Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

please help flip with his fundraising hike for ms

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• please help flip with his fundraising hike for ms

I met flip on the trail last year, diagnosed with ms, he has decided to hike the at next year to raise money for multiple sclerosis.
      please help him if you can.

"As a young kid growing up i always knew my grandmother to be in a wheelchair. She had Multiple Sclerosis. I never could carry on a conversation or even play with her. Later on in my life i was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis as well. With that said, my passion is to raise money for the Nationally Recognized Multiple Scerosis Foundation. I am trying to raise $25,000. My fundraiser is a 1,165 mile hike along the Appalacian Trail from Harpers Ferry WV to Katahdin Maine. The hike will traverse 10 states and take about 5 months. I need to raise $1,000 to cover my exspenses such as food, lodging, supplies,hiking gear, dog supplies, and misc. If you can help in any way, it would be greatly appreciated. Together we can climb this mountain and win the fight against MS.

I invite you visit our website:
      www.at-ms-fundraiser.com.

Facebook:
      page facebook.com/pages/Join-the-Hike-for-MS/827892673960876

Thank you for your support!!

[IMG:https://2dbdd5116ffa30a49aa8-c03f075f8191fb4e60e74b907071aee8.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/4139831_1434403618.2069_funddescription.jpg]

gofundme.com/rnravg

at-ms-fundraiser.com/
      its all good
    • Flip was interviewed abolut his hike over th ewekend by the winchester star newspaper:

Winchester man hiking the AT with a purpose
      Posted: August 3, 2015
      By Raya Zimmerman
      The Winchester Star
      Winchester resident Jim Lewis and his dog, Nika, are hiking the Appalachian Trail next spring to raise money for multiple sclerosis research. His goal is $25,000. Lewis was diagnosed with MS five years ago. (Photo by Scott Mason/The Winchester Star)

WINCHESTER — When Jim Lewis was paralyzed on his left side five years ago from multiple sclerosis (MS), he couldn’t just sit in one place and wait to be healed.
      Once he could take his first steps after undergoing physical therapy, he said he knew he wanted to hike the 2,168-mile Appalachian Trail — which passes through 14 states from its southernmost point in Springer Mountain, Ga., to its northern terminus at Katahdin, Maine.
      And that dream became a reality last year after Lewis and his American pitbull mix, Nika, hiked 1,180 miles of the Appalachian Trail, from Georgia to Harpers Ferry, W.Va.
      “I don’t care if you have a disability or not,” Lewis, 47, said recently. “In order to have a purpose, a dream and goals, you can’t let your disability get in the way of what you want to accomplish.”
      MS is a disease in which your immune system attacks the protective sheath (myelin) that covers your nerves, according to the Mayo Clinic. Myelin damage disrupts communication between your brain and the rest of your body. Ultimately, the nerves may deteriorate, a process that’s currently irreversible. Signs and symptoms vary widely, depending on the amount of damage and which nerves are affected. Some people with severe MS may lose the ability to walk independently or at all.
      Lewis is planning to hike the rest of the trail starting April 2 to raise $25,000 for the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation, a nonprofit organization that provides programs and support for those affected by MS.
      “My passion is to hike,” he said. “My goal now is to help as many people as I can with MS.”
      He said his hike is also a tribute to his grandmother, who had MS.
      Originally from upstate New York, Lewis arrived in Winchester in September 2014 after hiking to Harpers Ferry and he currently works at the Food Lion off Berryville Avenue. He said it takes the average hiker about three months to hike from Springer Mountain to Harpers Ferry, and it took him about five.
      “It’s not about how long it takes you to get there,” he said. “It’s about putting one foot in front of the other.”
      He said even though he uses hiking poles, it takes him longer than the average hiker because he is walking on muscle that was destroyed and was rebuilt after his paralysis.
      “Every day is difficult with MS,” he said. “I still have flare-ups. I’m like a flickering lamp.”
      Fortunately, Nika, who weighs 70 pounds and carries his own dehydrated dog food and water in a pack on his back, gives Lewis support while on the trail.
      “He’s a trouper,” Lewis said. “He’s better at it than I am. He’s always at the top of the hill waiting for me.”
      When Lewis embarks on the second half of his journey next year, he’ll have more than a dog companion and a guidebook.
      John Harris, a professional chef from Newport News, decided to go with him after learning of Lewis’ disease and fundraising goal.
      The two met over Facebook.
      “This world is going through so many issues at the moment and when I saw his Facebook post about doing the hike, I thought, ‘There needs to be more good people out there,” Harris, 35, said. “So I figured I would do anything I could do to help him raise more money, plus I’ve hiked parts of the trail before.”
      Harris is currently helping raise funds for the MS Foundation by selling jars of smoked pulled pork on his website, mkt.com/countryboycooking.
      About $2,000 in cash and pledges toward Lewis’ $25,000 goal has been raised since May.
      To learn more about his hike, visit his Facebook page called “Join the Hike for MS,” or his website, at-ms-fundraiser.com.
      — Contact Raya Zimmerman at rzimmerman@winchesterstar.com
      its all good
    • while he is not paying for all his expenses, he has 2 different ways he is collecting money.

the ms fundraiser link is for contributions that go directly to MS at the conclusion of his hike. 25k goal.

the go fund me link is for his hike expenses. 1k goal.

he is transparent in what he is doing. contributions to MS go to MS without any deductions for expenses. no issue here.
      2,000 miler
    • seriously socks get a life....................................Post and delete after woo Post and delete after woo Post and delete after woo post and delete after woo Post and delete after woo Post and delete after woo Post and delete after woo

do you see a pattern?
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: