Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Podcasts....

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I have really enjoyed Deep Cover: The Drug Wars from Pushkin Industries (Malcolm Gladwell's company). 8 of the 9 part series will drop tomorrow. Resisted posting earlier so you would not be stuck waiting for the new one to drop each week (like I have been the past five weeks), and can binge listen if you want.

About under cover FBI agent Ned Timmons in Detroit that starts with biker gangs, go through various parts of the US, and then works it way up to world leaders.

I have found it be really good if you like things like that. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

I have really enjoyed Deep Cover: The Drug Wars from Pushkin Industries (Malcolm Gladwell's company). 8 of the 9 part series will drop tomorrow. Resisted posting earlier so you would not be stuck waiting for the new one to drop each week (like I have been the past five weeks), and can binge listen if you want.

About under cover FBI agent Ned Timmons in Detroit that starts with biker gangs, go through various parts of the US, and then works it way up to world leaders.

I have found it be really good if you like things like that. :thumbup:
      Oh, I left out the rock stars and movie stars.
    • Astro wrote:

Mike Rowe this year has added an extended discussion after the How I Heard podcast. The actual story is still around 5-8 minutes, but then he goes on an extra 10 minutes or so about how he came up with or decided to do it. I like it, but if you don't you can just listen to the story and skip it. :)
      Now in support of the chapters his new book Mike Rowe is doing ~40 minute podcast which include discussion with his childhood friend who produces the podcast.
    • Astro wrote:

Started listening to Trail Tales. Don't care much for the host, but the guests are really interesting. Currently 77, they run around an hour, and he drops one nearly every week, so it will keep me going for a while.
      Since I caught up with Trail Tales I have also started listening to Hiking Thru where I am about 7 months in (to June 2019). Very interesting contrast with Trail Tales where it is more like a Frat boy atmosphere, while Hiking Thru host is more laid back like a west coast coffee shop.

Trail Tales host though is much more knowledgeable having done the AT, LT, NLPT, Foothills and hiked all over the Whites and Adirondacks.The Hiking Thru host is not near as knowledgeable about hiking, and especially the east coast, but is much more mature and a better host. She has lived her entire life it appears on the West Coast and I believe her purpose of starting the podcast was to prepare for a PCT hike while turning 50 in 2020.I assume Covid wrecked that, but I have not gotten to 2020 yet (but it appears she is still dropping weekly episodes).
    • I listen to Backpacking Light podcasts and enjoyed #35, the interview with Les Stroud and #36, Salamander Song.

Salamander Song is, “a love letter to the soggy, squelchy, perpetually socked-in Great Smoky Mountains.” I think Andrew Marshall hits the nail on the head in his description of hiking in the Smokies. I had some LOL moments. The description of his hiking partner repeatedly mumbling, “We go up, we go down, we cross a stream. We go up, we go down, we cross a stream.” Sounds real familiar!

However, his perspective about the South is hard to listen to and one which I can’t agree with (and that’s ok).

(I initially wrote a long paragraph about what he says and how I feel about it but deleted all of it, deciding this isn’t the place for it. Y’all can listen and form your own opinion.)
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• IMScotty wrote:

Uggh, you made me listen to it.

Like you I started typing something up and then deleted it. Nothing I can say can fix this. It just makes me sad.
      His heart is in the right place and his perspective is interesting but there’s so much missing. The south is a culturally rich and diverse part of this country.

Oh well, it gave me something to think about yesterday and helped me examine my own feelings which is always a good thing!

Dolly Parton...that woman is a legend and as far as East Tennesseans go, her career has never ebbed nor had to experience a resurgence. She will always be #1 to us. I can’t think of any other personality whom I admire more. Her social programs and philanthropy have touched many lives. My favorite is the Imagination library. Since 1995, every single child born in Tennessee gets a free book each month until they start school. Over a million children have benefited and the program has spread to other states. To be able to positively touch that many young lives is incredible.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Traffic Jam ().

• I'm not sure throwing an entire region under the bus so you can virtue signal to your west coast and publishing friends what a 'woke' person you are qualifies as having your heart in the right place. But, maybe I'm being too harsh.

Once while describing some of my travels, I actually had someone tell me that they would never consider traveling through the racist south. The lack of self-awareness is astounding to me. They proudly promoted the same type of behavior that they claim to hate. Unfortunately, this type of regional bigotry and elitist attitude is all too common.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • That’s exactly what I wanted to say but don’t want to end up in another book, lol! I changed my post three or four times, trying to make it more diplomatic. :)

eta... the story is great, he should have kept his social commentary out of it. I hike to get away from all that political and social crap.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Traffic Jam ().

• IMScotty wrote:

I'm not sure throwing an entire region under the bus so you can virtue signal to your west coast and publishing friends what a 'woke' person you are qualifies as having your heart in the right place. But, maybe I'm being too harsh.

Once while describing some of my travels, I actually had someone tell me that they would never consider traveling through the racist south. The lack of self-awareness is astounding to me. They proudly promoted the same type of behavior that they claim to hate. Unfortunately, this type of regional bigotry and elitist attitude is all too common.
      There is a reason Bill Russell always said he played for the Celtics and not Boston.
    • Currently listening to Ologies with Alie Ward while furiously knitting (painstakingly slow knitting)

(Cant remember if someone has posted on it before and too busy to check.)

Each episode is about a different ‘ology. I listened to one about oology (eggs) yesterday and today is ursinology (bears).