Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

jimmyjam's jammin lash

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• A special thanks to Sarcasm the Elf for shuttling us all over Great Barrington and for the beer so we could continue our " brew thru". It was great to meet another cyber friend in person. Thanks again! !
      Images
      • 20150606_194228.jpg

137.74 kB, 800×480, viewed 327 times
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Hey JimmyJam, you were askin about why Limestone Spring Shelter is so far off of the trail, I just noticed this explanation had been posted on TOS:

There was also mention of the sign you saw stating that the shelter is closed, but no answer as to why yet.

[IMG:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon1.png]
      The trail that is now the blue-blazed side trail to the shelter (and 0.7 miles on to Sugar Hill Rd) used to be the AT. There was more road walking when traveling NOBO from Falls Village back in the day. Yes, I'm old enough to remember that, although the memory is somewhat vague.

--Peter
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Hey JimmyJam, you were askin about why Limestone Spring Shelter is so far off of the trail, I just noticed this explanation had been posted on TOS:

There was also mention of the sign you saw stating that the shelter is closed, but no answer as to why yet.

[IMG:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon1.png]
      The trail that is now the blue-blazed side trail to the shelter (and 0.7 miles on to Sugar Hill Rd) used to be the AT. There was more road walking when traveling NOBO from Falls Village back in the day. Yes, I'm old enough to remember that, although the memory is somewhat vague.

--Peter

This would suggest there is another blue blaze trail out the other side.
      Congratulations. The blue blaze becomes a "retro blaze".
      Problem solved.
      :)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • upper goose pond is unbelievable. It is a must see. Yes pan akes and coffee in am. We did another 20+ and are in Dalton as we realized we had not had a shower since new jersey. Can you say stink stank stunk? Enjoying a Massachusetts beer. Lol
      Images
      • 20150608_192147.jpg

66.83 kB, 640×480, viewed 312 times
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Love Dalton. First off, it's named after me so immediately it's awesome. Second, there's a nice pond on the left coming into town that has a rock formation sticking up out of it; brave the cold (if you're from SC it's cold, ok....) and climb up on the rocks to warm up and dry out then swim back. Repeat as necessary. Finally, I've heard that all the water used in the making of US Currency comes from Dalton due to a specific mineral content.

That is all.

Carry on.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

we bought maine beers: big elm in Connecticut and hauled them over the mountain into Massachusetts. The brew thru continues.:-)
      When you get to Rt 4/Killington in VT I highly reccoment the Inn at the Long Trail. Breakfast included with stay(good one at that). If you want to go cheap, stay across the street for free & visit the pub. Your bre-thru may requre an extra day to hitch down the road to Long Trail brewery. Another lodging option is the Caladonia State Park with hiker sites. Just 1/2 mile to shops on Rt 4 with large convience store & liquor store attached right next to Killington PO.
    • Advil just stopped by with some awesome brownies his wife made and then Matt (section hiker from Massachusetts we met at upper goose) came by with some microbrews! ! Trail magic off the trail.
      Images
      • 1433815282939.jpg

90.98 kB, 800×480, viewed 285 times
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

upper goose pond is unbelievable. It is a must see. Yes pan akes and coffee in am. We did another 20+ and are in Dalton as we realized we had not had a shower since new jersey. Can you say stink stank stunk? Enjoying a Massachusetts beer. Lol
      Wow, you have already made my goal destination for this summer! Of course it will take me at least 2 weeks to get to Harpers Ferry, but you are really moving. Thanks for sharing all of the information and keep having a great time. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Advil just stopped by with some awesome brownies his wife made and then Matt (section hiker from Massachusetts we met at upper goose) came by with some microbrews! ! Trail magic off the trail.
      Is that Matt the Merchant Marine? if so, met him in Pa. couple years ago, enjoyed the conversation at the "Jail House" in Palmerton.
    • we stopped in Cheshire yesterday and while at the deli the bottom fell out. So we decided to stay at the church. When we got there a 20 something was smoking a joint at the door. He shall be referred to as Moron. Moron then proceeds to bang on the piano for an hour. The he leaves with his three 20 something partners. After 9pm the morons return all rowdy, everyone else is asleep. Moron decides he will play the piano again. About the fourth note I had grabbed him by the shoulder and let him know there would be no piano. Him and his drunk friends had a loud and animated 30 minutes discussion before leaving to get more drunk. They never came back. All their gear was still on the floor in the morning. I guess they got in some trouble with the law.its these types that ruin it for the rest of us. More later time for shower and beer.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • PartII:
      ok I woke up at 4am and the morons were staying in a private room in the corner of the the church. The light was still on and it was lighting up the big room where we were. So I hobbled on over and WTF there was no one there just all their sh*t. So I closed the door. 6:00 and we were out and headed to Dunkin. We topped Graylock around noon and with my foot aching I got a bag of ice (dual purpose) after ordering a cheeseburger. We got a couple of paper cups and put some of the ice in them and the rest on my foot.
      You see Slingshot and I had hauled beers from Dalton over the mountain to Chelshire and up Graylock. Now that folks is brew thru dedication. So there we sat at the picnic tables atop Graylock with cheeseburgers and ice cold beers and ice on my foot.lol.
      we then headed down the mountain and are now in Williamstown. Just had mecican food and more beers! Tomorrow Vermont. Damn I like doing it all wrong!
      Images
      • 20150610_120946.jpg

123.82 kB, 800×480, viewed 306 times
      • 20150610_183406.jpg

87.61 kB, 800×480, viewed 285 times
      • 20150610_130852.jpg

104.29 kB, 800×480, viewed 284 times
      • 20150610_130649.jpg

123.59 kB, 800×480, viewed 279 times
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

The post was edited 1 time, last by jimmyjam ().

• we are now in Manchester VT waiting for Snakefoot another member of our brew thru crew that we got separated from a few weeks ago. Here's a sunset picture from stratton pond. A special thank you to Woods Woman and Nicholas and crew for all the trail magic.
      Images
      • 20150613_203253.jpg

64.94 kB, 800×480, viewed 267 times
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

the brew thru crew reunites for beer by the river Manchester. Doing it all wrong and loving it!
      We won't recognize you right side up when you get back.
      its a world turned topsy turvy up here. We keep running into the "Wierd person of the Day". Everyday it gets weirder. Today as we are walking down the sidewalk in Manchester a lady in her late 70s pullsover and asks us if we need a ride. we said no we are just going across the street. She then asks if she can play a dirty song for us- mind you this is after we have been down by the river drinking beer- she proceeds to play this cd about swinging your big boobs around and acting it out. All while pulled over at the sidewalk. I shot a video of it on my camera. What n earth will tomorrow's wierd person do? lol
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

the brew thru crew reunites for beer by the river Manchester. Doing it all wrong and loving it!
      its a world turned topsy turvy up here. We keep running into the "Wierd person of the Day". Everyday it gets weirder. Today as we are walking down the sidewalk in Manchester a lady in her late 70s pullsover and asks us if we need a ride. we said no we are just going across the street. She then asks if she can play a dirty song for us- mind you this is after we have been down by the river drinking beer- she proceeds to play this cd about swinging your big boobs around and acting it out. All while pulled over at the sidewalk. I shot a video of it on my camera. What n earth will tomorrow's wierd person do? lol
      You never know what hippie chicks will do.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

That's what they said about you.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

that's got all the makings of its very own thread...keep em comin'
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I think she was offering a different kind of ride.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Real trail magic!
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Real trail magic!
      She's just trying to raise their spirits.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Real trail magic!
      She's just trying to raise their spirits.
      or something else lol.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • We have decided to take our first zero today to rest my foot and hopefully let it heal. I bruised a bone on the top/side of it back n Connecticut and it has been hurting and swelling everyday. This morning it was still puffy so it was a no brainer. Plus its raining and this place is so nice and has ben and jerrys ice cream.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference