Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Being Feminine on the Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Being Feminine on the Trail

I read a journal entry a few years ago by a woman thru hiker. She admitted to packing her makeup and wearing it every day of her hike. She wrote, "Just because I'm hiking, it doesn't mean I have to look skanky."

I've often wondered about that statement and how many women feel the same way. Do women backpackers really care about how they look when hiking? Do some women carry make-up, razors, etc. but won't admit to it because we're supposed to be bad ass? Does the perceived lack of femininity on the trail (stinkiness, dirty clothes, natty hair) prevent some women from getting out and trying backpacking?

Along the same lines, I read this article a few weeks ago about being feminine in the military. cnn.com/2015/05/15/opinions/co…women-soldiers/index.html

I really like this statement...

"The girls ask me what it's like to be surrounded by men all the time. And sometimes it can be intimidating if you let it be, but I think that we need to find women that are confident, and happy to be women, to not compare themselves to the men as much as to find their strength in their own identity."

(I don't personally pack make-up and stuff, but I have no problem if other women do. If that's what gets them out on the trail, so be it.)
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• To each their own.... Some women just feel that makeup is part of who their identity. If that works for those women, great. Those who feel the need to dress themselves up will feel that need no matter where they are.

Some women are extremely feminine without needing all the makeup, clothes, etc. The inner person will shine through even without the "stuff." Makeup is not what makes a woman feminine. Just because I do not wear makeup (I am allergic to a lot of it and prefer not to wear the hypo-allergenic), dpesn't mean I don't care about how I look. I do believe in personal hygiene. :D

Genuinely curious - Why is a woman less feminine because she gets out on the trail? We have fought all these years to be seen as equal, and not lesser beings. Why doesn't that carry over onto the trail? How does makeup, or lack of makeup, help you make your way up the trail?

In my opinion...

The bad ass women are those who prepare themselves for the trail, they rely on themselves to get from point A to point B. I am not saying they can't form friendships and hike with others, I am just saying they do not depend on anyone to get them where they are going. They are self-sufficient.

The bad ass women are the ones who get out there and are in their element. They often enjoy the trail and all it has to offer (even the raining, tough days). They take each day as it comes.

My definition of bad ass does not include some dirty, burly, woman chewing logs in half to make a fire from scratch. This, after hiking all day with a 90 lb pack, while fireman carrying some poor guy she met along the trail.

Being bad ass comes from inside. Makeup, or lack of makeup, doesn't change anything about that.
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
    • WaterRat wrote:

To each their own.... Some women just feel that makeup is part of who their identity. If that works for those women, great. Those who feel the need to dress themselves up will feel that need no matter where they are.

Some women are extremely feminine without needing all the makeup, clothes, etc. The inner person will shine through even without the "stuff." Makeup is not what makes a woman feminine. Just because I do not wear makeup (I am allergic to a lot of it and prefer not to wear the hypo-allergenic), dpesn't mean I don't care about how I look. I do believe in personal hygiene. :D

Genuinely curious - Why is a woman less feminine because she gets out on the trail? We have fought all these years to be seen as equal, and not lesser beings. Why doesn't that carry over onto the trail? How does makeup, or lack of makeup, help you make your way up the trail?

That's what I want to know too. I know one lady who likes to hike but refuses to pee in the woods. She will hold it un

In my opinion...

The bad ass women are those who prepare themselves for the trail, they rely on themselves to get from point A to point B. I am not saying they can't form friendships and hike with others, I am just saying they do not depend on anyone to get them where they are going. They are self-sufficient.

The bad ass women are the ones who get out there and are in their element. They often enjoy the trail and all it has to offer (even the raining, tough days). They take each day as it comes.

My definition of bad ass does not include some dirty, burly, woman chewing logs in half to make a fire from scratch. This, after hiking all day with a 90 lb pack, while fireman carrying some poor guy she met along the trail.

Being bad ass comes from inside. Makeup, or lack of makeup, doesn't change anything about that.
    • WaterRat wrote:

To each their own.... Some women just feel that makeup is part of who their identity. If that works for those women, great. Those who feel the need to dress themselves up will feel that need no matter where they are.

In my opinion...

That is what I would like to know too. Why is the lack of a shower and clean clothes such a turn off for many women? I backpacked with a young lady (19 yrs) a few years ago who didn't want to get her shoes dirty and who took her deodorant and make up. I know another lady who likes to hike but refuses to pee in the woods to the point of being in tears from the pain. Are we so indoctrinated to looking and behaving a certain way that we can't enjoy life? I know women who wouldn't go to the mailbox without make up. It's sad. I blame advertising and the media for today's warped standards of beauty.

