Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

General Stove Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Svea
      1. Burns cheap, readily available white gas.
      2. Fairly cheap on Ebay.
      3. Near zero maintenance, replace tank lid every few years, at most.
      4. Reliable in all weather, at least down to -17F.
      5. Lasts for decades. I bought mine in 1968 or so, and have used it regularly since.
      6. Weighs a bit over a pound, similar to other white gas stoves.
      7. Boils water fast. 7 minutes for a liter in my tests.
      8. Simmers, with a little care.
      9. A beautiful art object.
      Downside.
      You need to learn how to use it. Easily done.
      The tank is small. No melting snow for a group

Wonderland Train 2000

She has her own, now.
    • i love the svea. have one that is probably 30 years old and still going strong. however....they are currently manufactured in taiwan rather than sweden. while i have no experience with the taiwan version i've heard it is nowhere as good as the original. and i believe what i hear.
      2,000 miler
    • We've got an alcohol stove for 3 season use and a white gas stove, an MSR Simmerlite, that we use in cold weather,
      In the beginning we didn't know about alcohol stoves and used the Simmerlite year round. It's heavier and not as easy to use as alcohol, but it does the job, and then some.
    • I own alcohol, canister, & several white gas stoves. As someone that cooks more than just rehydrate my white gas stoves get more use. Not the way most people go, nor what I would reccomend for most. Just me & my cravings for really good food even when camping & backpacking. I do have the othe stoves when I do want to go light & fast. it's kinda likw why I have differnt hammers in my toolbox. You don't want a framing hammer to drive a tak & vise versa. I chose what stove depending on group size & menue.
    • For me when three season camping. the canister stove wins over alcohol stoves hands down. Why? For the simple fact that after 15 miles of hiking with a pack, I am not in a state of mind that is sound or careful enough to be trusted to play with a lighter and an open container of flammable liquids at the same time. This may sound like a silly comment but it's the honest truth.

Also, I can get my jetboil to function reliably down to near zero degrees if I fidget with it a bit and babysit the thing. Below zero I probably will have a fire or a borrowed white gas stove.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

For me when three season camping. the canister stove wins over alcohol stoves hands down. Why? For the simple fact that after 15 miles of hiking with a pack, I am not in a state of mind that is sound or careful enough to be trusted to play with a lighter and an open container of flammable liquids at the same time. This may sound like a silly comment but it's the honest truth.
      I can relate to that.
      Just ask my wife, Kathy, how many times I've tipped over our pot and alcohol stove.
      It turns into a flaming fireball.
    • My first overnight trip, I took sterno and some fold-up contraption thing of a pot stand that my dad gave me. It took forever to warm water and never used it again. The other day, I organized my gear and came across the sterno.

Is it a bad idea to empty the fuel out of the can into a baggy and use it to build a fire in winter? Or use it to soak cotton balls like I do Vaseline?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

My first overnight trip, I took sterno and some fold-up contraption thing of a pot stand that my dad gave me. It took forever to warm water and never used it again. The other day, I organized my gear and came across the sterno.

Is it a bad idea to empty the fuel out of the can into a baggy and use it to build a fire in winter? Or use it to soak cotton balls like I do Vaseline?
      I think Sterno is jellied alcohol. Vaseline is petroleum jelly. I'm thinking it is worth a try with a cotton ball or two to see...post pics! ^^
    • TrafficJam wrote:

My first overnight trip, I took sterno and some fold-up contraption thing of a pot stand that my dad gave me. It took forever to warm water and never used it again. The other day, I organized my gear and came across the sterno.

It might be better to leave it in the can. Baggies may not be airtight. Once the alcohol evaporates, the Sterno is useless. I have never tried adding new alcohol to dried out Sterno.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

I just ordered a new one amazon.com/gp/product/B000AXVO…age_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . I normally cook a lot so alcohol stove wasn't practicle. With several consecutive air drops for resupply on the ICT I want to get used to alternatives.
      The stove looks nice enough but what really impresses me is that you're going to be resupplied by air drop.
      I can't wait to see the photos and hear the trip report from this hike.
      If you've got to be resupplied by air drop you must be going way off the grid.
      Have fun and be safe out there.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

I just ordered a new one amazon.com/gp/product/B000AXVO…age_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . I normally cook a lot so alcohol stove wasn't practicle. With several consecutive air drops for resupply on the ICT I want to get used to alternatives.
      I can recommend a couple of combat experienced aircrews.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I can recommend a couple of combat experienced aircrews.
      I can see it now: In coming at 3 o'clock.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Can ya let me know how this one works out for ya? I'm trying to kinda sorta keep track of all the alky stoves...I am sorta leaning that way for my summer kit this year...the benefit is that ethanol is the preferred fuel of Zelph and....well....you know....for medicinal purposes...not me, of course...but...you know...in case any stray topless shelter-masturbating females need medication...just sayin....

• ScareBear wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Testing on hold. Supplier is out of stock & no restock date. Once credited in my account I may re-order from another supplier.
      Might wanna check this out. I've heard the Vargo was hard starting. Also, do NOT get the XE version, from all reviews, it is a POS...

The GSI Ketalist is way better than the Minimalist for speed & efficiency due to the larger diameter.
    • ScareBear wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Testing on hold. Supplier is out of stock & no restock date. Once credited in my account I may re-order from another supplier.
      Might wanna check this out. I've heard the Vargo was hard starting. Also, do NOT get the XE version, from all reviews, it is a POS...

WanderingStovie wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I tried that model with no success and returned it.
      Thanks for the heads up.
    • ScareBear wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Can ya let me know how this one works out for ya? I'm trying to kinda sorta keep track of all the alky stoves...I am sorta leaning that way for my summer kit this year...the benefit is that ethanol is the preferred fuel of Zelph and....well....you know....for medicinal purposes...not me, of course...but...you know...in case any stray topless shelter-masturbating females need medication...just sayin....

If I didn't already have several alky stoves, I'd be buying one from Zelph...nearly bought the venom super stove the other day...and LOVE the Mega Starlyte with lid, what a great idea!
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Well I hope they have a return policy, I bought mine at REI and it went back after a month. Maybe you will do better - skip the Everclear suggestion... your liver & pallet will thank you, and you will avoid trips to the hospital. Do not use Witch Hazel or Isopropal from the Drug Store - they are watered down. Use pure HEET only, Decant it into a squeeze bottle and LABEL it. Remember swallowing one ounce of HEET will KILL you. Everclear just takes longer to die. IF you don't you might wish you had. This post is based in experiences.

Damn the Everclear and use pure corn Squeeze if you have to. (Sorry Bo Peep) Been there done that.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Did a crazy thing and spent a lot of $ on a caldera cone, 900ml ti pot, and the Inferno. I was intrigued with having one system capable of multiple fuel sources, especially the wood burning option.

While the Inferno isn’t required for wood burning, it seems safer and more environmentally friendly than using the caldera cone by itself.

Can’t wait until it arrives.
    • I tested out my new Caldera Cone and Zojin stove this morning, it’s amazing. I poured about 17ml of denatured alcohol into the stove and had a good boil within minutes (didn’t time it).

Stability has been an issue with my favored cooking system and the caldera cone felt extremely stable and easy to use.

I bought the Inferno insert for wood burning but don’t have a safe place for testing it at home.

It’s possible to use the Caldera cone for wood burning without an Inferno but the Inferno insert allows it to burn cleaner which (I think) means less soot.

“The Inferno Insert and grate system, when used in conjunction with the Sidewinder facilitates better air flow and a much cleaner, more complete incineration for your wood fire. In addition to the lower grate system providing air flow under your fire, it also directs additional fresh air above your fire providing an "afterburner" effect giving you more complete combustion.... and like the Ti-Tri Sidewinder....everything fits in your pot!“

I’m also excited because this can help me build fires when it’s cold or damp, something I suck at.
      Images
      • 26AA3C61-EC26-4F53-BF71-E25F1BE7603D.jpeg

278.6 kB, 800×600, viewed 306 times
    • I’ve been using a Trail Designs titanium caldera cone and really like it. With the cone I can use an alcohol stove, a wood burning insert, or a solid fuel (esbit) stove. Having the ability to cook with different fuel-burning options is great because it never fails that something goes wrong and I need a back up.

While hiking the Standing Indian Loop, I used the esbit stove for the first time. It worked great but left such a mess. I didn’t realize that gunk was smeared on the bottom of the pot and it got everywhere when I packed it away. Burning wood also leaves soot on everything which transfers to hands and clothes.

I’m definitely not a clean freak but do try to keep dirt and grime to a minimum so this is bugging me. I need tips on how to keep my stove and accessories clean. My cooking bag looks disgusting. I carry the stove instructions with me because I don’t feel 100% confident yet with these methods but totally ruined them. Also, when unpacking and cleaning, I noticed my cooking gear smelled weird, maybe from the esbit. Is this normal?
      Images
      • 1B23326C-9D0E-457D-AB19-57B396D577FF.jpeg

231.62 kB, 800×600, viewed 211 times
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

I’ve been using a Trail Designs titanium caldera cone and really like it. With the cone I can use an alcohol stove, a wood burning insert, or a solid fuel (esbit) stove. Having the ability to cook with different fuel-burning options is great because it never fails that something goes wrong and I need a back up.

While hiking the Standing Indian Loop, I used the esbit stove for the first time. It worked great but left such a mess. I didn’t realize that gunk was smeared on the bottom of the pot and it got everywhere when I packed it away. Burning wood also leaves soot on everything which transfers to hands and clothes.

I’m definitely not a clean freak but do try to keep dirt and grime to a minimum so this is bugging me. I need tips on how to keep my stove and accessories clean. My cooking bag looks disgusting. I carry the stove instructions with me because I don’t feel 100% confident yet with these methods but totally ruined them. Also, when unpacking and cleaning, I noticed my cooking gear smelled weird, maybe from the esbit. Is this normal?one trick I learned cooking over wood with the scouts was to coat your pots with a bar of soap before heading out. It make clean up a lot easier.
      One trick I learned in the Scouts cooking over a wood fire was to coat your pots with a bar of soap before heading out. It makes them a lot easier to clean. I did have a coffee pot that I only,rinsed off with water & my hand thinking I could bake a nice black finish on it to make it heat faster. My friend ended up taking it home with him after one trip. He brought it back a nice & shiney. Oven cleaner removed two years of my efforts. ;)
    • I have a wood burning Sierra Zip Ztove that I only used on overnight hikes becasue of the soot factor.

When I was in elementary school one summer I camped out in the back yard almost every night and made bacon and eggs every morning for breakfast. I used MM's soap trick and it worked great.
      2,000 miler