Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Summer clothing for AT

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Summer clothing for AT

In trying to keep my pack weight as low as possible, I'm not taking extra clothes if I can help it. Starting in WV in June and hiking NOBO, will I be ok with all summer clothes with maybe one fleece shirt as the exception? Some folks say to bring warm layers anyway, but are they actually needed this time of year in higher elevations? Please tell me I don't have to lug that damn bulky down coat around like I have been.
      My summer clothes include a layer of Under Armor compression wear for hot weather, a pair of zip off pants and a polyester t-shirt.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.

The post was edited 1 time, last by twistwrist ().

• Add something like a Patagonia Capilene 3 quarter zip pullover, smartwool liner gloves and a smartwool liner beanie. With these plus your listed clothing and rain gear you should be good down to about 30 degrees.

Add more gear when you get to New Hampshire.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • It's my experience that once you hit Vermont you'll need something a little warm to sleep in if you're still using a summer sleeping bag or quilt.
      And we got an August snowstorm going over Mt. Moosilauke in New Hampshire so, be prepared.
      Rasty has made a good suggestion but I'd add light weight long underwear to sleep in.
    • That really answered my question at its heart which was when will it be cold enough to actually need the warm clothes layer? I have camped in cold temps around 20 degrees, and I'm definitely layered and usually even have a sleeping bag liner along with my sleeping quilt.

I know if I were starting out at Springer as I had originally planned, I'd probably take nothing warm other than a fleece shirt, rain jacket, and a hat, but starting farther north, I'm a bit more "out of my element".

Can you list the exact clothing you would bring on a NOBO AT hike starting in WV on June 4?
      I'm thinking:
      Base layer for hiking - warm weather compression gear to ward off bugs
      Zip-off pants for hiking
      Polyester t-shirt for hiking

Pair of shorts and tank top for camp

Cold weather compression bottoms and shirt for sleeping
      Fleece shirt
      Balaclava
      Glove liners

I can have warmer stuff sent to me along the way as needed. How cold do the Whites, for example, get during August?

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • here's what I have right now in PA: worn zipoffs, ss smartwool shirt, ball cap. Sleeping/town: ss shirt and shorts. Also silk long john top and bottom, ls smartwool shirt, light synthetic vest, wind pants and wind shirt. Socks. Wool watch cap.wool liner glovers and wp overmittens. Parcho for rain gear. It has beeb 80 to 85 daytime and 50 to 75 night time.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • twistwrist wrote:

That really answered my question at its heart which was when will it be cold enough to actually need the warm clothes layer? I have camped in cold temps around 20 degrees, and I'm definitely layered and usually even have a sleeping bag liner along with my sleeping quilt.

I know if I were starting out at Springer as I had originally planned, I'd probably take nothing warm other than a fleece shirt, rain jacket, and a hat, but starting farther north, I'm a bit more "out of my element".

Can you list the exact clothing you would bring on a NOBO AT hike starting in WV on June 4?
      I'm thinking:
      Base layer for hiking - warm weather compression gear to ward off bugs
      Zip-off pants for hiking
      Polyester t-shirt for hiking

Pair of shorts and tank top for camp

Cold weather compression bottoms and shirt for sleeping
      Fleece shirt
      Balaclava
      Glove liners

I can have warmer stuff sent to me along the way as needed. How cold do the Whites, for example, get during August?
      It isn't that uncommon to even get snow in the Whites even in summer at high elevation. With a 4-6,000 elevation gain alone can acount for 14-30 degree drop in temperature before figuring wind chill. In nasty conditions just stay low, or hunker down for a day. The two ridges above treeline (Presidentials & Franconia are awesome on nice days & miserable in bad weather.
    • twistwrist wrote:

i was at mt washington early september and an all day overcast and drizzle day turned into snow and winds over 100mph.

this is why you get your cold weather gear sent to you prior to the whites. most people say glencliff; i recommend hanover as the trail goes thru town and they have a post office there. its a neat town; going to the post office gives you an excuse to spend some time there. :)
      2,000 miler
    • Sounds like most of you are agreeing I could start out the first few weeks as planned with the addition of a pair of long johns top and bottom for sleeping.
      Y'all are awesome! Thanks for helping me "do it wrong"! I'm in damn good company. ;)