Yet, what woman would admit to carrying dry shampoo and other girly things on the trail? I think they would be laughed at. Even though I wouldn't carry those things, I think women that do should feel comfortable and accepted.

I love what you said about bad ass women! That is so true. But I think some women are too extreme and have chips on their shoulders. Have you read the thread on TOS about the irritating comments made by men? It's as if they are so bad ass, don't dare give them advice or help. I sort of feel sorry for men...try to be helpful and get their heads bitten off by the woman trying to prove herself...not be helpful and get their heads bitten off by the woman who thinks they should be put on a pedestal.

And I'm probably over thinking all of this... :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• I love feminine women. I love women who are tomboys. I really love women who have a mix of both and can figure out what situation to fly which flag or both flags. But that's MY personal taste. I think it's a bit crazy to carry all the accoutrements for prettying up (while hiking). People think it's crazy for me to carry coffee beans, a grinder, and a French press. Whatever works for each person (An extended play version of HYOH, eh? :P )

I don't think femininity is about appearance, although it plays a part, especially when all we see is the surface. If you know someone you know what they're really like on the inside, appearance notwithstanding.

Simply put, if a woman wants to carry makeup, hair stuff, deodorant, perfume, or even a bloody blow dryer, let her rock it as long as she's not asking me to tote her pack.

I DO think it's pure silliness to not accept getting dirty while hiking as you mentioned. It's going to happen one way or another. But if at the end of the hiking day someone wants to do whatever they can to clean up, have at it.

As for the women in the military bit, I have a dear friend in the Corps who is one sh!t-hot Marine. A stellar example of what a Marine should be, to include looking sharp in uniform. But she's every bit a woman and as feminine as you can get. If you saw her out of uniform--okay, let me rephrase before some dirty mind (mine) gets carried away--in civilian attire, you'd never guess she's a Marine, because she fits NONE of the stereotypes people carry in their silly minds about female Marines.

I hope I've made some sense in my babbling.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • "Why is the lack of a shower and clean clothes such a turn off for many women? Are we so indoctrinated to looking and behaving a certain way that we can't enjoy life? I know women who wouldn't go to the mailbox without make up. It's sad. I blame advertising and the media for today's warped standards of beauty."

There are some women who are not comfortable getting outside (let alone getting dirty), or maybe they have spent their whole lives in the city? If their mothers and grandmothers raised them with the idea that little girls play with dolls and have to stay clean, then that is all they know. That is their normal. Then again, there are just some people who do not like to get dirty.

I had awesome grandparents who raised my mom right. They got her outside and taught her to appreciate Nature. She (as well as my grandparents) passed that along to me. My brothers were also both exposed to being outside, etc. One of my brothers is not comfortable unless he is in his office and in front of his computer. The other brother doesn't mind day hikes (as long as he can get back to a bed and a shower at night) and then there is me. I am happiest outside. We all had the same upbringing, but all have different comfort zones. I think it is more common that women don't want to get dirty, but there are also some men who feel the same way.

"Yet, what woman would admit to carrying dry shampoo and other girly things on the trail? I think they would be laughed at. Even though I wouldn't carry those things, I think women that do should feel comfortable and accepted."

If those things were part of my routine, then I would have no problem admitting I am carrying them. If I am the one carrying it, it shouldn't matter to anyone else what I choose to bring. I bring *gasp* electronics on the trail! I bring *gasp* a battery pack on the trail! Happy to admit it because being able to take pictures and record my hikes makes me happy on the days when I can't be out on the trail. It also allows me to share my experiences with a few friends who (because of health and physical limitations) can't be out there with me.

Does it bother me that there are those who think electronics should be banned from the outdoors? Nope. Not in the least bit. I do my best not to intrude on their hike and I would ask the same respect from them. If I am the one carrying the stuff, am not using it in a way that interferes with the hike of someone else, then what does it matter what is in my pack? Likewise with makeup and "girly stuff." If someone wants to haul that stuff on the trail - They are the ones who have to carry it. If that is their comfort item, then so be it.

Of course, I feel the same way about guys - Everyone has their comfort items. Doesn't mean I personally want to carry (insert name of item). They are the ones carrying it, not me. If you think about it, there are plenty of guys out there who don't admit to some of the items they carry. Perhaps they might be made to feel less manly because they chose to carry a comfort item and not live off the land with only the barest of essentials? I think everyone should feel comfortable with the items they have chosen for their trip. Does it really matter what anyone else thinks if it does not impact their hike?

