Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Injuries

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• They say if you can't fix it with duck tape or a beer it ain't worth fixing, tried the beer, several, didn't work, if this fancy duck tape that cost $1/inch doesn't work I'm in trouble.
      Images
      • 2015_0617delorisaunt0003.JPG

72.41 kB, 450×600, viewed 292 times
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

Rut Roh, guess I missed somethin' whad ya do?
      Knee injury, have no idea what caused it, felt great hiking out laakes forst week end and the knee started hurting on the drive home, might have twisted it during the late night swim and didn't realize it...the knee lead to the shoulder injury.
      Ahhh... The 'ol knee bone connected to the shoulder bone... :rolleyes: ...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...

The post was edited 1 time, last by Toli ().

• Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

Knee injury, have no idea what caused it, felt great hiking out last week end and the knee started hurting on the drive home, might have twisted it during the late night swim and didn't realize it...the knee lead to the shoulder injury.
      I hope it heals quickly. I'm trying to find the connection between the knee and the shoulder but it ain't happening.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

Knee injury, have no idea what caused it, felt great hiking out last week end and the knee started hurting on the drive home, might have twisted it during the late night swim and didn't realize it...the knee lead to the shoulder injury.
      I hope it heals quickly. I'm trying to find the connection between the knee and the shoulder but it ain't happening.
      Hope this helps TJ... Or not... :P

Images
      • OPERATION.jpg

55.99 kB, 342×600, viewed 206 times
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

Sprained my knee last summer, seems like it took about 8 months to get right.
    • Toli wrote:

Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

Knee injury, have no idea what caused it, felt great hiking out laakes forst week end and the knee started hurting on the drive home, might have twisted it during the late night swim and didn't realize it...the knee lead to the shoulder injury.
      cra-Ahhh... The 'ol knee bone connected to the shoulder bone... :rolleyes: ...
      TJ;

Try visualizing Toli with a partner's shoulder bone.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

Couldn't do cardio and leg/ab days at the gym, could only do upper body with the bum knee...overloaded the shoulder with too many days in a row, should have stopped when it first started hurting......hello, my name is Drybones and I'm a dumbass.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

Couldn't do cardio and leg/ab days at the gym, could only do upper body with the bum knee...overloaded the shoulder with too many days in a row, should have stopped when it first started hurting......hello, my name is Drybones and I'm a dumbass.
      Nah.... Too many people will tell you pain is weakness leaving the body. ;)

You've done the over-use injury once, and I bet you don't do it again. Most of us have been there.
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
    • WaterRat wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

Nah.... Too many people will tell you pain is weakness leaving the body. ;)
      You've done the over-use injury once, and I bet you don't do it again. Most of us have been there.
      You'd lose your money, I live in a vicious cycle, use the brain and start out slow, build up slowly but keep adding until you really feel great and then add too much and an injury occurs, keep using the injured part and complaining about it hurting until a month on the trail cures it, return home and start over.
    • Drybones wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

Nah.... Too many people will tell you pain is weakness leaving the body. ;) You've done the over-use injury once, and I bet you don't do it again. Most of us have been there.
      You'd lose your money, I live in a vicious cycle, use the brain and start out slow, build up slowly but keep adding until you really feel great and then add too much and an injury occurs, keep using the injured part and complaining about it hurting until a month on the trail cures it, return home and start over.
      Okay.... I sit corrected. At least you are consistent? :D
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
    • With all the "job" or "activity" named injuries around you think we could get some afflictions named after the hiking activity that caused them. Aside from hiker funk we have nothing.
      We could have hiker blister. The one that formed on top of the half healed one under it.
      Hiker hand. Where the webbing between the thumb and forefinger is calloused from holding a pole.
      Hiker hips where there are huge callouses from the pack belt.
      Hiker neck where the head is tilted forward looking at the ground (prevalent in PA).
      Come on. I challenge you for some better ones...
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

With all the "job" or "activity" named injuries around you think we could get some afflictions named after the hiking activity that caused them. Aside from hiker funk we have nothing.
      We could have hiker blister. The one that formed on top of the half healed one under it.
      Hiker hand. Where the webbing between the thumb and forefinger is calloused from holding a pole.
      Hiker hips where there are huge callouses from the pack belt.
      Hiker neck where the head is tilted forward looking at the ground (prevalent in PA).
      Come on. I challenge you for some better ones...
      Hammock elbow.
    • Trillium wrote:

Since we're on the subject of knees, my Doc told me yesterday that she suspects I might have a Baker's cyst on the back of my left knee. Going for x-ray and ultrasound.
      I would be interested in what you find out. I believe I have one that comes and goes (or shrinks and grows) on the side of my left knee. I know I need to eventually have a real doctor look at it.

I really need to pay closer attention to the cause and effect of why it grows. Walked 16 miles today and no increase or pain, so who knows.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I just booked a flight for the CT on 8/3, been limping around for the past couple of weeks with the better of the two knees inflamed, normally they do okay unless I abuse them, have no idea what caused this one to flair up but I'm going on faith it'll be ready to travel come hike time, the wife (woman of little faith) had me purchase flight insurance just in case.
    • Astro wrote:

Trillium wrote:

Since we're on the subject of knees, my Doc told me yesterday that she suspects I might have a Baker's cyst on the back of my left knee. Going for x-ray and ultrasound.
      I would be interested in what you find out. I believe I have one that comes and goes (or shrinks and grows) on the side of my left knee. I know I need to eventually have a real doctor look at it.
      I really need to pay closer attention to the cause and effect of why it grows. Walked 16 miles today and no increase or pain, so who knows.
      Dr's office called Friday. No Baker's Cyst. Diagnosis: mild tendonitis. Told me to keep it compressed. So, apparently not serious.
    • Trillium wrote:

Astro wrote:

Trillium wrote:

I would be interested in what you find out. I believe I have one that comes and goes (or shrinks and grows) on the side of my left knee. I know I need to eventually have a real doctor look at it.I really need to pay closer attention to the cause and effect of why it grows. Walked 16 miles today and no increase or pain, so who knows.
      Dr's office called Friday. No Baker's Cyst. Diagnosis: mild tendonitis. Told me to keep it compressed. So, apparently not serious.
      I've had this condition twice (Bakers Cyst) both times about 15 years apart it had to be drained. The doctor told me it was like a check valve was stuck so the fluid goes in but doesn't come back out...er something like that. Not a big deal unless the bursae breaks, I think it's synovial fluid, I now get injections in both knees and by all accounts so far there are doing better. Not sure how the two are related to one another other than repetitive up and down and working off ones knees.