Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Podcasts....

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TrafficJam wrote:

Foresight wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Foresight wrote:

POD gets on my nerves, I can only take so much of that one at a time.
      I like her.
      I don't dislike her, I just get the impression that she, subconsciously or otherwise, has a self imposed inferiority complex and feels the need to justify her involvement in some of the conversations when it's simply not warranted (the inferiority, not the involvement). That and she's a bit of a butt-insky and seems to get a bit perturbed when the conversations take a path she doesn't want to go down.Just my assessment :D
      Interesting perspective, I just thought it was her role to keep the program on track.
      Look around.....do hiker conversations ever stay on a particular track??? :D
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • I've been listening to Wrath of the Khans on Hardcore History, recommended by Foresight. It's an excellent podcast that's fascinating and thought provoking. The brutality is a bit rough for me but I can't stop listening. I nearly finished the series in one sitting. Thanks Foresight.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Dammit man, it all came clear on the way to work tonight when I was listening to an earlier Trail Show podcast; she's a teacher. I get it now, she can't help herself :D

Disclaimer: I'm married to a teacher, most of my friends are married to teachers, most of my wife's family are teachers, a good number of my family are teachers....I KNOW teachers, lol.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Just noticed this thread.

If anyone wants an insiders perspective that may or may not be true as it just my opinion...but I think we (TTS) all have different thoughts going into the show.

Mike (D-low) is happy to get a night out from Dad/husband duty. Drink delicious craft beer and kick back with some friends. Can't say i blame him... Of the four of us, I think he is the most well known personality at least among the listeners.

Disco, I think, wants to make a long term project of the TTS. It is his baby.

Felicia (POD), enjoys the "hiking lifestyle" talk more so than the outdoors and issue talk.

Me? I readily admit I tend to waxing the purple. Like the outdoors and issues talk with some nonsense and lifestyle talk rather than a lot of nonsense and lifestyle talk with some outdoors talk. I'm not really tied into thru-hiking as a goal itself either.

And occasionally these different goals clash...or perhaps add dynamism and balance to the show. For whatever reason, people seem to listen to it....
    • PaulMags wrote:

Just noticed this thread.

If anyone wants an insiders perspective that may or may not be true as it just my opinion...but I think we (TTS) all have different thoughts going into the show.

Mike (D-low) is happy to get a night out from Dad/husband duty. Drink delicious craft beer and kick back with some friends. Can't say i blame him... Of the four of us, I think he is the most well known personality at least among the listeners.

Disco, I think, wants to make a long term project of the TTS. It is his baby.

Felicia (POD), enjoys the "hiking lifestyle" talk more so than the outdoors and issue talk.

Me? I readily admit I tend to waxing the purple. Like the outdoors and issues talk with some nonsense and lifestyle talk rather than a lot of nonsense and lifestyle talk with some outdoors talk. I'm not really tied into thru-hiking as a goal itself either.

And occasionally these different goals clash...or perhaps add dynamism and balance to the show. For whatever reason, people seem to listen to it....
      I have trouble figuring out who is talking. I recognize your voice part of the time but the other two are difficult for me.

I think it's a good balance. I like the philosophical/lifestyle discussions.
    • JimBlue wrote:

I watch some youtube videos, but I haven't watched much in the way of podcasts. Don't watch the same tv shows every day... so unlikely I would watch podcasts of the same show every day or week.
      Jim, podcasts are audio only, no video. They're good to listen to when you're doing busy work. I have a podcast app and can find tons of interesting things to listen to on any subject.
    • Just downloaded an app and a couple of episodes. App is supposed to help with YouTube too so may work it out and post a few more video segments.
      Mags maybe one day you and your show can do a bit on the Bibbulmun.....
      I successfully chat in Facebook messenger phone option with people in the USA so it should be feasible.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • started a couple new podcasts recently.

seincast. i thot i was a huge seinfield fan, but these 2 guys put me to shame. seinfeld was a half hour show - which translates to about 22 minutes of actual show - and these guys discuss one show per episode and take about and hour and a half to do so. getting thru this is gonna take some time.

here's the thing with alec baldwin. hate his politics and except for 30 rock not particularly a fan, but i enjoy his interviews of actors, artists, and others (george stephanopoulous yesterday). i don't listen to everyone, i pick and choose based on the guest. downloaded all of them and deleted more than half without listening. this is like an episode evey couple of weeks once i get thru the backlog.
      2,000 miler
    • guess i should go ahead and mention the 2 podcasts that i've listened to for years and will continue to do so as long as they are produced. others come and go, but these are my regulars.

clark howard. his daily 2 hour radio show takes about a little over an hour via podcast once the ads and news are stripped out. i listen to podcasts at 1.5 speed so that 2 hour block of time on the radio is about 45-50 minutes.

