Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Global warming is a farce

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The better term is climate change.
      The whole of Europe could slide into a significantly colder climate and the planet as a whole would still be warming.
      The amount of ice melting in Greenland alone would more than offset that.
      The ice at the poles is reducing alarmingly.
      Severe weather "events", hotter and colder, are increasing all over the world.
      Island nation in the Pacific and Indian Oceans are genuinely beginning to face the reality they may disappear. It is not just ocean level rise so the ocean doesn't have to rise 5 metres to make the land under 5 metres above sea level to disappear. They are realising that quite small overall changes make significant inroads with storms etc.
      Don't doubt it.
      We are f###ing the planet.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

The better term is climate change.
      The whole of Europe could slide into a significantly colder climate and the planet as a whole would still be warming.
      The amount of ice melting in Greenland alone would more than offset that.
      The ice at the poles is reducing alarmingly.
      Severe weather "events", hotter and colder, are increasing all over the world.
      Island nation in the Pacific and Indian Oceans are genuinely beginning to face the reality they may disappear. It is not just ocean level rise so the ocean doesn't have to rise 5 metres to make the land under 5 metres above sea level to disappear. They are realising that quite small overall changes make significant inroads with storms etc.
      Don't doubt it.
      We are f###ing the planet.
      "the planets doing just fine, its the people who are f**ed"- george carlin
      its all good
    • Last I read about it, the "Little Ice Age" was mostly likely caused by a period of high volcanic activity that filled the atmosphere with ash and pollutants which blocked the suns rays.

As for climate change, I'll listen to the 97% of climate scientists who believe the evidence available shows that human activity is producing accelerated climate change. If you prefer to believe an article you found in a conservative UK tabloid instead, then so be it.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sarcasmtheelf ().

• How Much Do Health Impacts From Fossil Fuel Electricity Cost The U.S. Economy?

How much would electricity cost in the United States if the retail price reflected the health impacts of burning fossil fuels? A paper recently published by researchers at the Environmental Protection Agency finds that accounting for such costs would add an average of 14 to 35 cents per kilowatt-hour to the retail cost of electricity. Nationwide, these hidden health costs add up to as much as $886.5 billion annually, or 6% of GDP.

Full article:
      forbes.com/sites/justingerdes/…ity-cost-the-u-s-economy/
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

How Much Do Health Impacts From Fossil Fuel Electricity Cost The U.S. Economy?

How much would electricity cost in the United States if the retail price reflected the health impacts of burning fossil fuels? A paper recently published by researchers at the Environmental Protection Agency finds that accounting for such costs would add an average of 14 to 35 cents per kilowatt-hour to the retail cost of electricity. Nationwide, these hidden health costs add up to as much as $886.5 billion annually, or 6% of GDP.

Full article:
      forbes.com/sites/justingerdes/…ity-cost-the-u-s-economy/
      Please consider this. Obama killed coal production and hurt the unions here in PA. Coal is the cheapest gasification to electricity on the planet and still blows solar to hell. Most or almost all surviving coal plants have scrubbers on their stacks to remove sulfur and other nastiness, Mother nature pumps out more particulate today. The conversation is moot. China doesn't give a damn and continues to move forward with coal. Hense they cannot see across the street in Beijing.

Big thank you for quoting Forbes shows insight.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Think about it, the Sun is 8 million miles away, has continual turbulence and storms, and we think the Earth should stay a continual temperature as if we had a thermostat....it totally blows my mind that the temperature stays as constant as it does.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Rasty wrote:

Always follow the money. Look at who benefits from the movement. Look at who pays the researchers.

Global warming is probably the 2nd biggest global theft in the history of man. War and it's associated industries would be 1st.
      can you cite some examples please?
      because if its clean renewable energy sources, i dont have a problem with it.pursuing this avenue rather than continuing to give billions in subsidies to big oil, would allow us to become energy independant.
      many will argue thats why the keystone pipeline should be allowed to be built. they forget that oil trades on a world market, and any new oil will be priced at market, and will have no impact at all on world oil prices.this pipedream is another gift to big oil. we dont become more energy independant, we just allow big oil to sell more oil.what we really could use is more refining capacity,although gasoline consumption has been on the decline for years now.

global warming exists. or if you prefer, climate change.
      what to do about it is a much bigger quandary, as most of the time, every time we try to "fix" something, we usually make it worse.
      its all good
    • Drybones wrote:

Think about it, the Sun is 93 million miles away, or 1 AU (Astronomical unit) and takes about 8 min. for the photons of light to each us, has continual turbulence and storms, and we think the Earth should stay a continual temperature as if we had a thermostat....it totally blows my mind that the temperature stays as constant as it does.
      fixed er up fer ya a bit, and I agree with ya, couple a degrees one way or the tother, we'd be hurtin' fer certain.
    • Rasty wrote:

Always follow the money. Look at who benefits from the movement. Look at who pays the researchers.

Global warming is probably the 2nd biggest global theft in the history of man. War and it's associated industries would be 1st.
      Al Gore didn't get rich by inventing the internet....made $100,000,000 off global warming bull shot.
    • Drybones wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Al Gore didn't get rich by inventing the internet....made $100,000,000 off global warming bull shot.
      algore is a hypocrite. if he really truly believed what he said about global warming....why did he live in a house with a monthly electric bill of $3k?
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Rasty wrote:

algore is a hypocrite. if he really truly believed what he said about global warming....why did he live in a house with a monthly electric bill of $3k?
      But people believed him, goes to show how smart we are now...we'll never put another person on the moon.
    • Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Rasty wrote:

But people believed him, goes to show how smart we are now...we'll never put another person on the moon.
      forbes.com/sites/larrybell/201…i-carbon-investment-hype/

al gore is really irrelevant to the conversation.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Rasty wrote:

forbes.com/sites/larrybell/201…i-carbon-investment-hype/

al gore is really irrelevant to the conversation.
      agree. algore needs to be stuffed in the lockbox and the key thrown away.
      2,000 miler