Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Health insurance woes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• OzJacko wrote:

I can't really say much to all the above.
      But if I had a serious incident requiring urgent medical treatment the cost would not be a concern.
      A number of years ago my daughter had Guillion Barre. 28 days on life support (tracheotomy etc) in Intensive Care.
      Didn't cost us a penny.
      There are definitely issues with your medical system.
      I see you waited until it was 9:00AM EST on a Monday to stir the pot? Well done. :thumbsup:
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Lobbyists have messed up the health care system in the U.S. ACA was going to fix all that, but the lobbyists talked Congress into messing that up.

I have had major eye surgery. Retina surgery on my right eye, $8k. My co-pay was $600. With follow ups with an opthamologist. Those cost me $20 per visit. Left eye retina, had holes in it. Emergency surgery by an opthamologist cost me about $100 co-pay. $20 co-pay for office visits to make sure I was okay. Some office visits were covered by the first big bill.

My cataract surgery on each eye was more expensive. $10k for right eye, $12k for my left eye. Artificial lenses to correct my vision included. I paid $600 for the first one, $800 for the second one. Not all at nce though. Followups, first two were included as part of the surgery costs. After that I paid $20 co-pay.

I know that some health plans are bad news. You pay premiums, but they never pay out to the doctor. These types of bad plans are the ones the ACA was supposed to get rid of. Then the suckers who bought these 'no pay out' medical plans fell for their plans' lies that the plans were good for them. Those are the plans the President said would be reinstated due to demand. The sucker plans.

I think he should have explained how the sucker plans were taking advantage of people and not reinstated them. But with a Do Nothing Congress, they probably told him they wouldn't pass any legislation unless he allowed these sucker plans to go back into effect.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Lobbyists have messed up the health care system in the U.S. ACA was going to fix all that, but the lobbyists talked Congress into messing that up.

I have had major eye surgery. Retina surgery on my right eye, $8k. My co-pay was $600. With follow ups with an opthamologist. Those cost me $20 per visit. Left eye retina, had holes in it. Emergency surgery by an opthamologist cost me about $100 co-pay. $20 co-pay for office visits to make sure I was okay. Some office visits were covered by the first big bill.

My cataract surgery on each eye was more expensive. $10k for right eye, $12k for my left eye. Artificial lenses to correct my vision included. I paid $600 for the first one, $800 for the second one. Not all at nce though. Followups, first two were included as part of the surgery costs. After that I paid $20 co-pay.

I know that some health plans are bad news. You pay premiums, but they never pay out to the doctor. These types of bad plans are the ones the ACA was supposed to get rid of. Then the suckers who bought these 'no pay out' medical plans fell for their plans' lies that the plans were good for them. Those are the plans the President said would be reinstated due to demand. The sucker plans.

I think he should have explained how the sucker plans were taking advantage of people and not reinstated them. But with a Do Nothing Congress, they probably told him they wouldn't pass any legislation unless he allowed these sucker plans to go back into effect.
      You, too, huh? I had the laser done for a retinal tear on Christmas. I was in the doc's office with two other patients - he'd opened up for the three emergency cases. The ophthalmologist said that he'd never repaired three torn retinas on the same day before, much less Christmas! And he says that I have cataract surgery in my future, but it isn't yet the time. At least the surgery isn't likely to bankrupt me. While my plan has a ridiculously high deductible, it at least has an annual out-of-pocket limit.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

But if I had a serious incident requiring urgent medical treatment the cost would not be a concern.
      A number of years ago my daughter had Guillion Barre. 28 days on life support (tracheotomy etc) in Intensive Care.
      Didn't cost us a penny.
      I see you waited until it was 9:00AM EST on a Monday to stir the pot? Well done. :thumbsup:
      10pm on Monday and it was a public holiday here. We get more of those too.
      :thumbup:
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Didn't cost us a penny.
      10pm on Monday and it was a public holiday here. We get more of those too. :thumbup:
      I work for a European company, I couldn't tell you what sort of holidays "Americans" get ;)
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Didn't cost us a penny.
      10pm on Monday and it was a public holiday here. We get more of those too. :thumbup:
      I work for a European company, I couldn't tell you what sort of holidays "Americans" get ;)
      For the past 21 yeas Ive worked in the poorest congressional districts in the country. Surprisingly I have yet to walk into someones apartment that didn't have electricity, heat or running water. Not only that but the residents of these areas all utilize the local hospitals for everything from a "belly ache" to serious medical conditions. They get health care and treatments for every ailment known to man. Im pretty sure they aren't worried about paying for it and or paying one dollar towards it.
      RIAP
    • Yeah, laser surgery on the retina causes buildup in the eye lens... eventully leading to cataracts. I have an artificial lens in each eye. And due to some other things in my right eye, I cannot go into orbit, or say a spacesuit. A sudden drop in pressure, I've been through a hurricane and the pressure drop isn't enough to matter, can loosen one or both of my retinas. So, no space travel, or space station duty, for me.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Didn't cost us a penny.
      For the past 21 yeas Ive worked in the poorest congressional districts in the country. Surprisingly I have yet to walk into someones apartment that didn't have electricity, heat or running water. Not only that but the residents of these areas all utilize the local hospitals for everything from a "belly ache" to serious medical conditions. They get health care and treatments for every ailment known to man. Im pretty sure they aren't worried about paying for it and or paying one dollar towards it.
      The problem is not that they get it for free. The problem is how much you have to pay.
      All western countries have a portion of the population who, rightly or wrongly, get their medical for free. Only in the USA does the middle class pay so much.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Didn't cost us a penny.
      What part of MS was that?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • OzJacko wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Didn't cost us a penny.
      The problem is not that they get it for free. The problem is how much you have to pay.All western countries have a portion of the population who, rightly or wrongly, get their medical for free. Only in the USA does the middle class pay so much.

Drybones wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Didn't cost us a penny.
      What part of MS was that?
      • I agree! Middle class has been getting screwed since the beginning of time
      • Not MS. The 16th congressional district in the Bronx
      RIAP
    • JimBlue wrote:

Yeah, laser surgery on the retina causes buildup in the eye lens... eventully leading to cataracts. I have an artificial lens in each eye. And due to some other things in my right eye, I cannot go into orbit, or say a spacesuit. A sudden drop in pressure, I've been through a hurricane and the pressure drop isn't enough to matter, can loosen one or both of my retinas. So, no space travel, or space station duty, for me.
      The doc saw the cataract before he started zapping the retina. He says that as long as I'm seeing 20/40 or better in that eye, insurance won't pay to have it out, but that eventually I won't see that well, and that'll be the time to operate. I'm at high risk. I've got a family history. Moreover, when I got started in the business, we were unbelievably cavalier about lab hazards, so I've got more (ionizing and non-ionizing) radiation exposure to the head than the average bear. Then again, I don't think I've ever seen a bear in a physics lab.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.