Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

LNT Craziness

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

I've heard of a website forum that went ballistic on a thread about the shells of sunflower seeds.
      That was a fun thread
      Then you remember when it got so heated that people were burning Pop-Tart wrappers in protest.
      I bring sunflower seeds sometimes just to litter on the trail just because if that thread. I don't even like sunflower seeds.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

I've heard of a website forum that went ballistic on a thread about the shells of sunflower seeds.
      That was a fun thread
      Then you remember when it got so heated that people were burning Pop-Tart wrappers in protest.
      I bring sunflower seeds sometimes just to litter on the trail just because if that thread. I don't even like sunflower seeds.
      I've discovered a new found fondness for Pop-Tarts for some reason.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • I am so sick and tired of hearing folks blather on about LNT ethics. It now amounts to a religious dogma that seems to relieve people of their common sense... or let's just repeat the group think, so I can show how in tune I am and use it to beat up everyone else who is not.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tuckahoe ().

• max.patch wrote:

i often eat an apple as i hike. when i'm done i throw the core in the woods. no one can see it from the trail. i was told that was wrong.
      This reminds me of a time we were hiking the Florida Trail and a friend of mine was peeling an orange as he walked and throwing the peels off into the woods as he went. Along comes this girl giving him seven barrels of hell about how he was destroying the balance of nature, the food chain and diet of the animals etc. It couldn't have been a mile more when off in the distance out in the middle of nowhere grows a wild orange tree. My friend asks that girl if she thinks it would be alright if he would throw his orange peels under the tree along with all the other rotted oranges that had fallen to the ground. She said that was different. His was store bought. Then, and this is the kicker, it couldn't have been another mile when we spotted a couple of wild hogs rooting up the trail ahead of us. My friend is quick to point out to the girl that he sure hopes that non-native hog doesn't find any of his orange peels and upsets his diet. Not a peep out of her. It was priceless.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Rasty wrote:

I've heard of people that carry out used toilet paper.
      In the winter time that might not be such a bad idea, or burn it in place.
      When people "bury" their TP in the snow, during winter, it winds up as an ugly mess in spring when the snow melts.
      On a crowded trail here on Long Island, in the spring time, there would be so much TP appear as the snow melts away that you would think it was wild flowers blooming.
      At least if they made rolls of TP with different colors for each sheet it would look more like flowers.
    • milkman wrote:

I used to spit those all over my dorm room floor. Roommate complained though, his feet were not that tough since he had not grown up barefoot in south Florida.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • In my experience, LNT fanatics are usually relegated to being internet trolls or casual day hikers. While I've run into a number of know-it-alls over the years who wanted to tell me how my gear worked (which deserves it's own rant since I almost always had far more experience than them), I have yet to have a run in with a real live LNT fanatic.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I've heard of people that carry out used toilet paper.
      In the winter time that might not be such a bad idea, or burn it in place.When people "bury" their TP in the snow, during winter, it winds up as an ugly mess in spring when the snow melts.
      On a crowded trail here on Long Island, in the spring time, there would be so much TP appear as the snow melts away that you would think it was wild flowers blooming.
      At least if they made rolls of TP with different colors for each sheet it would look more like flowers.
      A snowball is surprisingly effective and refreshing for the purpose, and leaves no flowers in the spring.

Disposing of the rest of the material in frozen ground is also challenging. Getting well off trail and smearing it in a sunny spot, ideally with a southern exposure, is sometimes the best of a lot of bad options. One of these days, the LNT'ers are going to have us all carrying poo tubes the way big-wall climbers do.

P.S. I have no objection to cleaning fish in the water the fish were living in. If I didn't catch them, they'd die there themselves someday. Nature cleans up dead fish effectively. I will also confess that on more than one occasion I've eaten an apple at an overlook and pitched the core off the ledge. I haven't done the 'shot put' (sh!t put?) with food waste after I've eaten it, though.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

That was a fun thread
      I had a woman screaming at me and giving me the flicked finger of fate in my rear view, after tossing an apple core into the brush (that had thorns) she fished it out and attempted to deliver it back to me.... wasn't a trail team or hiking group - just someone following me...My solution? Now I bury the core right in the middle of the trail, stops dirt run off.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • I used to laugh at LNT extremes, because for decades people actually practiced an excellent level of LNT. Unfortunately
      it's extreme is longer funny to me at least they give a crap (or not). I'm picking up trash more and more each year. Now I'd much rather people cared too much. Humans cannot ever seem to get things just right. Maybe the robots will be able to when they take over.
    • My thinking is that if nature makes it and puts it on the ground it's okay for me to put it on the ground. As for the apple core someone had a fit about, they can put it where the sun don't shine. Having said that, fruit trees don't grow on side walks and streets either, but in the woods and fields.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I love those signs that say don't litter and there's garbage all around. I'd like to see a camera installed to catch those throwing it out and then fine them, actually what I'd like to see is beating the hell out of them, but that might hurt their feeling and self worth.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Things have gotten so bad here on Long Island's trails, and in Harriman State Park, that I've put a pocket on the outside of 2 of my packs just to put all the trash I find into. The usual is bottles, cans, and food wrappers of all kinds. When I used to be a maintainer on the Nassau/Suffolk Trail I once dragged an old, complete motorcycle out of the woods. I'm glad it was downhill to the trailhead!
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

When people "bury" their TP in the snow, during winter, it winds up as an ugly mess in spring when the snow melts.
      Where is there still primitive camping on Long Island? Out at the East End somewhere?
      Isnt that anything less than 6 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, and/or 35,000 sq feet?
      How uncivilized
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Where is there still primitive camping on Long Island? Out at the East End somewhere?
      There's no legal, primitive camping on Long Island.
      The key word in that sentence is legal.
      I was referring to a trail that gets very heavy useage year round by day hikers.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

None ( Legal)... Clam Island on the top spit, Hiter Woods State Park. The rest are too small.

Try this instead

longisland.mommypoppins.com/li…ampgrounds-on-long-island
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • LIhikers wrote:

Things have gotten so bad here on Long Island's trails, and in Harriman State Park, that I've put a pocket on the outside of 2 of my packs just to put all the trash I find into. The usual is bottles, cans, and food wrappers of all kinds. When I used to be a maintainer on the Nassau/Suffolk Trail I once dragged an old, complete motorcycle out of the woods. I'm glad it was downhill to the trailhead!
      I remember decades ago stumbling upon a good sized beer bash in Harriman. When I woke up, everybody was gone, along with any and all trash. Times change, I guess.
    • feral bill wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Things have gotten so bad here on Long Island's trails, and in Harriman State Park, that I've put a pocket on the outside of 2 of my packs just to put all the trash I find into. The usual is bottles, cans, and food wrappers of all kinds. When I used to be a maintainer on the Nassau/Suffolk Trail I once dragged an old, complete motorcycle out of the woods. I'm glad it was downhill to the trailhead!
      I remember decades ago stumbling upon a good sized beer bash in Harriman. When I woke up, everybody was gone, along with any and all trash. Times change, I guess.
      I took a TV outta the woods a couple years ago.
    • socks wrote:

feral bill wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

How long was the cable?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

socks wrote:

feral bill wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

How long was the cable?
      There was a gas powered generator and a pair of noise canceling headphones attached.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.