And, I do have to say I love Grinder's comment "Simply put, if a woman wants to carry makeup, hair stuff, deodorant, perfume, or even a bloody blow dryer, let her rock it as long as she's not asking me to tote her pack." I had this awesome visual of a woman hiking up to a shelter and whipping out a hair dryer on a rainy day. :D
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
    • WaterRat wrote:

It sounds like you've met my wife Kathy, but you probably haven't.
      She doesn't hesitate to go out without me, and then it's usually solo (if you don't count our dog)
      She hasn't done any long hikes, but that's not because she isn't capable, she is.
      She hardly ever uses make-up in everyday life so you can be sure she doesn't pack it for hiking.
      And yes, she's feminine on and off trail.

I'm out of here..................
    • LIhikers wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

It sounds like you've met my wife Kathy, but you probably haven't.She doesn't hesitate to go out without me, and then it's usually solo (if you don't count our dog)
      She hasn't done any long hikes, but that's not because she isn't capable, she is.
      She hardly ever uses make-up in everyday life so you can be sure she doesn't pack it for hiking.
      And yes, she's feminine on and off trail.

I'm out of here..................
      LIhikers - I most likely haven't met Kathy, but I have met women like her out on the trail. They are the ones who have the best stories, are lovin' life, and tend to have the biggest smiles on their faces. :D
    • I did semi-seriously consider dehydrated makeup. I figured I could dehydrate a days worth into the size of a dime. Then I would put a weeks worth into a container, like the water-color paint containers that kids use, only much smaller and light weight. A few drops of water to rehydrate and voilà. But then my daughter said, "Isn't that what powder is?" I don't know, but decided the market isn't favorable, in fact it's probably nonexistent. :)

Sometimes I have too much time on my hands.
    • I like to watch the women who chronicle their long distance hikes on youtube. I pay attention to their skin. The first few videos see an increase in facial blemishes. Then as the time passes their skin clears. Those who stick to mostly water are the ones I really like to watch because their skin grows more beautiful by the week. Women spend untold amounts of money on skin creams, etc. and the secret is right there at the tap, or the stream if on trail; water. Water is the answer. We can't live without water, period, we all know that. Our skin is the single largest organ we possess. Common sense should tell us the skin needs the most water, but we don't listen. Healthy skin is hydrated skin.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Drybones wrote:

I like naked faces.
      I agree with you. My point of view is that faces are beautiful just the way God made them. On occasion just a touch of lipstick or a little shadow can enhance the beauty. I feel bad for those women whose self-esteem is based on spending high amount of time, money and product to make themselves look more attractive to others. If others don't like me because I don't conform (knuckle under) to what commercial interests project as the ultimate of beauty and femininity, then I don't need them as friends.
    • Trillium wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I like naked faces.
      I agree with you. My point of view is that faces are beautiful just the way God made them. On occasion just a touch of lipstick or a little shadow can enhance the beauty. I feel bad for those women whose self-esteem is based on spending high amount of time, money and product to make themselves look more attractive to others. If others don't like me because I don't conform (knuckle under) to what commercial interests project as the ultimate of beauty and femininity, then I don't need them as friends.
      I love that backpacking women are so confident!
    • Trillium wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I like naked faces.
      I wonder who most women are trying to look good for, other women or men, if it's men, there may be a misconception of what men see as attractive...or maybe it's just me and I shouldn't try to speak for all men, I know there are lots of opinions as to what beauty is.....in the eye of the beholder.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Trillium wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I like naked faces.
      I wonder who most women are trying to look good for, other women or men, if it's men, there may be a misconception of what men see as attractive...or maybe it's just me and I shouldn't try to speak for all men, I know there are lots of opinions as to what beauty is.....in the eye of the beholder.
      I think the answer is that they are trying to look good for everyone.

There are the ones who want to be seen as the most attractive in a room (that is how you get the best caveman, didn't ya know?).

There are the ones want the other women to know they take care of themselves and to stop the gossip about how dare she go out without putting on her face. Mothers used to stress that their daughters need to make themselves presentable by putting on their faces and making sure they dress appropriately before they go out in public. Some of that is still ingrained.

Some women dress themselves up in an effort to make the other women jealous.

There are a gazillion different answers out there, but it all comes back to the basic premise that these women feel the need to look good for everyone. Sadly, they feel they need makeup to look good.
    • definefeminine.arcteryx.com/zh/nominee/kristin-belair

"Being feminine is being graceful bouldering, strong on the trails, and accepting challenges to continue to grow. It's following your passions instead of being submissive to the lessons of generations before us. Nothing is more beautiful in a woman than passion. To be beautiful, you can't be afraid to seek beauty wherever it awaits you."