Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Things Kids Say on Hike

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Things Kids Say on Hike

A guy writes down the the things that urban kids say while he leads them on nature hikes...

dumpaday.com/funny-pictures/gu…on-a-nature-hike-18-pics/

I thought these were pretty damn funny, especially as I imagined the kids saying them.

It also really reminds me of my experiences at work. These kids do not have broad experiences but they get treated like they are dumb. They're not dumb they just have not been exposed to the wider world and the adults in all aspects if their lives have failed in them in that regard.

One if the most fulfilling things about my job is getting to work with kids and in some way igniting that spark and exposing them in some small way to why an education is important.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • One of the nicest groups of kids we've met on the AT was a group of urban kids out for a 7 day backpacking trip. You know, hoods in the woods kind of group. We camped at the same place as them on their last night and all I can say is they were well mannered, helpful, and just plain great to be around. We left camp before them in the morning and continued on our hiked. We stopped for a break at a road crossing and before long we hear all this whopping and hollering coming down the trail. It was them and their hike ended at this road. All the noise was not because they were done, but because they had just accomplished something that in the beginning sounded impossible to them. They were proud of themselves and I was too! For the ones who had a camera with them I made sure to take group photo. I hope they learned, and remember, that what seems impossible at first is doable if you give it a try.

The post was edited 1 time, last by LIhikers ().

• Tuckahoe wrote:

A guy writes down the the things that urban kids say while he leads them on nature hikes...

dumpaday.com/funny-pictures/gu…on-a-nature-hike-18-pics/

I thought these were pretty damn funny, especially as I imagined the kids saying them.

It also really reminds me of my experiences at work. These kids do not have broad experiences but they get treated like they are dumb. They're not dumb they just have not been exposed to the wider world and the adults in all aspects if their lives have failed in them in that regard.

One if the most fulfilling things about my job is getting to work with kids and in some way igniting that spark and exposing them in some small way to why an education is important.
      very nicely said.
    • I camped with this father/daughter near Hot Springs, they did 19 miles that day, the little girl was still full of energy, the dad was dead, she had a stuffed animal she carried in her pack.
      Images
      • 2012_04080082.JPG

286.24 kB, 800×600, viewed 418 times
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • socks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

socks wrote:

Hey, Somebody gimme some toasts, there's smuckers runnin' out da side of dis tree.
      I think that was my favorite.
      I can honestly say, I've never tried tree sap, but I gotta think it may be sweet like syrup. though it could fossilize in you colon. what would be the diagnosis for that one? :D
      I don't think you'd get it out of your teeth to be able to swallow.

My mom grew up really poor, they pulled tar off the roads and chewed it like gum. Sometimes it'd stick in their teeth and her mom would use turpentine to get it out.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

socks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

socks wrote:

Hey, Somebody gimme some toasts, there's smuckers runnin' out da side of dis tree.
      I can honestly say, I've never tried tree sap, but I gotta think it may be sweet like syrup. though it could fossilize in you colon. what would be the diagnosis for that one? :D
      I don't think you'd get it out of your teeth to be able to swallow.
      My mom grew up really poor, they pulled tar off the roads and chewed it like gum. Sometimes it'd stick in their teeth and her mom would use turpentine to get it out.
      NICE, I like that! :) that's back when Granny's were Granny's.

Wooden ships and iron Granny's...git off my land.
    • socks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

socks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

socks wrote:

I don't think you'd get it out of your teeth to be able to swallow.My mom grew up really poor, they pulled tar off the roads and chewed it like gum. Sometimes it'd stick in their teeth and her mom would use turpentine to get it out.
      NICE, I like that! :) that's back when Granny's were Granny's.
      Wooden ships and iron Granny's...git off my land.
      Those were the days when airplanes were made of wood and the pilot's were made of iron.
      Today the planes are made of iron and the pilots are...................... :cursing:
    • socks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

socks wrote:

Pine sap might taste more like turpentine, you might get a buzzzz though.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Back many years ago, some friends of mine and I were out camping. We didn't have much in the way of money for car gas, so once we got out there, we had to stay.

The following conversation ensued...

"What do you mean did I bring a can opener ? Why didn't you bring one ? Auuugghhh !'.

