Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Making Fire

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• LIhikers wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

Campfires are over rated, warm hands over alcohol burner, warm belly with hot drink or alcohol, crawl into warm sleeping bag.
      I agree but it stinks when you're so cold that you're crawling into the bag at 6 pm. That's a really long night.

TrafficJam wrote:

...and to be honest, I was supposed to stay out tonight too. I just couldn't stand another 14 hrs in the tent, tossing and turning, trying to stay warm. I'm thinking seriously about giving hiking a break...really feeling discouraged. :(
      Hey TJ. Don't be discouraged. I learned that I will never be a cold weather hiker again. Not my thing. It's TOUGH, from the short days to the mornings in the 20s and the evenings dipping into the 30s around 6pm. Yes, a kindle or a writing pad are necessities for our sanity in this case.Give hiking a break until the spring and we'll do some of the BMT together!
      BTW, campfires were hit or miss with me too.
      Sounds fun! I'm planning on hiking with my youngest on her spring break. I have a week off after Christmas...can't not hike if the weather's decent.
      Define decent :)
      Not cold! :)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I got a copy of the 2015 BMT guidebook today. I've had some problem visualizing certain intersections, but I have seen them on youtube.

My sister wants me to wait for warmer weather, and me getting my stamina, and basic health, better than it is now. So, go ahead and don't plan on me being there.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

I got a copy of the 2015 BMT guidebook today. I've had some problem visualizing certain intersections, but I have seen them on youtube.

My sister wants me to wait for warmer weather, and me getting my stamina, and basic health, better than it is now. So, go ahead and don't plan on me being there.
      When you're ready, let me know. I just can't plan things very far in advance. :)
    • TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

Campfires are over rated, warm hands over alcohol burner, warm belly with hot drink or alcohol, crawl into warm sleeping bag.
      I agree but it stinks when you're so cold that you're crawling into the bag at 6 pm. That's a really long night.

TrafficJam wrote:

...and to be honest, I was supposed to stay out tonight too. I just couldn't stand another 14 hrs in the tent, tossing and turning, trying to stay warm. I'm thinking seriously about giving hiking a break...really feeling discouraged. :(
      Hey TJ. Don't be discouraged. I learned that I will never be a cold weather hiker again. Not my thing. It's TOUGH, from the short days to the mornings in the 20s and the evenings dipping into the 30s around 6pm. Yes, a kindle or a writing pad are necessities for our sanity in this case.Give hiking a break until the spring and we'll do some of the BMT together!BTW, campfires were hit or miss with me too.
      Sounds fun! I'm planning on hiking with my youngest on her spring break. I have a week off after Christmas...can't not hike if the weather's decent.
      Wuss
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Hey TJ. Don't be discouraged. I learned that I will never be a cold weather hiker again. Not my thing. It's TOUGH, from the short days to the mornings in the 20s and the evenings dipping into the 30s around 6pm. Yes, a kindle or a writing pad are necessities for our sanity in this case.Give hiking a break until the spring and we'll do some of the BMT together!BTW, campfires were hit or miss with me too.
      You gotta get you the right gear girl, I agree, I don't like being cold, not for long any way, for a while it just makes you feel alive, but I want to be able to sleep at night.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I got a copy of the 2015 BMT guidebook today. I've had some problem visualizing certain intersections, but I have seen them on youtube.

When you're ready, let me know. I just can't plan things very far in advance. :)

Sorry, but I would need a month lead time due to my relatives would need to take a vacation day to get me over there. Otherwise, I couldn't possibly make it. So, you all go ahead and have fun.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

Disagree. . Fire building skills are vital for hikers whether in warm or cold temps. Water purification, cooking, drying clothing and warming oneself after an unplanned water exposure, and signalling distress are examples of when fire is required.

Practice at home using the above tips. Such skills are good for one's self confidence.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I stink at fire making. I can do it if conditions are perfect, i.e. dry and no wind. Otherwise, I can't do it.

Any tips or tricks? I've tried hand sanitizer and shredded TP.
      Its an old thread and well you may have solved this ... IF you think for a moment that a tinder bundle is the size of your fist - triple it. same for everything else. If you think you need anything thicker than two inches... nope... The best fires are 1/2-1/3 inch,,, and a ton of it broken up... I don't need logs or thick branches to boil or keep warm.
      Its more of a state of mind over knowledge...

Lots of U tubes on this... haven't looked them up in a while...
      let me know if you need more.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I stink at fire making. I can do it if conditions are perfect, i.e. dry and no wind. Otherwise, I can't do it.

Any tips or tricks? I've tried hand sanitizer and shredded TP.
      Its an old thread and well you may have solved this ... IF you think for a moment that a tinder bundle is the size of your fist - triple it. same for everything else. If you think you need anything thicker than two inches... nope... The best fires are 1/2-1/3 inch,,, and a ton of it broken up... I don't need logs or thick branches to boil or keep warm.Its more of a state of mind over knowledge...

Lots of U tubes on this... haven't looked them up in a while...
      let me know if you need more.
      Nope, haven't tried since my last overnight in the Smokies.
    • socks wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I reckon I could just about start a fire by glaring at the undergrowth at the moment. The whole forest is a tinderbox.
      I was thinking about that!
      Everything is too wet and cold 22° at the moment. UH Fahrenheit. Unless you have superman vision.
      or a pair of glasses and live in Austrailia where it's currently 104 degrees.
      Since we're talking about Australia, I hope you mean it's currently 40 degrees. Otherwise our friend Jacko would have been baked medium well by now. 8o
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

socks wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I reckon I could just about start a fire by glaring at the undergrowth at the moment. The whole forest is a tinderbox.
      I was thinking about that!
      Everything is too wet and cold 22° at the moment. UH Fahrenheit. Unless you have superman vision.
      or a pair of glasses and live in Austrailia where it's currently 104 degrees.
      Since we're talking about Australia, I hope you mean it's currently 40 degrees. Otherwise our friend Jacko would have been baked medium well by now. 8o
      you mean its 40 there, and and 40 here?......finally, PROOF...global warming, I mean cooling, I mean throw another swimp on the barbie...eh.
    • socks wrote:

Astro wrote:

Socks you can have a swimp if you like, but I would prefer shrimp (or some of those jumbo "prawns" that Paul Hogan used to toss on in the commercials). :D
      long as I get to eat off Barbie don't care what we cook.
      While in high school a girl named Barbra used a nickname of 'Barbie' until an exchange student from Australia appeared. After enduring his comments, she attempted to suppress usage of same.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I saw someone start a fire on TV with a tampon, ashes, and two flat boards. The ashes got rolled up in the tampon, and the resulting assembly rolled between the boards. I have seen tampons in hiker boxes, but flat boards are harder to come by. The best chance of finding a pair of flat boards is after shelter/privy construction or demolition. But the wood quickly finds its way into fires. I think I will stick with lighters and ferrocerium rods.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

Astro wrote:

Socks you can have a swimp if you like, but I would prefer shrimp (or some of those jumbo "prawns" that Paul Hogan used to toss on in the commercials). :D
      long as I get to eat off Barbie don't care what we cook.
      While in high school a girl named Barbra used a nickname of 'Barbie' until an exchange student from Australia appeared. After enduring his comments, she attempted to suppress usage of same.
      One of my physical therapy girls was named Barbie...cute, sweet, young...I almost enjoyed having her hurt me.
    • Mountain Mike suggested making fire starters with petroleum jelly and cotton balls so now I do this routinely and always carry some in my "first aid" kit.

I made some for my daughter also. One night she stayed at a shelter with four "older people" who tried and failed to start a fire. She pulled out her cotton balls and had one going in a few minutes. Everyone was impressed that the youngster could make a fire. That's my girl. :thumbsup:
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain Mike suggested making fire starters with petroleum jelly and cotton balls so now I do this routinely and always carry some in my "first aid" kit.

I made some for my daughter also. One night she stayed at a shelter with four "older people" who tried and failed to start a fire. She pulled out her cotton balls and had one going in a few minutes. Everyone was impressed that the youngster could make a fire. That's my girl. :thumbsup:
      Way to go Mom for teaching the technique.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain Mike suggested making fire starters with petroleum jelly and cotton balls so now I do this routinely and always carry some in my "first aid" kit.

Brings back memories of the best tread ever on TOS.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

That thread was pure genius
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Way to go Mom for teaching the technique.
      I didn't think she was listening.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

is she still out hiking?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Rasty wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

That thread was pure genius
      It caused me to have a profound respect for Tippi and his ability to communicate with dry humor in a manner to put you on the floor laughing.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

is she still out hiking?
      No, she had to come home and get a job. She had a great time and plans to continue section hiking.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

is she still out hiking?
      No, she had to come home and get a job. She had a great time and plans to continue section hiking.
      Section hiking gives you pleasure for a while and leaves you with something to look forward to.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • mental note wrote:

I believe the new term is Lady balls
      A good friend whom just obtained her nurse anesthetist license is fond of saying in admiration 'She's got brass ovaries' when referencing an audacious act on the part of a female staff member.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • max.patch wrote:

fire or sex. the choice is yours.

Firestarter: Camping experts and wilderness survival educators Willow Haven Outdoor believe there are 11 ways a condom can save your life, one of which is using them as kindling in a pinch. “A latex condom will ignite almost instantaneously and burn furiously for several minutes, allowing you plenty of time to build your fire,” they explain.

I'm guessing the lubricant matters.