pardon the interruption (pti). its not destination tv, but if i'm home at 5:30 or 6:30 i turn on the tv and watch pti on espn. no biggie if i miss it, i just catch it the next day via podcast. don't get the videos, but if something sounds compelling you can usually find it on your tube or elsewhere. that 30 minute show is like 22 minutes normal speed and 15 minutes at 1.5 speed.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

started a couple new podcasts recently.

seincast. i thot i was a huge seinfield fan, but these 2 guys put me to shame. seinfeld was a half hour show - which translates to about 22 minutes of actual show - and these guys discuss one show per episode and take about and hour and a half to do so. getting thru this is gonna take some time.

here's the thing with alec baldwin. hate his politics and except for 30 rock not particularly a fan, but i enjoy his interviews of actors, artists, and others (george stephanopoulous yesterday). i don't listen to everyone, i pick and choose based on the guest. downloaded all of them and deleted more than half without listening. this is like an episode evey couple of weeks once i get thru the backlog.
      While I found Seinfeld funny at times, I always considered it much ado about nothing. Sounds like the podcast may take that to a new level. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

started a couple new podcasts recently.

While I found Seinfeld funny at times, I always considered it much ado about nothing. Sounds like the podcast may take that to a new level. :)
      absolutely!

2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

did you stick around long enough to catch the series when george worked for the yankees? lotta good baseball humour druing that period with cameos by several actual ballplayers and making fun of steinbrenner.
      2,000 miler
    • "the way i heard it" by mike rowe the dirty jobs guy.

5 minute or so podcasts for "those with a curious mind and a short attention span." if ya liked paul harvey's "the rest of the story" you'll like this podcast as it is done in the same manner. an interesting story and then at the very end you find out who he's talking about and its ususally a surprise. i discovered this yesterday and listened to all of them released so far (seven or eight) on my hike. this one stays in the rotation.

ETA: lol, had to spell out "eight" becasue the "8" became a smiley face when posted.
      2,000 miler
    • PaulMags wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I'm behind on the Trail Show. Downloaded the current one this morning and will listen tomorrow. It sounds like a good one cuz Disco and P.O.D are hiking the Te Araroa.
      The first half was tough for them. The second half they enjoyed. The 2nd part is coming out the 20th. So good timing.
      Absolutely loved this episode. The honesty about how much their hike sucked is refreshing and is one of the first episodes of the Trail Show that I could really identify with, especially POD's comments about feeling broken, having felt that way several times.

I'm not happy about them not enjoying their hike but I'm glad they didn't gloss over it. Sometimes I feel we only talk about how great hiking is when we all know that's not the case...we just don't want to sound like whiners because we're supposed to be grateful that we're out there when others can't be.

I also loved hearing about the international hikers and about gear. I know the motto is less gear more beer but that was interesting and enlightening. Can't wait for part 2.
    • What I found interesting is the American long-distance hiker mindset (Have to connect very footsteps on this arbitrarily defined trail) vs the International trekkers mindset (I'm on holiday. Why the hell do I want to walk a road? Screw it. I'm hitching)

Either method has validity. The differences, to me, were interesting.
    • PaulMags wrote:

What I found interesting is the American long-distance hiker mindset (Have to connect very footsteps on this arbitrarily defined trail) vs the International trekkers mindset (I'm on holiday. Why the hell do I want to walk a road? Screw it. I'm hitching)

Either method has validity. The differences, to me, were interesting.
      I agree. The difference in gear was interesting also. It made me think about the opportunities an enterprising, cottage company could have if they focused on the European market.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

The trail show

NPR's Wait Wait, don't tell me.

Serial - (one of the most popular podcasts ever)

Sometimes:
      RadioLab
      This American Life
      Freakinomics Radio
      The episode "Fiasco" on This American Life was great! Also listen to Radiolab. Will check out Serial and Freakanomics

Recommend:
      Ted Talks (you can sort by most popular, which are really good)
      Ted Radio Hour
      The Moth
      Reveal News
    • escapee wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

The trail show

NPR's Wait Wait, don't tell me.

Serial - (one of the most popular podcasts ever)

Sometimes:
      RadioLab
      This American Life
      Freakinomics Radio
      The episode "Fiasco" on This American Life was great! Also listen to Radiolab. Will check out Serial and Freakanomics
      Recommend:
      Ted Talks (you can sort by most popular, which are really good)
      Ted Radio Hour
      The Moth
      Reveal News
      There is an episode of this American life called "The giant pool of money." I work in banking and whenever someone asks me to explain the 2008 mortage crisis I simply point them to that episode and tell them that listing to it will give them a better understanding of what happened than 95% of the population.

m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-a…5/the-giant-pool-of-money

I'm not huge into Ted talks only because they have a very overly-motivated West coast Entrepreneur vibe to them that doesn't suit my personality. That said, there is a great one by Chris McDougall about the theory that humans really were designed to run insane distances and it was the advantage that led to out success. (It you hang out here for a while you'll notice that I post this one a lot)

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.