Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

AWOL on the Appalachian Trail by David Miller

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Just so you all know, I googled “A.W.O.L. On the Appalachian Trail +whining” and this thread was the first search result that wasn’t an amazon.com ad.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • I guess I have to give HikerBoy credit for making a thread I created popular.

I will always remember Danny Ainge saying there is only one letter difference between whiner and winner. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Just reread the previous posts, it was actually BirdBrain with the whining posts for the search engine. HikerBoy just didn't like the book.

Miss both of those guys. At least I know where to find HB, no clue what ever happened to BB or where to find him.

Would be awesome to meet up with old BirdBrain when I am in ME next summer.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I hate whiners! I went to my 50 year high school reunion this year, one of the guys and I were reminiscing about basketball games we had when we were in our twenties, he coached there and had a key to the gym, we played a combo of basketball/football, no blood no foul, I was going for a lay up once and he hit me with a cross body block that sent me across the gym, that was okay, I got my shots too, we thought it was just great that we could beat the hell out of each other without whining and then go drink beer together...we both had the same attitude, give me your best shot but don't whine when you get it back.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • A few years ago I reunited with a guy whom I used to play BB with in a similar fashion. After HS we went separate ways and lost contact. By extraordinary chance, we reunited a couple of years ago and now hike together when possible. However he now brings his guide dog as he was blinded in Afghanistan.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I downloaded the AWOL on the AT audiobook for my drives between PA and OH. If was significant for me because I started my section hikes in 2003 - the same year that AWOL was hiking.

The book got me out to Cincinnati and back to central PA while he hiked from Springer to White House Landing. If I would have skipped a phone call or two, I would have 'finished' the trail.

For me, the narration was a walk down memory lane, remembering shelters, views, climbs and town visits from the last 17 years. When he mentioned a tough climb, I found myself nodding. Looking forward to my next drive so I can finish the last 70 miles.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Another part of the book that had me laughing was when the author's wife flew up to hike with him in Massachusetts. As he recounted passing 15 miles on their first day together with a goal of over 20 miles, I found myself saying out loud "No! You don't push a new hiker for big miles on the first day!" Then he opted to tarp tent at the Shaker campsite south of Tyringham. Again, I said out loud "No! Not that mosquito-infested site! Are to trying to get your wife to divorce you?"

And then I laughed when the author admitted his judgement mistakes. Made me feel better about yelling at my car speakers...

Finished the audiobook last Sunday while my wife was in the car. I think she got an appreciation for what it will mean to me when I eventually summit Katahdin.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard