Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Made a tarp this morning

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Made a tarp this morning

Just a basic silnylon 10x12 rectangle. Doors are being blown in by the wind, they actually extend out a good ways from where they are shown. I still need to get inside with the hammock and decide a.) if I need another tie out point to draw the tarp away from the hammock and b.) where the tie outs need to be if I decide I need them. I'm seriously considering putting a zipper on the doors for the winter.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Foresight wrote:

Just a basic silnylon 10x12 rectangle. Doors are being blown in by the wind, they actually extend out a good ways from where they are shown. I still need to get inside with the hammock and decide a.) if I need another tie out point to draw the tarp away from the hammock and b.) where the tie outs need to be if I decide I need them. I'm seriously considering putting a zipper on the doors for the winter.
      looks great, nice job.

...if you go the zipper route, in effect you'd have a floor less tent that hovers above the ground, pretty slick.
    • socks wrote:

does the ridge line stop at the tie outs, not going all the way through? if so, I like that, less wear on the fabric.

...if not, please disregard my assumption.
      Well....it does and it doesn't, lol. I sewed in a channel for the ridgeline to run through the tarp AND put tie outs on the end so I could do both. My thinking on this is I can run the ridgeline through and leave it there for simplicity's sake at set up and use the tie outs to tension the ridge of the tarp to relieve the wear on the fabric that you mentioned.
    • I have so much DIY stuff it ain't even funny, so, yes, I FULLY understand.....

I made my hammock, bug net and stuff sacks as well. I'd hate to count how many stoves I've made.

I discovered the price of cuben fiber and said "not gonna happen", lol. The weight savings with cuben is in your wallet.

Heck, my hammock, tarp, big net and suspension comes in under two pounds as it is....
    • SandyofPA wrote:

Very nice tarp! You do know that tarps are the gateway to DIY obsession. I started with a Ray-way tarp kit in 2011, then stuff sacks, backpacks, sleep quilts, rain gear, bug nets, alcohol stoves. And then I discovered Cuben Fiber and started all over again!
      Do you sew cuben or tape it, may try making a tarp.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

Very nice tarp! You do know that tarps are the gateway to DIY obsession. I started with a Ray-way tarp kit in 2011, then stuff sacks, backpacks, sleep quilts, rain gear, bug nets, alcohol stoves. And then I discovered Cuben Fiber and started all over again!
      Do you sew cuben or tape it, may try making a tarp.
      You can do either or both. if I am making something I want strong and waterproof, I sew and then tape. it is very difficult to sew thru the cuben tape as it will gum up your needle after just a couple of stitches.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I made another tarp today, pretty much the same as the one Foresight made only out of silpoly, was in a hurry to hang it so I did so without a snake skin, in high wind...you don't want to do that, the wind whipped the guy lines into a backlash you wouldn't believe. I doubt I'll leave the doors on and will most likely shorten the width by 12", too much surface area for the wind to catch and too many stakes required, I believe the silpoly will work better than the silnylon...less stretch.
    • It's time to start figuring out a tarp and ridgeline for my hammock. I'll try to weed through the bazillions of posts and info on HF and see if I can get a basic understanding.

First up, material. I'm not going to start with CF. There's a lot of neat fabric on the market. Ideas, suggestions, sewing instructions are appreciated.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

It's time to start figuring out a tarp and ridgeline for my hammock. I'll try to weed through the bazillions of posts and info on HF and see if I can get a basic understanding.

First up, material. I'm not going to start with CF. There's a lot of neat fabric on the market. Ideas, suggestions, sewing instructions are appreciated.
      There's a new coated poly material on Ripstop by the roll that weighs .93 oz/yd, been deliberating on getting some for a tarp or just going ahead and buying a cuben fiber with doors, which is where I'll eventually end up anyway.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

It's time to start figuring out a tarp and ridgeline for my hammock. I'll try to weed through the bazillions of posts and info on HF and see if I can get a basic understanding.

There's a new coated poly material on Ripstop by the roll that weighs .93 oz/yd, been deliberating on getting some for a tarp or just going ahead and buying a cuben fiber with doors, which is where I'll eventually end up anyway.
      Is it the Membrane SilPoly?

I'm pretty sure my bug net will be pre-made. I was thinking a Fronkey. Will that affect the shape of my tarp? Does it use the same ridgeline as the tarp?

dutchwaregear.com/fronkey-style-bugnet.html
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Is it the Membrane SilPoly?
      I'm pretty sure my bug net will be pre-made. I was thinking a Fronkey. Will that affect the shape of my tarp? Does it use the same ridgeline as the tarp?

dutchwaregear.com/fronkey-style-bugnet.html
      The Fronkey does use your existing hammock ridgeline and has no affect on the tarp, I made one from some cheap netting I got at Walmart, weighs 5 oz, works great but is a little bit of a hassle to put on, I'm thinking of making a net similar to Dutche's Half Wit that can be put on/off easily and has minimal weight. I believe membrane silpoly is what they call that material, the more I think about it the more I lean toward the cuben fiber.
    • I love the Ultimate Hang site! The info is easy to understand for noobs like me. It's much better than trying to weed through Hammock Forums for basic stuff.