We wound up walking over to the store out at the lake. Can opener in town cost was under 50 cents. They wanted almost 4 dollars for the same brand ! We bought it.

... after we got back to camp, one of the guys is looking through his pack... and finds a can opener.

Other than that, we had a fun weekened.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

Glad this thread was revived, first time seeing it. Very funny stuff!

My wife works with at-risk inner-city yutes (My Cousin Vinny?) in Cleveland, and her main role is getting them in G.E.D. classes, college classes, or job training programs. But she also gets occasion to take 'em places like the Browns training camp, fairs, and other fun little outings. She's been trying to persuade the organization she works for to allow a weekend camping trip or something similar, but the administration seems to have an extraordinary fear of nature...

"What if it rains?"

"We can't have them sleeping on the ground - we'd get sued!"

"What if one of them dies, we can't put them at risk by having them stay outdoors overnight!"

And many, many more ignorant, irrational responses.

We're leveling off and at least trying to get them to agree to a day-hike for the kids (many of whom are actually 18-21 years old), but the current hurdles are, "Having a trained medical professional on hand", "A well established walking path in one of the local parks", and (of course!) "Wild animals that might hurt or kill one of the kids".

Talk about an uphill battle! Coffee.gif

Anyway, my wife thought that link was hilarious and even had a few of her own to add to the list.

For once I'd just like to hear myself say, "Great job, self! Why don't you just take the day off."
    • g00gle wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

My wife works with at-risk inner-city yutes (My Cousin Vinny?) in Cleveland, and her main role is getting them in G.E.D. classes, college classes, or job training programs. But she also gets occasion to take 'em places like the Browns training camp, fairs, and other fun little outings. She's been trying to persuade the organization she works for to allow a weekend camping trip or something similar, but the administration seems to have an extraordinary fear of nature...

"What if it rains?"

"What if one of them dies, we can't put them at risk by having them stay outdoors overnight!"

We're leveling off and at least trying to get them to agree to a day-hike for the kids (many of whom are actually 18-21 years old), but the current hurdles are, "Having a trained medical professional on hand", "A well established walking path in one of the local parks", and (of course!) "Wild animals that might hurt or kill one of the kids".

Anyway, my wife thought that link was hilarious and even had a few of her own to add to the list.

Interesting. In 1973 we met some inner city kids, from Brooklyn, who recycled metal and had bought their own bus. Outfited it with bunks and a stove. One kid in a wheelchair didn't like the dumbing down of Scouting. He had cooked a meal on an open flame fire for his cooking merit badge.

Their group, and ours, were on our way to the 1973 Scout Jamboree in Pennsylvania.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • On one of our section hikes, in lower New England, we shared a campsite with a group of boys that were part of some program in CT. They described themselves as "hoods in the woods". They were actually a great group to be with and we had a good time sharing stories with them. I enjoyed hearing them tell about their hiking adventure.
      The next day Kathy and I were taking a break at a road crossing and we hear this ruckus coming down the trail and just knew it had to be them. Turns out they were finishing their hike at the road and were cheering their accomplishment. It was great to see them feeling so good about having accomplished something they doubted they could, in the beginning. All of them had a cheap, disposable, camera so I collected all the cameras and took a group photo for each of them. I'm sure that hiking trip was a real confidence builder and life changer for some of them.
    • LIhikers wrote:

On one of our section hikes, in lower New England, we shared a campsite with a group of boys that were part of some program in CT. They described themselves as "hoods in the woods". They were actually a great group to be with and we had a good time sharing stories with them. I enjoyed hearing them tell about their hiking adventure.
      I ran into Hoods in the Woods on the A-T between West Mountain and Bear Mountain once. I was wearing a baseball cap from XYZ-Mart with a bandana, Foreign Legion fashion, to keep the sun off the back of my neck on the West Mountain ridge. One of the kids grunted, "hey! cool hat!" I tipped it to him - he was amazed that I'd just combined a cap with a bandana, and even more puzzled that a man would be wearing a "do rag."
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • g00gle wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

"What if it rains?"

The secret to changing someone's mind is knowing where their mind is at in the first place. Until you understand how they arrive that their thoughts you are indeed fighting "an uphill battle".

Go HERE and read the first two posts, you're a lot closer to helping your wife achieve her desires than you think you are.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.