Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

RV Camping

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I got back from the beach on Tuesday and hooked up to the camper the following morning to take my wife, mother in law,
      6 nieces and nephews, and one cousin camping at Rock creek Park. We had great weather for all five days. They enjoyed the hiking trails too! They wanted to hike all the way up to Unaka but I made them turn back.

Does anyone else camp without a tent?
      Images
      • image.jpg

108.55 kB, 450×600, viewed 233 times
      • image.jpg

126.6 kB, 450×600, viewed 289 times
    • My wife and I have a '71 VW bus that we've camped in.
      It certainly doesn't compare to a modern RV or even a pop-up trailer but it keeps the weather off our head.
      On my days off I'll have to see if I have any photos.
      It's more rust than metal at this point, so I don't know how much longer we'll have it.
    • LIhikers wrote:

My wife and I have a '71 VW bus that we've camped in.
      It certainly doesn't compare to a modern RV or even a pop-up trailer but it keeps the weather off our head.
      It's more rust than metal at this point, so I don't know how much longer we'll have it.
      I heard they are coming out with a new VM bus. My roommate had one I love driving that thing, it would turn on a dime and scare the hell outta everyone, ya had to all move to one side or it felt like it would tip over...and changing a belt on a VW was so easy...
    • LIhikers wrote:

One of the fondest memories of childhood that I have is the cross country trip the family took in the summer of 1979 in an orange VW pop up camper.

Looking back now I know that it was probably a hard time for my parents. My mother's dad had recently died and we were using the trip to move Grandma Kraft to Washington State to live with family. And my dad's mother had terminal cancer. But as an 8/9 year old child I never really understood any of the pain. It was magical summer.

We left Virginia for Tennessee and spent time with dad's family and Meme. I fondly remember early mornings making and baking biscuits with her. I liked making them in the shape of people. And we always had honey with the comb in the jar.

We then traveled to Illinois to pick up grandma and move her to Washington. Thirty-five years later it's all kind if a blur. But we made the trip just zig zagging across the country hitting all the touristy places and camping at KOA campgrounds.

We would spend a couple weeks getting to Washington, spent a month with my mom's sister and seeing Seattle, Mt Rainier and Mt Hood. While there Meme passed -- the day before my birthday -- and dad went home.

Finally with the end if the summer we packed up the a VW camper and trekked a couple weeks back home hittin all those places we didn't see before.

I think about that summer often and that orange VW camper. I was recently cleaned out a dresser and found a box full of the old Super 8 movies with many made during that summer -- there's even one labeled Vincent's first BD. I now need to find a projector.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • We've got a 26.5' travel trailer and are looking to upgrade to a 40-44 foot 5th wheel. Just did an open house at a dealer this past weekend. Looking for something for long term stays.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • LIhikers wrote:

During the summer we often go to a local county park that has camping.
      We're usually the only ones in a tent, our Tarptent Rainshadow II
      There's nothing quite like the sound of multiple generators as you're trying to fall asleep at night X(
      started off taking the kids car camping at state parks. i was really surprised how "camping" at a state park has come to mean "rv camping" and not "tent camping".
      2,000 miler
    • LIhikers wrote:

Anyone with a '71 VW bus has got to be one cool dude...you just need hair like Willy Nelson to look proper in it.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Starcraft pop up back in the seventies... just about everything in the movie Summer Vacation and the Griswald's. We went all over the west... including forgetting the dog attached to the bumper... Louise a beagle mix managed to keep up with the car across the parking lot until horrified campers flagged my dad down. She made it.[IMG:http://www.themoviebanter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Vacation.jpg]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • milkman wrote:

We've got a 26.5' travel trailer and are looking to upgrade to a 40-44 foot 5th wheel. Just did an open house at a dealer this past weekend. Looking for something for long term stays.
      Ours is 32' I think. A few of us in the family pooled our money in on it about ten years ago. The wife and I are looking to down grade to a smaller size. We've been looking at the 20'-24'er's with the slide out. We still have two years or so to go before we get it. .. If I were upgrading I would definitely go with a fifth wheel.

grayblazer wrote:

We go car camping at all the AT Gaps where the mountain roads cross the trail.

DMAX, if you follow the Indian Grave Gap road all the way over Unaka you will find one of my favorite car camping spots on the stream right before the highway. Peace out.
      I bet your talking about the spot right by the road with the small waterfall. I've camped there a couple of times. There is also a spot above red fork falls that's about 100 yards off the road, but has a lot of broken glass.
    • When I was a young kid my dad worked for Starcraft. He bought a pop up and we hooked it up to the country squire and headed for Canada. It rained, rained, and rained. The camper leaked, leaked, leaked. When we got home him parked it infront of starcrafts door and quit his job. He went down the road and got a job with coachman. He bought a class "c" and within a few years we moved to Arizona and a few years later to the desert of California. I used to love looking out the window that was over the cab. I feel like I've seen every national park, state park, local attractions and parking lots west of Colorado.

When we moved out west my dad had finished ceminary and became an episcopal minister. If we were headed to a far off destination we would sometimes pull into a church parking lot at sundown and hook up to electric. We'd then be on the road really early the next morning. This was a lot faster than campgrounds when it needed to be fast. The only parking lot we didn't ask permission to stay we got kicked out of, Disneyland.