theultimatehang.com/2012/09/choosing-a-tarp-for-a-hammock/

The Hex12 instructions from Rip stop by the roll look fairly easy. I'm probably going to make one but haven't decided if I will do a catenary cut.
    • Drybones wrote:

I made another tarp today, pretty much the same as the one Foresight made only out of silpoly, was in a hurry to hang it so I did so without a snake skin, in high wind...you don't want to do that, the wind whipped the guy lines into a backlash you wouldn't believe. I doubt I'll leave the doors on and will most likely shorten the width by 12", too much surface area for the wind to catch and too many stakes required, I believe the silpoly will work better than the silnylon...less stretch.
      Where is a good source to buy silpoly?
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • sheepdog wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I made another tarp today, pretty much the same as the one Foresight made only out of silpoly, was in a hurry to hang it so I did so without a snake skin, in high wind...you don't want to do that, the wind whipped the guy lines into a backlash you wouldn't believe. I doubt I'll leave the doors on and will most likely shorten the width by 12", too much surface area for the wind to catch and too many stakes required, I believe the silpoly will work better than the silnylon...less stretch.
      ripstopbytheroll.com
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Any thoughts on silpoly vs silpoly PU 4000?

The 4000 is the "high water resistance" version of silpoly.
      The weight difference doesn't seem significant to me, 1.1 for silpoly and 1.4 for PU4000.

ripstopbytheroll.com/collectio…cts/1-1-oz-silpoly-pu4000
      I'd get the silpoly that weighs .93 oz/yd, I believe the PU 4000 is 1.1 oz/yd, IMO, as long as you tie the tarp such that there are not standing puddles on it there should be no difference.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

The weight difference doesn't seem significant to me, 1.1 for silpoly and 1.4 for PU4000.

I'd get the silpoly that weighs .93 oz/yd, I believe the PU 4000 is 1.1 oz/yd, IMO, as long as you tie the tarp such that there are not standing puddles on it there should be no difference.
      Ugh, three blah colors to choose from. :D

Actually, I'm debating going with the forest color but I really want dark purple or red.
    • Drybones wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

Drybones wrote:

ripstopbytheroll.com
      cool stuff
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Ugh, three blah colors to choose from. :D
      Actually, I'm debating going with the forest color but I really want dark purple or red.
      That's why I didn't order any when I first thought I'd make another tarp, they have more colors coming but I don't know when, I made the mistake of ordering a color I didn't really want because they had the same situation when they started stocking the 1.1 silpoly, right after I made the tarp they have all kinds of colors, I've just about decided to bite the bullet and buy that $300 cuben tarp with doors from Hammock Gear that weighs 6.5 oz anyway.
    • This is the one I made from 1.1 silpoly, they called the color chocolate but it looks more like black, didn't like it at first but after using it under a full moon I kinda like it, I did make it too long though, debated on whether to rework it or make another, then the .93 material came along and I decided another, made 12' and should have made 11' at the most.
      Images
      • 2015_0820ctrail0001.JPG

193.24 kB, 800×600, viewed 434 times
    • Drybones wrote:

This is the one I made from 1.1 silpoly, they called the color chocolate but it looks more like black, didn't like it at first but after using it under a full moon I kinda like it, I did make it too long though, debated on whether to rework it or make another, then the .93 material came along and I decided another, made 12' and should have made 11' at the most.
      Are you using a ridgeline?
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

This is the one I made from 1.1 silpoly, they called the color chocolate but it looks more like black, didn't like it at first but after using it under a full moon I kinda like it, I did make it too long though, debated on whether to rework it or make another, then the .93 material came along and I decided another, made 12' and should have made 11' at the most.
      If I understand the question correctly, no, each end of the tarp has a line lock same as your tent has, the small guy line I use will slip under a lot of pressure so I do a quick loop knot (name unknown) to keep it from slipping, just pull the line to release the knot, quick set up and take down, the end that goes around the tree has those tiny titanium hooks from Dutchware.

dutchwaregear.com/linelocs-3.html
      dutchwaregear.com/dutch-hooks.html

The post was edited 1 time, last by Drybones ().

• Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

If I understand the question correctly, no, each end of the tarp has a line lock same as your tent has, the small guy line I use will slip under a lot of pressure so I do a quick loop knot (name unknown) to keep it from slipping, just pull the line to release the knot, quick set up and take down, the end that goes around the tree has those tiny titanium hooks from Dutchware.
      I have the Grog Knots app on my phone. Being a man I don't reference it very often, but when I do I try not to let anyone catch me looking, lol.

animatedknots.com/iphonedetails.php#ScrollPoint
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

That is similar to the the set up in Shug's first video. I have a whoopie sling adjustable ridgeline, just have to figure out how it works.
    • Foresight wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

If I understand the question correctly, no, each end of the tarp has a line lock same as your tent has, the small guy line I use will slip under a lot of pressure so I do a quick loop knot (name unknown) to keep it from slipping, just pull the line to release the knot, quick set up and take down, the end that goes around the tree has those tiny titanium hooks from Dutchware.dutchwaregear.com/linelocs-3.html
      I have the Grog Knots app on my phone. Being a man I don't reference it very often, but when I do I try not to let anyone catch me looking, lol.
      animatedknots.com/iphonedetails.php#ScrollPoint
      That's an awesome app, I'm getting it!