Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

LNT Craziness

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 'I found Reese Witherspoon's boot!' Hiker makes 'Wild' find on Mount Hood

<snip>
      In the opening scene of "Wild," Reese Witherspoon sits down at the edge of a cliff and takes off her too-small hiking boots. Her toes are black and bloody, and she pulls off her right big toenail and throws it over the cliff, knocking one of her boots over in the process.
      Exhausted and frustrated, Witherspoon throws the other boot after it while screaming a profanity. It's a cathartic moment, one that drew strong reactions when the movie was released in December.

continue:

oregonlive.com/movies/2015/05/post_71.html
      2,000 miler
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Rasty wrote:

socks wrote:

feral bill wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Things have gotten so bad here on Long Island's trails, and in Harriman State Park, that I've put a pocket on the outside of 2 of my packs just to put all the trash I find into. The usual is bottles, cans, and food wrappers of all kinds. When I used to be a maintainer on the Nassau/Suffolk Trail I once dragged an old, complete motorcycle out of the woods. I'm glad it was downhill to the trailhead!
      I remember decades ago stumbling upon a good sized beer bash in Harriman. When I woke up, everybody was gone, along with any and all trash. Times change, I guess.
      I took a TV outta the woods a couple years ago.
      How long was the cable?
      There was a gas powered generator and a pair of noise canceling headphones attached.
      Crazy thing was this TV was about 2 miles in the woods, very strange. Took me a few trips to get it out over a couple visits. The mice were pissed cause it was a killer mouse condo.
    • max.patch wrote:

'I found Reese Witherspoon's boot!' Hiker makes 'Wild' find on Mount Hood

<snip>
      In the opening scene of "Wild," Reese Witherspoon sits down at the edge of a cliff and takes off her too-small hiking boots. Her toes are black and bloody, and she pulls off her right big toenail and throws it over the cliff, knocking one of her boots over in the process.
      Exhausted and frustrated, Witherspoon throws the other boot after it while screaming a profanity. It's a cathartic moment, one that drew strong reactions when the movie was released in December.

continue:

I rented the movie "Wild" the other night, didn't have a lot of time to watch it, fast forwarded through the city scenes, all I kept seeing was Legally Blonde, lost interest and stopped watching it, Witherspoon was a good cast for Legally Blonde but I couldn't see her at all in this role, believing that someone would go hiking without reading the instructions to assemble the tent and stove got me started wrong with the movie.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Things have gotten so bad here on Long Island's trails, and in Harriman State Park, that I've put a pocket on the outside of 2 of my packs just to put all the trash I find into. The usual is bottles, cans, and food wrappers of all kinds. When I used to be a maintainer on the Nassau/Suffolk Trail I once dragged an old, complete motorcycle out of the woods. I'm glad it was downhill to the trailhead!
      I lived for awhile along the Gulf Coast. A girl friend and I would run the beach a few mornings a week and we would lament on the amount of trash washed onto the beach and left by partiers during the night. Upon the return run she started to pick up trash but would quickly get overwhelmed with the amount.

She began to carry ever larger trash bags in order to corral the litter. Then she would hand a bag to me to assist in the pick up effort. Of course the run deteriorated into an antilitter effort.

I agreed with the concept but not at the expense of the run. However I acquiesced as the relationship benefits were amazing. However I was relieved to a degree when she accepted a job transfer.

We've maintained contact since then and she's reporting continuance of her antilitter campaign.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

<snip>

continue:

I rented the movie "Wild" the other night, didn't have a lot of time to watch it, fast forwarded through the city scenes, all I kept seeing was Legally Blonde, lost interest and stopped watching it, Witherspoon was a good cast for Legally Blonde but I couldn't see her at all in this role, believing that someone would go hiking without reading the instructions to assemble the tent and stove got me started wrong with the movie.
      i thot the movie was boring and a waste of a buck and a half. i'd say wait til its on netflix or tv, but its still a waste of 2 hours of your life.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

<snip>

continue:

i thot the movie was boring and a waste of a buck and a half. i'd say wait til its on netflix or tv, but its still a waste of 2 hours of your life.
      I'm waiting too...for it to hit "after school special" in another 5 or so years.
    • max.patch wrote:

Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

<snip>

continue:

I still haven't seen Wild simply because the DVD my wife bought won't play in our computer. Regardless, My favorite hiking documentary ever is Jester's Wizards of the PCT, which was well worth the $20 I paid for it. I doubly that Sheryl or Reese can hold a candle to it.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Astro wrote:

socks wrote:

looking forward to "A Walk in the Woods" though...I've high hopes.
      It has to be better, of course that is not saying a lot.
      I'll be honest, I loved the book. It was wildly inaccurate but very entertaining and so long as I
      didn't take Bryson's description of the trail very seriously, it was a very enjoyable read.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Astro wrote:

socks wrote:

looking forward to "A Walk in the Woods" though...I've high hopes.
      It has to be better, of course that is not saying a lot.
      I'll be honest, I loved the book. It was wildly inaccurate but very entertaining and so long as Ididn't take Bryson's description of the trail very seriously, it was a very enjoyable read.
      FWIW, I was comparing movies (AWITW v. Wild). I loved Bryson's book and look forward to the movie. It helped introduce me to the AT, even if it was sometimes more humor than accurate, and I have probably have hiked more on the AT now than he did.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Wild was in my view a "chick flick" set in a hiking background. I liked the realism of the sores from the pack etc but overall not my favorite kind of movie.
      A Walk in the Woods I am expecting to be a "Grumpy Old Men" movie set in a hiking background. I expect it to be better because I like that kind of movie better and because the background will be more familiar.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Wild was in my view a "chick flick" set in a hiking background. I liked the realism of the sores from the pack etc but overall not my favorite kind of movie.

A Walk in the Woods I am expecting to be a "Grumpy Old Men" movie set in a hiking background. I expect it to be better because I like that kind of movie better and because the background will be more familiar.
      I could do the lead role in it then.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Wild was in my view a "chick flick" set in a hiking background. I liked the realism of the sores from the pack etc but overall not my favorite kind of movie.
      I am with you on that Oz. I guess that is because we fit the roles of grumpy old men a lot better than chicks. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General