Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Astro on the AT

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I can relate. When I lived in Singapore it was like 24 hours from our house in Houston to our apartment in Singapore.

Trip NYC-Chi was 19 hours and Chi-LR 14 hours. Had bought ticket originally for Pittsfield, MA. If realized leaving from NY I would have flown. Needless to say a whole lot faster.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • OzJacko wrote:

Just be thankful that going home doesn't take one 14 hour flight followed by an 11 hour one....
      ;)

Astro wrote:

I can relate. When I lived in Singapore it was like 24 hours from our house in Houston to our apartment in Singapore.

Trip NYC-Chi was 19 hours and Chi-LR 14 hours. Had bought ticket originally for Pittsfield, MA. If realized leaving from NY I would have flown. Needless to say a whole lot faster.
      JFK to LAX....5 hrs, then LAX to Iwakuni, J A pan.....18 hrs :thumbsup:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Back when Braniff Airlines was still around, my parents and I were comnig back from overseas, and the pilot almost mistook one of the early blue cow pasture lights for the runway lghts. Muddy field, likely would have been a crash.

He did come on the PA and apologize. Sped back up, and we went on to the actual airport runway.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • While it is great to be home with my wife and children, I have to admit I do miss the trail.
      Although it is nice to know that I have not fallen down, scrape my legs and arms against a rock, or walked in the rain for almost a week now.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Had a department dinner Monday night that my wife said she would not go with me to unless I trimmed my beard. So I went to the barber and got my hair and beard trimmed. When I saw my wife she said I thought you were going to get your beard trimmed. I said I did, but just told the lady to trim the wild stuff.

Neatest thing is the barber I first went to was closed, so I went to one I have never been to before. Not but a few minutes after she starts, in walks a former student who thru hiked in 2010. He gave me a lot of advice before I started that November (of course he was like a 20 year old 6'6'' NCAA athlete so not every thing applied). But it was great talking about my hike with him while she was cutting my hair/beard. He and his wife are hiking an 1,800 mile trail in New Zealand in November.
    • That would be the Te Aeroa trail (?spelling).
      Goes top of North Island to bottom of South Island.
      On my bucket list.
      It's ideal for LASHers. Several urban sections that it's highly recommended that you bus.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Astro wrote:

Had a department dinner Monday night that my wife said she would not go with me to unless I trimmed my beard. So I went to the barber and got my hair and beard trimmed. When I saw my wife she said I thought you were going to get your beard trimmed. I said I did, but just told the lady to trim the wild stuff.

Neatest thing is the barber I first went to was closed, so I went to one I have never been to before. Not but a few minutes after she starts, in walks a former student who thru hiked in 2010. He gave me a lot of advice before I started that November (of course he was like a 20 year old 6'6'' NCAA athlete so not every thing applied). But it was great talking about my hike with him while she was cutting my hair/beard. He and his wife are hiking an 1,800 mile trail in New Zealand in November.
      I came home from the trail once pretty shaggy and wasn't going to get a hair cut until the wife complained, she never did so I finally gave up and got a cut, then she says, "I liked that scruffy look".....women, you never know about them.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Just be thankful that going home doesn't take one 14 hour flight followed by an 11 hour one....
      ;)
      When flying aboard a C-130, one can double those times.
      I have been on a C-123 'Goony Bird' one time. 12 hours to fly from San Antonio, Texas to Travis AFB, CA. Abour 120-125 miles per hour. Eeeesh.
      headwinds

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Astro wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Sorry to hear that. Hope you heal fast & are ready for the trail next year!
      Definitely gonna be ready for AT next summer (CT-NH). :thumbup:
      Was planning on completing Ouachita Trail this Fall, but it looks like that will need to wait some.
      Keep us posted on when you do go back to the QT, I'm thinking I need a trip to AR one day, haven't been there since floating the Buffalo River.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Dan76 wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

;)
      When flying aboard a C-130, one can double those times.
      I have been on a C-123 'Goony Bird' one time. 12 hours to fly from San Antonio, Texas to Travis AFB, CA. Abour 120-125 miles per hour. Eeeesh.
      headwinds

I think the airplane wanted to fly south for the winter. It flapped its wings as we went down the runway.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Best wishes for the surgery.
      Sounds like you're tough enough to recover well.
      Like I told my wife I found out this summer the one thing greater than my fear of heights and pain is my determination. :)

So yeah, I will work hard at the rehab to get back out there again as soon as I can.
    • Astro wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Like I told my wife I found out this summer the one thing greater than my fear of heights and pain is my determination. :)
      So yeah, I will work hard at the rehab to get back out there again as soon as I can.
      I gotta really strong feeling yer gonna be alright.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Like I told my wife I found out this summer the one thing greater than my fear of heights and pain is my determination. :) So yeah, I will work hard at the rehab to get back out there again as soon as I can.
      ok i gotta ask something. way back when i posted the toughest part of your hike was gonna be the bus ride and if you survived that you would survive anything the trail would throw at you. any chance you injured your arm by sleeping on it funny on the bus?
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Like I told my wife I found out this summer the one thing greater than my fear of heights and pain is my determination. :) So yeah, I will work hard at the rehab to get back out there again as soon as I can.
      ok i gotta ask something. way back when i posted the toughest part of your hike was gonna be the bus ride and if you survived that you would survive anything the trail would throw at you. any chance you injured your arm by sleeping on it funny on the bus?
      Stressed at AYCE's?
    • milkman wrote:

max.patch wrote:

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Stressed at AYCE's?
      Ya mean Astro didn't have on full shoulder pads and helmet, that's ballsy, them places can be treacherous at times.
    • socks wrote:

milkman wrote:

max.patch wrote:

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Stressed at AYCE's?
      Ya mean Astro didn't have on full shoulder pads and helmet, that's ballsy, them places can be treacherous at times.
      Especially in the South and they're serving biscuits and gravy.
    • max.patch wrote:

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

No, but so far the surgery has been more enjoyable. Most of the nurses had sons who had played with sports with my sons in the past. Good thing it wasn't any who felt I had them sitting on the bench too much.