Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Health

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

glucosamine doesn't work for me
      bacon can solve any problem
      Y'all have been strangely quiet about bacon today. :whistling:
      Bacon and coffee are the key building blocks of the universe.

Rasty wrote:

bacon is overrated

PooFan
      See above...before I put a price on your head, what do you think about coffee?
      I try to limit myself to 12 cups per day. Black of course.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

glucosamine doesn't work for me
      bacon can solve any problem
      Y'all have been strangely quiet about bacon today. :whistling:
      Bacon and coffee are the key building blocks of the universe.

Rasty wrote:

bacon is overrated

PooFan
      See above...before I put a price on your head, what do you think about coffee?
      I try to limit myself to 12 cups per day. Black of course.
      we could possible get along if we avoided certain topics. LOL
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • According to my healthier than mine food choices friends, blackberries are loaded with anti-oxidants and other types of goodness. It's on par with red wine.

So enjoy!

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I started a program a few years back where I started with something like 10 push ups and added one each day, got to 65, don't recall why I stopped. I was in a gym in MN in the weight room once, a young, attractive lady came in from the cardio room saturated with sweat, got down on the floor and started doing one hand push ups.....I was humbled...and awed.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I normally have a protein shake when I get home from the gym but today I had two glasses of bourbon and a bag of the greasiest, saltiest, chips on the market...checked my blood pressure at the gym and it was the highest in a long time...if you see me in the obituaries tomorrow feel free to say "he went out doing what he loved".
    • Drybones wrote:

I started a program a few years back where I started with something like 10 push ups and added one each day, got to 65, don't recall why I stopped. I was in a gym in MN in the weight room once, a young, attractive lady came in from the cardio room saturated with sweat, got down on the floor and started doing one hand push ups.....I was humbled...and awed.

Don't worry about it too much. When I was 23 years old I could do 3 one-jamded push ups. Now when I try to do one one-hnaded push up, I fall over.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I started a program a few years back where I started with something like 10 push ups and added one each day, got to 65, don't recall why I stopped. I was in a gym in MN in the weight room once, a young, attractive lady came in from the cardio room saturated with sweat, got down on the floor and started doing one hand push ups.....I was humbled...and awed.
      Don't worry about it too much. When I was 23 years old I could do 3 one-jamded push ups. Now when I try to do one one-hnaded push up, I fall over.
      Just do regular ones & double the count number. 8o
    • At the end of spin class on Saturday, I pulled the muscle in my calf right below my knee. It was a lot better yesterday and I didn't have pain today so went back to spin class.

Dumb decision! The first time I stood up, it hurt again but I was able to do the class sitting down with only a little tension on the bike. Halfway through class the instructor yells that some of us are being slackers, lol! Guess I need to take it easy for a while.
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

At the end of spin class on Saturday, I pulled the muscle in my calf right below my knee. It was a lot better yesterday and I didn't have pain today so went back to spin class.

Dumb decision! The first time I stood up, it hurt again but I was able to do the class sitting down with only a little tension on the bike. Halfway through class the instructor yells that some of are being slackers, lol! Guess I need to take it easy for a while.
      I pulled my calf muscle back in September hiking. It took a while to get better, mostly because I really didn't take it easy and was hiking every weekend. I did get a calf compression sleeve and it really worked well and made the muscle feel much better.
      RIAP
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

At the end of spin class on Saturday, I pulled the muscle in my calf right below my knee. It was a lot better yesterday and I didn't have pain today so went back to spin class.

Dumb decision! The first time I stood up, it hurt again but I was able to do the class sitting down with only a little tension on the bike. Halfway through class the instructor yells that some of are being slackers, lol! Guess I need to take it easy for a while.
      I pulled my calf muscle back in September hiking. It took a while to get better, mostly because I really didn't take it easy and was hiking every weekend. I did get a calf compression sleeve and it really worked well and made the muscle feel much better.
      Good idea! I have a sleeve...going to put it on.
    • Have been fighting off a cold since returning from MLK IV. Today I felt well enough to ski again... second time this season. Considering we got nothing at all from Jonas (snow-wise) I'd say conditions were excellent.
      Images
      • wachusett_012516.jpg

173.35 kB, 800×450, viewed 251 times
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Dumb decision! The first time I stood up, it hurt again but I was able to do the class sitting down with only a little tension on the bike. Halfway through class the instructor yells that some of us are being slackers, lol! Guess I need to take it easy for a while.
      Oh if he (she) could only feel your pain. :D
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • February is Heart disease prevention month. Here's a good article.

cdc.gov/features/heartmonth/

My mom was a little older than I am now when she had a heart attack and quadruple bypass surgery. 6 years ago, I was very overweight and my labs were terrible. I had all the markers for being on the same path to heart disease. That didn't motivate me to change but hiking did.

One day I went hiking and it was so hard. I had to stop to breathe every few feet but I loved being outside in the mountains. So I started running to lose weight and get in shape for hiking. That led to cycling, swimming, weights, yoga...an overall healthier lifestyle.

So, I had a physical a few months ago (a year or two, ok nearly 3 years overdue) and guess what? My labs were wonderful!

And the same trail that I could barely walk on? I can run on it now. :thumbsup:
    • Please give those of us like myself who are anything but ultralight any suggestions you might care to share about diet and exercise.

I want to lose ten pounds. I hear that 1 pound = 3500 calories, but not everyone agrees. I am walking 2.5 miles per day and I think I am eating significantly less than 2500 calories per day. I spend the day at the library, where there is no food to tempt me. I am eating two meals per day - breakfast and dinner.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Please give those of us like myself who are anything but ultralight any suggestions you might care to share about diet and exercise.

I want to lose ten pounds. I hear that 1 pound = 3500 calories, but not everyone agrees. I am walking 2.5 miles per day and I think I am eating significantly less than 2500 calories per day. I spend the day at the library, where there is no food to tempt me. I am eating two meals per day - breakfast and dinner.
      If only there was a magic formula.

I'm no expert, it's a struggle for me too. As far as exercise, I believe that varying intensity works the best. If you don't already, try different speeds/intensity when you're walking. There's a lot of stuff online about how to do that.

Also (I'm sure you know), muscle burns more calories then fat, even at rest. It's easy to do strength exercises at home without fancy equipment although the scale may not move if you're building muscle.

And if you get really frustrated like I did a few weeks ago, you can start counting calories (ugh!). There are charts online that calculate your recommended daily calories based on age, height, weight, and how many pounds you want to lose each week.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Please give those of us like myself who are anything but ultralight any suggestions you might care to share about diet and exercise.

Dump these items and get your calories below 2000 if your less the 6'2"

Corn
      Corn Syrup
      Sugar
      Beer
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Corn
      Corn Syrup
      Sugar
      Beer
      I budget my calories to include beer or wine. :)
    • Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Corn
      Corn Syrup
      Sugar
      Beer
      Fixed that for you Rasty, I know you didn't really mean it.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Thanks TJ. It looks like calorie needs go down with age. Too bad I'm not a teenager. It looks like I only need 2300 calories per day to maintain my present body weight with no exercise.
      My take on that is the calories only need to go down if the activity level goes down with age, higher the actvity level the better more enjoyable you can eat.