• Up to Mass. your biggest problems will be heat and humidity.
      In Mass you might want long sleeves to fend off the mosquitoes.
      Vermont might be cold at night if you spend nights at elevation.
      Farther north, get your warm stuff sent to you.
      We crossed Lafayette ridge one summer in winds so strong you had to lean into it to walk forward and it was in the 50s, maybe 40s, so it seemed really cold.
      Kathy and I went up Moosilauke in a snow storm in August.
      Our first time on Mt. Washington, in an August, it was howling wind and cold temperatures.
      The weather was bad enough to keep most of the tourists off the mountain.
      I think you get the picture.
    • it's also worth mentioning that hypothermia isn't necessarily a winter thing...in fact it's more common in warmer temps.

Hypothermia in summer: The storms of 8/3/2002

By Kevin Ambrose
      voices.washingtonpost.com/capi…a_in_summer_the_thun.html
      [IMG:http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang/images/lightning_monument_web.jpg]
      A stationary thunderstorm south of Alexandria on Aug. 1, 2002. The storm produced flooding rain, hail, and wind gusts up to 50 mph near Mount Vernon. As I took this photo from Constitution Avenue, I had no idea that two days later I'd be pinned down by similar thunderstorms during a fishing trip on the James River.
      More people die from hypothermia in summer than in winter. Subfreezing temperatures are not a requirement for hypothermia to occur. All that is needed is for weather conditions or water temperatures to lower one's core body temperature below 95°F. This can happen in the summer, when people are less prepared for cold conditions.
      If I would've read the paragraph above before Aug. 3, 2002, I probably wouldn't have paid too much attention. We all know that heat and humidity is more often the rule than the exception in our region; even our area's rivers and lakes usually warm to comfortable levels by late summer. Well, on Aug. 3, 2002, I learned first-hand that even during summer, hypothermia can be as dangerous a threat as heat. As I found out, a slow-moving or stationary thunderstorm can output an amazing amount of ice-cold rain, hail and gusty winds.
      Keep reading for a weather tale of extreme heat, hypothermia-inducing cold, severe weather and a few smallmouth bass -- all in the same afternoon...

The plan for Aug. 3, 2002, was fairly simple. My friend, Rick, was going to pick me up in his truck about 9 a.m. and we would load my 14-foot aluminum fishing boat into the open bed and drive just south of Charlottesville, Va., to the James River. We would fish for a few hours at my favorite college fishing hole and then spend the night in Charlottesville, hitting a few bars near the University of Virginia, my alma mater.
      [IMG:http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang/images/aug2002temps_web.jpg]
      As we headed south on Rt. 29, the morning heat was stifling. Rick had no air conditioning in his "vintage" truck and every time we stopped at a traffic light we would instantly break into a sweat. The forecast included a heat advisory for the area, with highs approaching 100 and heat indices near 110. There was also a chance for scattered thunderstorms. We discussed that it might be too hot to fish, particularly at the peak of afternoon heat. Perhaps we could hit the bars early? I reassured Rich that we would spend most of the time swimming and wade fishing in the river, not baking in an aluminum boat. We would be fine.
      When we arrived at the river and unloaded the boat, I noticed the water level was particularly low and I was shocked at the warmth of the river. The river was almost hot, like bath water. It would not make for a refreshing swim and fishing is generally not good with very warm water.
      We used a trolling motor to move the boat about a mile upstream to my old fishing hole. We caught a couple of smallmouth bass as we stood in chest-deep water, casting at the deep holes and eddies. As we fished, I noticed a large cumulus cloud developing almost overhead, just slightly north of our location. It reminded me of the cumulus cloud I watched grow two days earlier, during a photo shoot in Washington. That cloud grew to become a severe thunderstorm, lashing Alexandria and Mount Vernon for over an hour with heavy rain, hail and 50 mph wind gusts. I tried not to worry, since the storm that I watched grow in D.C. missed me by many miles.

