can't remember the last time I ate raw pork shoulder. It was probably at least six years ago when I was making sausage frequently.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

Drybones wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Same people that said eggs are bad for you?Same people that said eggs are good for you?

Bad for you?
      Good for you?

Fatty meat is not bad for you. Overeating is bad for you. A human body was designed to consume fatty tissue. It just wasn't designed to eat 2 times your caloric needs every day.

They also did the nutritional analysis on raw pork shoulder which is 25% fat. Cooked pork shoulder has around 10% fat. I can't remember the last time I ate raw pork shoulder. It was probably at least six years ago when I was making sausage frequently.
      if you're comparing which is healthier, pot wins again.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

Drybones wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Same people that said eggs are bad for you?Same people that said eggs are good for you?
      Bad for you?
      Good for you?

Wrong. Try living off pot alone, then try living off pork alone. Pork will win hands down.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

Drybones wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Same people that said eggs are bad for you?Same people that said eggs are good for you?Bad for you?
      Good for you?

Wrong. Try living off pot alone, then try living off pork alone. Pork will win hands down.
      you're very argumentative with me today.
      try a brownie.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

Drybones wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Same people that said eggs are bad for you?Same people that said eggs are good for you?Bad for you?Good for you?

you're very argumentative with me today.try a brownie.
      I can't help it when your wrong.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

Drybones wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Same people that said eggs are bad for you?Same people that said eggs are good for you?Bad for you?Good for you?

I can't help it when your wrong.
      i know you are but what am i? :?:
      its all good
    • If they let the pigs roam people will complain about the smell everywhere and their will be greater disease because of Trichinosis. These mega farms have been the cure for Trichinosis for the most part. I love how some people complain about everything but offer zero solutions. The process that Smithfield and Hormel use is the most economic and environmentally friendly process currently available. The old method of small slop pens would be a disaster and every river in the Southeast would be polluted.

Is anyone her going to stop eating pork, beef, chicken, turkey, corn, wheat, etc because of the supposed environmental disaster that each one creates for someone? I live 20 miles from these farms and this is a non-issue for the most part. The Cape Fear river is the cleanest it has been in the last 100 years. The last major problem was during Hurricane Floyd in 1999 which flooded the eastern side of North Carolina. We lost millions of animals (Hogs, Turkey and Chickens) in these floods.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

Drybones wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

Trebor wrote:

I thought you liked a good argument, HB. ^^
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

Drybones wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

Trebor wrote:

after my brownie, i lost my appetite for arguing
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

Drybones wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Same people that said eggs are bad for you?Same people that said eggs are good for you?Bad for you?Good for you?I can't remember which way it is this week.

after my brownie, i lost my appetite for arguing
      You'ns call that an arguement...Sheeet. :D