Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

3/4 underquilt

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TrafficJam wrote:

I want to make my own. I understand there are channels on all 4 sides? And the layer of fabric directly under your body is a little smaller than the other two layers?
      My under quilt made by Stormcrow has large channels across the bottom, its black on one side to aid in drying out on the side closest to the skin in the sun. The other side is camo colored, both are sill and treated - the shock cords go from front to back and click in on the eyeloops of the hammock. ITs a three quarter so I can still enter from the bottom of the Hennessy. It can be compressed to a small grapefruit as its the latest down and weight is nothing when shoved on top of the 1 pound top quilt, in a sil nylon waterproof bag. Here is a pic FYI I don't hike with it all the time... a 3/4 ridge rest will also work in the spring and fall, found that out a few years back.

[IMG:http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/DSCF3693.jpg]">
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Found some instructions that show channels on each end and sewn-in loops in each corner, rather than channels on the long sides. That's probably what I'll do.
      It's easier to adjust the UQ with channels down the sides, just slide the quilt where you want it without getting up, but then, once you have the quilt with loops adjusted you don't need to change it, just mark it so you put the head/foot ends the same each time, I have one of each, either works fine.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Found some instructions that show channels on each end and sewn-in loops in each corner, rather than channels on the long sides. That's probably what I'll do.
      It's easier to adjust the UQ with channels down the sides, just slide the quilt where you want it without getting up, but then, once you have the quilt with loops adjusted you don't need to change it, just mark it so you put the head/foot ends the same each time, I have one of each, either works fine.
      Ok, I will do some more research about the channels. It just seemed easier to not do the channels down the sides.

One thing I don't understand is why the channels need to be made out of fabric strips? On my hammock, I sewed the channel directly into my fabric but everything I've seen for UQ's show the channels being made with strips or grosgrain and then attached to the fabric...seems like a lot more work.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Ok, I will do some more research about the channels. It just seemed easier to not do the channels down the sides.
      One thing I don't understand is why the channels need to be made out of fabric strips? On my hammock, I sewed the channel directly into my fabric but everything I've seen for UQ's show the channels being made with strips or grosgrain and then attached to the fabric...seems like a lot more work.
      Channels are sewn into the fabric on the one I have, I see no need for anything else.
    • Foresight wrote:

Like said, the channels on the side make it easier to position the UQ or to move it if need be. As for the channels, either is fine (grossgrain or existing fabric) I just used grossgrain because it was easier for me.
      I wasn't thinking...I forgot the edge with the sewn-in channel was a bit challenging. I kept thinking about putting all those layers together and pinning them but there would be less room for error.

It feels like Christmas. I got some Joann's coupons and bought a nice rotary cutter and mat. There's a reason I've resisted learning how to sew! ^^
    • I think the best way might actually be to do a double rolled hem for all your channels on one piece of fabric with the stitch line being near the outside. Then cut the other to size and sew it all together. The only thing you'd have to remember would be to have the hem layered between the two pieces of fabric so that that it would be accessible when turned right side out.

Since you're on a buying spree you should go ahead and get you one of them hem roller attachment thingies to put on your presser foot, it's a must have, y'know :D
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Great videos, Woo. I've seen the first one but not the second. I'm sure I'll ask a lot of questions when I start working with down. My first down project is going to be a vest.

I didn't use down in my quilts because I have no intention of using the hammock in cold weather and I wanted to learn to sew before tackling something that difficult.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Great videos, Woo. I've seen the first one but not the second. I'm sure I'll ask a lot of questions when I start working with down. My first down project is going to be a vest.

I didn't use down in my quilts because I have no intention of using the hammock in cold weather and I wanted to learn to sew before tackling something that difficult.
      I added that second video to the video section of the site. It's probably the best I've seen.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Great videos, Woo. I've seen the first one but not the second. I'm sure I'll ask a lot of questions when I start working with down. My first down project is going to be a vest.

There will be a learning curve as to how to handle down without having it all over the place.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

There will be a learning curve as to how to handle down without having it all over the place.
      Yeah, I've heard about that. Probably more interesting than working on headresses for the Boy Scout Order of the Arrow dance team. Gluing fluffs on the ends of turkey feathers painted to look like eagle feathers, along with the requisite number of horse hairs. Happy Days ! :P
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

TJ - its NOT about super cold weather camping. I jumped into this because my thyroid exploded and needed to be removed. After that - my ability to regulate my body temps at night went south. A 3/4 that is less than a pound and has down compresses to a grapefruit - so does the the top quilt. Less space in your pack. Hense going forward the 3/4 will be in my pack in spring and fall.

Also some down is shipped in tubes of plastic, one can purchase this and ram the tubes into the sewing and remove the plastic and leave the feathers in place. Les the sweat of getting them in there.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Regardless of manufacturer, I don't believe I've read where anyone on Hammockforums.com was not happy with quilts bought from a cottage shop...I like the 20* TQ and UQ I got from HG and like the torso 25* synthetic I got from Arrowhead Equipment, I use the synthetic for float trips and other warm weather outings and use the HG for cold weather backpacking.
    • Another plug for Enlightened Equipment. My quilt that I sent back for more down got temporarily lost by the USPS so the 2 day priority delivery took seven days. But when I opened the box I found my quilt plus they gave me a storage sack for it! Those guys are great.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Drybones wrote:

Regardless of manufacturer, I don't believe I've read where anyone on Hammockforums.com was not happy with quilts bought from a cottage shop...I like the 20* TQ and UQ I got from HG and like the torso 25* synthetic I got from Arrowhead Equipment, I use the synthetic for float trips and other warm weather outings and use the HG for cold weather backpacking.
      Same here, but I just like making my own stuff almost as much as I like using it.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.