As I continued to fish, I couldn't help but stare at the growing cloud overhead. It didn't move much and it was showing no signs of rain or lightning. I thought it might never grow to be a thunderstorm -- wishful thinking. We fished for about 30 minutes and I noticed the cloud was still just to our north, but had grown considerably taller. A rain shaft appeared to be developing from the base.
      I told Rick we may need to move soon. Within a minute, the first lightning bolt came out of the cloud and struck the ground to our north. I counted 5 seconds before hearing the loud thunderclap. The lightning was too close to be in the water. There was a rocky beach nearby and we quickly moved out of the water onto the beach.
      From the beach, we watched the storm develop into a large thunderstorm. It never really moved directly overhead, but just brushed us with periods of moderate rain while most of the lightning stayed to our north. The rain felt refreshing, quite cool, but I was mostly annoyed because the lightning kept us pinned to the beach for about an hour. We were burning precious time waiting on the storm.

Finally, the storm dissipated and the lightning ended. We got back in the boat and headed downstream toward the truck. There was still time to fish on the float back and the cloudy, breezy weather seemed to turn on the fish. We got bite after bite and, for the moment, the storm was forgotten. Then, without warning, a lightning bolt struck to our south.
      I counted three seconds between the bolt and the thunder. Rick and I looked at one another. Was this a stray bolt from the first storm? Then big drops of rain began to fall and another lightning bolt struck in almost the same location. Another storm was developing overhead. We needed to get off the water again.
      There was a small, pebbled shoreline below a steep embankment on the river's edge. It was a perfect location to weather the storm. As we beached the boat and got out on the rocks, the rain increased and the wind began to blow. We heard a roar behind us and the large trees along the river bank seemed to explode as a tremendous wind gust stripped hundreds of small branches and leaves off the trees and blew a shower of green across the river. I wished I had a video camera to catch that scene.
      We were OK, protected from the wind by the steep embankment behind us, and we only had to dodge the small, falling branches. Ultimately, one branch about an inch in diameter struck me directly on top of the head. For a small branch it hurt quite a bit, but did no damage.

The rain fell heavy and cold and we huddled on the rocks. The wind quickly subsided but the rain and lightning took almost an hour to end. We were cold, wet and ready to leave. We got back in the boat and motored downstream. There was still more than a half-mile of river between us and the truck, and we were not moving fast. The trolling motor kept getting tangled in underwater weeds. At this point, we just wanted the fishing trip to end.
      As we pushed downstream, the weather was eerie. The sky was dark and a very chilly wind blew at about 10 to 15 mph. No rain was falling and there was no lightning. It reminded me of an Autumn day, after a Nor'easter or strong cold front passes through the area. But it was early August and we were in the middle of a heat wave. I knew the cold breezes were from a thunderstorm's downdraft, bringing cooler air down from upper levels in the atmosphere. I just hoped the breezes were associated with the departing storm, not a new one.

...click link for the whole article, to long to post here.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Socks: damn, forgot the headline teaser. ().

• Let's talk socks.

I was thinking 2 pair liners, 2 pairs of socks for hiking, and 1 pair of warm nighttime socks. Sound about right? Or should I take an extra pair?

Currently tweaking my supply list...thinking through every item. It's changed a lot since its inception a few months ago. :)

• twistwrist wrote:

Let's talk socks.

I was thinking 2 pair liners, 2 pairs of socks for hiking, and 1 pair of warm nighttime socks. Sound about right? Or should I take an extra pair?

Currently tweaking my supply list...thinking through every item. It's changed a lot since its inception a few months ago. :)
      leave 2 pairs at home would be my suggestion.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • twistwrist wrote:

Let's talk socks.

You'll be glad you have three pair, but they'll only do you good if you keep dry ones (and as clean as possible) on as much as possible. I wash dirt socks in a stream and hang them on the back of my pack to dry. Wet feet = blisters. By the time you get to Fontana you will know what you have that you don't need.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I'm Mountain MIke & I'm a sock addict. I often set out with 4 pairs of socks. With new synthetics I rarely use a liner. My thinking is my feet are doing most of the work & for best results you have to keep the workers happy. I carry enough so I have clean to hike in & sleep in. I got hooked n Thorlo's year ago. Mostly because they sponsered me on my PCT hike giving me 2 dozen pairs for my hike. I was able to rotate them out as the new "spingy feel" got worn out. I actually had a waiting list of who would get my old socks when I got a resupply!

When I took my stepson hiking with me for a few weeks we stopped by their outlet pre trip. I was telling him what he neeeded before the trip & when we talked about socks I told him we would get them on the way. Afterwards he said he though I was crazy untill he tried them.

As a kid I hated gettting socks as a Christmas gift, now a good pair of hiking socks gets high ratings!