Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Newport, VA - VA42

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Newport, VA - VA42

In October HikerMom picked me up on VA42 that leads to Newport, VA. I was North Bound and had just had to ford over the flooded creek (almost like a swamp). Unfortunately I did not play close attention to where I would need to pick up the trail across the road when I get back on in July. Any advise on where to pick the trail up on the "North" side of the road, and where that is in relation the little bridge (with flooded creek) and gate you come through on the South side?
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Newport, VA - VA42

Astro wrote:

In October HikerMom picked me up on VA42 that leads to Newport, VA. I was North Bound and had just had to ford over the flooded creek (almost like a swamp). Unfortunately I did not play close attention to where I would need to pick up the trail across the road when I get back on in July. Any advise on where to pick the trail up on the "North" side of the road, and where that is in relation the little bridge (with flooded creek) and gate you come through on the South side?

Astro, it sounds like you were just south of Dragon's Tooth. Not sure where you are from, but if you needed a place to stay you could stay at the Four Pines Hostel and then get shuttled to the trail head from there, or if you don't mind skipping a few miles, you could pick up the trail just a 1/4 mile down the road from four Pines which would put you just north of Dragon's Tooth and maybe 5 miles south of MacAfee.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference