Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Insect protection with Sansbug shelter

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I know of a couple of B/Scouts whom react badly to insect bites. Their moms treated their clothing with pyrithuim which helps during the day. However twilight hours are tough on them as insecticides are not wanted by parents. I don't mention the clouds of DEET laced insecticides unleashed nightly by the other campers.

I was looking at this product to reassure the parents so they'd allow the boys to attend scout camp this summer. They've already missed a few great opportunities this spring.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • At night the only biting bug I have a problem with are moquitos, skin-so-soft will keep them away...and give you wonderfully soft skin... is a little oily and has a sweet smell, I use it while fishing, wouldn't want my sleeping bag smelling like it though.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

At night the only biting bug I have a problem with are moquitos, skin-so-soft will keep them away...and give you wonderfully soft skin... is a little oily and has a sweet smell, I use it while fishing, wouldn't want my sleeping bag smelling like it though.
      Is this the Avon product? I used to use SsS when camping in East Texas but the second bottle I bought didn't seem as effective. I didn't try a third but perhaps I should've as the Avon rep was cute.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Drybones wrote:

At night the only biting bug I have a problem with are moquitos, skin-so-soft will keep them away...and give you wonderfully soft skin... is a little oily and has a sweet smell, I use it while fishing, wouldn't want my sleeping bag smelling like it though.
      they sell a boatload of that stuff in st. marys, ga to people about to take the ferry to cumberland island for the gnats. all the stores sell it.
      2,000 miler
    • according to tests, its not supposed to work very well

snopes.com/oldwives/skeeters.asp

"Mark Fradin and Jonathan Day of the University of Florida tested 17 nationally marketed mosquito repelling products under laboratory conditions. They asked 15 volunteers to stick a forearm coated with repellent into a cage containing 10 mosquitoes and observed how much time

elapsed before the first bite. Products containing DEET repelled best, and the more DEET they contained, the better they worked. Off! Deep Woods, which contains 23.8 percent DEET, provided the longest-lasting protection: 302 minutes on average. By contrast, Avon Skin-So-Soft Bath Oil failed after 9.6 minutes, on average.

For decades rumor has held that Skin-So-Soft Bath Oil is an effective counter to mosquitoes, yet a 1993 Consumer Reports analysis found it ineffective for that purpose. Because so many people were buying the product for its purported mosquito combating properties, in 1994 Avon added a non-DEET repellent and a sunscreen to the popular bath oil and began marketing the new concoction as Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Repellent. Avon disputes the 2002 results posted in the New England Journal of Medicine study, claiming its Bug Guard Repellent works for three hours, not the 10.3 minutes for its Bug Guard Repellent and the 22.9 minutes for its Bug Guard Repellent Plus the study found, but a 2003 Consumer Reports analysis found the Skin-So-Soft repellent deterred mosquitoes for only one hour.
      its all good
    • Dan 76

Although I am looking at pictures the tents that came before it are the same - I had one some 8+ years ago Carbon Fiber Poles in a large circle Very little mesh on the early ones and some issues with condensation back then too. - Yes they fold flat - its not a bag, kind of neat - but there is an odd note.

IF you store them flat for a long time... they are useless. They need to be stored open. IF you fold it once wrong it is over, the carbon will snap. But the amazement with family members on an overnight-er - priceless.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Dan76 wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Is this the Avon product? I used to use SsS when camping in East Texas but the second bottle I bought didn't seem as effective. I didn't try a third but perhaps I should've as the Avon rep was cute.
      That'd be enough to make me try it again.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Drybones wrote:

That'd be enough to make me try it again.
      She doesn't hike, backpack or take long walks... unless its a Mall.

Uh OKAY I AM KIDDING... read on... :D
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • socks wrote:

Maybe someone handy could come up with a electrified head net like a bug zapper. That and a slow ride through a meadow at dusk on a bycyle would be da bomb, What a light show.
      until the wearer sneezed.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC